Peugeot 306 d for sale

garbaldy

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I hate it too. I've rescued a few cortinas and spent money on them to "save" them only to find them being banger raced just a few months later.

One in particular - a 40,000 mile cortina crusader back in about 2005. Serviced every 6 months regardless of use and laid up a couple of years earlier when the old man owner gave up driving.

It was festering in his garden so I knocked his door, made an offer and saved the thing. Wasnt mint but very tidy... probably could have done with a couple of new wings but not drastically so.

Spent a bit of money getting it tested and sold it on at a small loss. Saw it a couple of months later and it had been OMG SLAMMED YO and brush painted matt black, despite the original paint being absolutely fine.

Said new owner then raced it six months later when he got fed up with it. Wish I'd just left it in the old boy's garden.

I suppose the loss of a 2001 Focus isnt something to cry over, its just that the thing is so tidy and drives so well (bar the slipping clutch) that I feel guilty.

I dont like the thought of putting a clutch in and renewing the MoT only to end up out of pocket selling the thing for £300 or something so probably best I just bail out now.

You get the warm fuzzy glow that the car lived on though. Have to say I'm flabbergasted you didn't get more for the pug. I watched an S reg Golf in very average condition sell at Kinross market a couple of months back for £1200 which to me was ridiculous money... Anything smallish and diesel, no matter how crap, was selling for strong bucks.

I'd have happily parted with £400 for that pug had I been in the market for one.

Its possibly a location thing - Berwick's not a big place,  and folk after a cheapo just wont travel.

I looked over the Focus and couldnt see it needing anything other than a couple of tyres for its test so doing the clutch and bunging a couple of part worns on it I reckoned I could come out a hundred or so quid up on just scrapping it, but then I'd be taking the gamble that it didnt fail on anything else, and I'd have to keep it insured etc meantime, then deal with ebay mongs.

I suppose a lot of cars with plenty of life left must get binned for much the same reasons... The annoying thing is when I'm looking for one all I can find are utter turds.