I'm conducting a poll. Global warming, real or cobblers?

londonm

Anyone wondered why Bill Oddie disappeared? Twas because he was a nay sayer about global warming, well it's source anyway.

Only last week 'they' realised they hadn't taken into account the massive, and I'm talking 10s of millions of cubic feet, of global warming gases released when the tectonic plates shift and you get gas release from the ocean floor.

Oooops mere oversight.

Is that natural fracking?

Just because the world goes through natural cycles and data is cherry-picked and hijacked for political/marketing reasons doesn't mean that human activity isn't contributing to climate change.

I thought Bill Oddie disappeared because he was a massive twat that nobody liked working with. Clarkson is a much more influential figure than Bill Oddie ever was and he's still around.

I hail from a "green" country, we are told that we are not in fact green and are contributing massively to global warming, so something must be done, and our cows fart too ! The solution, tax the population for carbon emissions and tax the farmers for each cow fart (It actually is a cow belch) .

Problem solved!

We also have been told that China produces 100,000 times the carbon emissions of little NZ, so therefore if NZ stops emitting any carbon etc the world will be saved.

Total bollocks.......and as stated elsewhere the planet is going through a natural warming cycle.

I don't dispute that there is perhaps some global warming but from what I've seen - and I'm no scientist - it seems to be a natural occuring cycle. If fossil fuels have much to do with that I personally doubt and tbh I'm not about to change what I do because of it.

as I said on the faceache forum, cobblers. If it was true then why the fook are huge diesel burning tankers/cargo ships and cruise liners still going back & forth across the oceans with no emission control and why are there more and more aircraft journeys taken year on year. The car had virtually fook all influence on it but the motorist is a very easy target.

Re Shipping - there are some relatively tough emission control standards applied to shipping and legislation due next year will make it tougher (read more expensive). I haven't got the exact details to hand but from either late next year or early 2015 all passenger / freight shipping in much of Western Europe will be required to use a higher grade of diesel with less sulphur content which is approx 40% more expensive. Obviously that extra cost will end up being passed onto the consumer.  And shipping is by far the most environmentally friendly way of moving huge amounts of stuff around at present.

Theres also a fair amount of technology on newer shipping to reduce emissions already - sulphur scrubbers and what have you but obviously that doesn't apply to all the older stuff floating about in the far east etc.

Yes, I do believe its real but I think that many politicians/scientists/liars are keen to "big up" the issue in order to scare us into changing our ways, IMO the industrial revolution in Britain & rest of world contributed MASSIVELY to the problem, perhaps more than we are contributing today, give motorist an electric car that is reliable, attractive, does 200+ miles on one charge, put charging points EVERYWHERE, and make the Leccy cheaper then we might change our ways, but until then...... Sorry for rambling on

Anyone wondered why Bill Oddie disappeared? Twas because he was a nay sayer about global warming, well it's source anyway.

You may be confusing him with David Bellamy, renowned botanist, conservationist and Lenny Henry lookalike, who disgracefully got the boot from the BBC when he proved the global warming industry to be a pack of liars. However I am pleased to say he is still alive and well and dishing out awards for real conservation :) 

maybe saying shipping has no emission control was taking it a bit far and sure, it is the most environmentally friendly way to move stuff but we didn't need all that cr4p 50 years ago so why do we need it now?

I did read somwhere that the ships had tigher emission control near ports/land that out in open water too. And what I really meant on the facebook is that if we are making that much of an impact why is it o.k to still keep using billions of gallons of the stuff up in these ships and aeroplanes?

And lets not forget dinosaurs also let off a bit of co2 65million years ago too..

Re: electric power, it has to be produced somewhere. We have power stations burning.....errr, fossil fuels!  

And yes, I know we have a few wind farms and hydo power here and there but how much does it cost to make/build/transport one wind turbine?

Yes, I do believe its real but I think that many politicians/scientists/liars are keen to "big up" the issue in order to scare us into changing our ways, IMO the industrial revolution in Britain & rest of world contributed MASSIVELY to the problem, perhaps more than we are contributing today, give motorist an electric car that is reliable, attractive, does 200+ miles on one charge, put charging points EVERYWHERE, and make the Leccy cheaper then we might change our ways, but until then...... Sorry for rambling on

I do wonder how we are to power these electric cars? David Cameron is always banging on about a so called energy crisis with black outs looming. Apparently there is not enough power to to quench our demand for computers, TVs and so on. So how does he plan to power all these electric cars that everyone is supposedly going to be driving if I cant even power my phone?

Truth is he is not. Electric cars are all just a flash in the pan to create 'green' spin. Even with other technologies being developed its still oil for the future and governments around the world realise that hence why they are continuously arguing over the stuff. 

It may well be happening all right, but mankind's contribution to it is in the tenths of one percent, and the evil* car responsible for about a tenth of that.

But it's a good scam for them to tax the fuck out of us so it's all good.

I'm glad I'll be dead before the shit really starts hitting the fan.

You think fuel & energy are expensive now? Wait till China, India and Brazil all decide they want cars, iThings and Starbucks coffee, we'll have no chance.

War is coming....

+1

We all exist and we all buy stuff, humans are massive consumers of resources. No matter how many excuses we make, or what we do. Does it matter if we buy something for a pound that is made in the UK, or buy it for ten pence from China? The effect on the planet is the same. Except that if we buy it from China etc more fuel is used to get it conveniently to our door... Same goes for any exporting country.

The planet cares not one jot how much we paid, where it comes from, or why it's used.

