Classics on the Common, Harpenden - 31 July 2013

Wilko220

Just got back from an enjoyable few hours roaming around the above event in between pints at the Silver Cup inn. I think I saw Barrett's Herald but, sadly, it was unattended. Likewise for Seth's Minx. Still a great event as always though.

Didn't get a photo of it but, interestingly, I started drooling over a newly-restored Bristol 411 only to subsequently realise that the bloke who had brought it along was employed by Bristol and, as part of his job, tours the shows with this, basically, PR car. Very polite youngish chap - certainly not from the Tony Crook school of customer service. He even fired up the engine for us to have a listen without asking to see my Diner's Club card first. According to him, the design for the new Bristol is due to be unveiled next year.

Right, pictures then. I'll start with this

SD530617.JPG

SD530618.JPG

Think I would have preferred the Sherpa TBH. Oh well, a technical achievement anyway.

This caught my eye, simply because I have never seen one or even heard of the manufacturer before. I expect you all have and I'm just slow/uneducated/imbecilic...

SD530592.JPG

SD530593.JPG

This is the London to Cape Town Maestro as plugged on ChinkymotorsOnline.

SD530609.JPG

This sign begs the question...

SD530615x.JPG

...why on earth do this to it then?

SD530615.JPG

Still, his car, his choice. Certainly attracted a crowd anyway.

As did this monstrosity - I managed to not bring back up my chips for long enough to take the picture

SD530605.JPG

This is specially for our friend Studebaker. I couldn't find a Hawk but hopefully this cool dude in pale yellow will do.

SD530590.JPG

SD530591.JPG

Speaking of yellow, it was very nice to see this two-door still in base spec...

SD530596.JPG

...And here are some old men eating ice cream, with a bonus Triumph Vitesse

SD530600.JPG

This appears to still be in use by a local firm

SD530599.JPG

Don't know what this is doing with Princess wheels on... :)

SD530601.JPG

Nice photos Wilko.  The pair of Lotus 11s and the close by rat look Rometsch coupe were my highlights I think.  I'll probably be at Croxley next week.

Cheers Seth.

Do you need to have registered for Croxley is it just a case of turning up with your car?

Good stuff, my first time at CotC after the Simca engine disaster on our way there last year. Day started off pretty good with this random occurrence when buying some oil in the morning

9409635625_dbd854be67_z.jpg

heralds! by barrogance, on Flickr

...but sadly the curse of the burgundy 1960s saloon car on the M25 struck again, with some major clutch slippage causing an amusing* kangaroo type motion as the prop struggled to transfer any power to the diff. I deemed this probably unsafe for motorway driving (even by my low H&S standards) so decided to bite the bullet and call the nice man with the yellow van

45232_10151765788172254_850973479_n.jpg

Just got back thanks to Mr.AA at about 12.30, 5 hours or so after leaving Harpenden. Drove GC back to his and then back home, car seems absolutely fine now of course. Have to drive to work in it in a few hours as there are no other working cars on the fleet at present. I'm pretty sure everything is going to be fine.

Some proper quality cars there, brilliant work Mr.Wilko !

One day I will have a Panhard ! I would love a 24, but even rough ones are well outside my price range. However, there's plenty* of decrepit 17s in France which I can stretch to and which would only* require a decade of work and dozens of unavailable parts before they become driveable.