Shitefest Cymru - 16th-18th May 2014

dollywobbler

EDIT - Key info

16th-18th May 2014

Hafod Hotel, Devil's Bridge, nr Aberystwyth, SY23 3JL. Go to the rear car park, on the road to Cwmystwyth. If you come over the mountain road from Rhayader, look for the car park on the left-hand side, shortly after the 30mph sign in Devil's Bridge.

There is a pub quiz at about 9pm on the Friday. If there's no-one in the car park, this is why.

There will be a trip out to The Internal Fire Museum (www.internalfire.com) on the Saturday evening, departing the hotel at 5pm-ish. Return will not be until gone 9pm in all probability, so don't arrive between these two times!

Hotel phone number: 01970 890232

Original Post

There has been discussion about the possibility of a Welsh Shitefest. Possibly to take place conveniently close to my house.

Now, I know it's a bloody long way for many people, so I'd be looking to make it at least a two-nighter - it's a lovely place for a holiday if you fancied making a proper holiday out of it.

But is it a stretch too far? From pretty much any entry point into Wales from England, I'm about 2hrs away. Birmingham is comfortably 3hrs away, Liverpool, Taunton and Bristol about the same. Six-cylinder knows how far away it is as he and his chums visit the area every year.

I have cunning plans already, which largely involve some very scenic drives (with the possibility of a bit of very soft greenlaning that cars could cope with) and a possible visit to the Internal Fire Museum. It has engines.

I'd probably look to do something earlier in the year, before the summer season really gets underway - so April or May.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Typical scenery.

165879_10151147966583200_1451571071_n.jp

552727_10151147966348200_2083792255_n.jp

200755_10150158241203200_4225376_n.jpg

Ah, fair point. Chumley was ok, but to be honest I think I had more fun in that shit pub afterwards, after our nightmare convoy (that I somehow ended up leading to a pub vaguely described but hard to find). It has become a staple Shite meet up though, so I wouldn't want to clash with it. Maybe I'll have to be patient and do it next September (August is probably out as it'll be full of tourists here, which'll make finding a suitable venue tricky).

I wouldn't mind this, it's a long distance from me yet again though so will have to wait nearer the time to see what happens.

I did want to do one down here once as there's a excellent camping field near Bury St. Edmunds which has a museum next door full of old shite and cars but most Northern types didn't want to drive this far when I asked about it before.

I wouldn't mind this, it's a long distance from me yet again though so will have to wait nearer the time to see what happens.

I did want to do one down here once as there's a excellent camping field near Bury St. Edmunds which has a museum next door full of old shite and cars but most Northern types didn't want to drive this far when I asked about it before.

If it happens, put me down for this also. 390 miles to Bury Noel Edmonds. There are no sea crossings so no issues are foreseen.

I'm up for it, of course! CMS_Andy has a valid point and made it well.

Naturally, only a minority of those expressing interest will actually turn up (prove me wrong you lot!), but whoever does come will have a most spiffing time yo, fo' sho'.

CopyofP1130226_zps45c608d5.jpg

All depends on my bank balance, whether I have any working cars at the time, and whether I could persuade Barrett (or another SE shiter) to car share and split petrol costs, but I'd be up for it if possible!

Was pretty annoyed to miss out in this year's do, but there was no way I could come realistically.