So, less oil is used to make plastics if we don't get a carrier bag with our shopping, fine, but we will use the oil up just as fast in other ways. More oil to use etc.

We're all doomed! Just possibly* not in our lifetime....

I met David Bellamy at a BBQ my ex boss organised.  He was brilliant entertainment and liked a drop to drink too!  He did briefly* mention why he is persona non grata with the broadcast media...

The difficulty I have with this issue is that not all of the science or opinions are being openly or honestly represented.  Words like "deniers" are being bandied about in the same way as holocaust "deniers". Regardless of the worth of the arguments, that sort of branding goes nowhere to assist in arriving at any sort of consensus on what the problems are and how they are to be tackled.

The quality of the informed debate seems to be:-  "In the red corner George Mombiot and in the blue corner Jeremy Clarkson  -  fight! "

50% Truth 50% Bollocks.

The climate is changing, all we have to do is look at the flash flooding we’ve been getting and generally screwy weather. And yes the polar ice caps are melting. 

But are we all doomed? Probably not.

But it’s been milked within an inch of it’s life as a money spinner by the government. Cars probably contribute to it. But so do cows farts.

However, I don’t give a flying monkey’s toss about global warming.

Guest Ratbike

As it's your first post, can I be traditional and say:

"LET'S HAVE SOME PICTURES THEN..."

I'll work on it, going to get my right Achillies tendon reattached tomorrow so it might be a few days / weeks / months (delete as appropriate)

Enjoy learning to walk again. I had mine operated on a few years ago and whilst I have now got a vast amount of movement in my foot I walked like a drunken tit for a long time before I regained a reasonable gait. Good luck with the op.

Right, GW. Hmm. Climate change is happening, we are also consuming natural resources at a scary rate, the population is expanding like you wouldn't believe. Eventually the sun will go supanova and the Earth will go boom. Get over it.

Actually, my biggest issue is the over population. Do families need more than a couple of kids? I have one (no medals please, oh go on then, just a small one). I despair when I see the fuckwits (anywhere) who have 6 or 7 kids and no means of supporting them. Why, what is the need? Yes, we can all see that you are either uber fertile, stupid, too lazy to use anything or all of the above. There have been campaigns going on for years re: contraception in 3rd world countries (UK included lol) and then you have the RC church saying that contraception will make you end up in hell. Really?

Oh, and blame all of the cows for farting too much. Mind you, if we didn't eat beef and drink milk then we wouldn't need cows. I haz a solution!!! One big enormous AS BBQ to rid the world of cows. Fabulous. I'll go and buy the cheese squares.

Oh, just in case...... I wasn't taking myself too seriously in this posting (apart from the BBQ perhaps and about the tendon thing). 

Its over population that will destroy the human race.

Look up exponential population growth if you dont believe me.

Actually, my biggest issue is the over population.

I think you both have a very good point.

On that topic, this is quite an interesting website: http://populationmatters.org/about/

Apparently in this country it is (or was) optimal to have 5 kids to get the maximum out of child benefit/working tax credits. I know this as my cousin works for the tax office and had.....5 kids.

The RC church doesn't help either does it...and many immigrants to this country are....Roman Catholic.

So possibly why you see many large families. I mustardmit, when I was a kid I can't remember any friends having more than 1 brother or sister.

If you want to see how much the Government cares about emissions, just go to the Dartford Crossing on a Friday afternoon. Miles and miles of stationary traffic, just so they can nab their 2 quid off of you. It's a fiver for hgv's.

Cash is king, sod the planet.

I am also a believer that the earth's climate goes in circles.

I don't think anything we can do will stop it.

It's not really about stopping it anymore though, is it? It's about adapting to a new situation and trying to limit our affects on a changing world.

Costs too much money though and we've got this deficit doncha know... Far more important than some planet or other...

The overpopulation definitely won't help, especially in countries that are expected to see massive droughts and famines in the next 50 years.

It all comes down to selfishness, doesn't it? If you've got, say, 2 healthy children then why the hell should you have any more? I have very strong views on this, to the point where I'm probably viewed as a crank by most people who know me! In an ideal world people wouldn't have to think about how many kids it is "socially responsible" to have, and part of the reason I find nostalgia so comforting is that I can clearly remember when we were not constantly bombarded by predictions of doom from the media - maybe we were just living in blissful ignorance of the state of the world back then, but I can't be the only one who feels that in recent years all we have been getting is dire warnings of the consequences of human activity on the planet. I think if you are at all susceptible to anxiety and depression, as I am, all these scare stories gnaw away at you and leave you feeling kind of hopeless - and also can make you feel anger and resentment towards those around you who gleefully declare that they couldn't care less, and will go on reproducing and consuming as much as they jolly well like! Don't get me started on religion...

Melbourne; hottest March in Aussies short memory...coldest winter...the thermometer level in Aussie has been raised a 5 bar so we can now happily announce that its 50C in the shade...whilst the smoke on the horizon aka bushfire can out-run any family in a V8 Falcon before u can say BBQ...meanwhile in New Zealand...Wellington recently got blown over by a bad case of earthquake weather ...

A really good epidemic of hideous disease used to cull off and sort out over population to a degree.The bubonic plague wiped out half of Europe in 1913 / 14 , just think how many more people there would possibly be if it hadnt ,  Now every one lives longer and therefor using more resources .

If China expands as its doing and getting all westernised building new cities , cars and building  power stations like theres no tomorrow then maybe there wont be.

India is close behind and not helping .

There is only one way to save this planet .

Human extinction which is  not going to get many votes in government .