Modernshite Road Test #1 - Insignia

406V6

The focus in Autoshite is on the old stuff but I think newer stuff is worthy of coverage too. I recently spent a few days driving a Vauxhall Insiginia SRi hire car – a fully modernshite motor in the view of most enthusiasts. Here follows a brief road test. Views are entirely my own.

insignia-by-406V6_zps9678cd12.jpg

I’m not one of those “Vauxhalls-r-sh*t†bods and approach cars with an open mind rather than judge them by their badge (*). In the 90s I chose various Vauxhalls as company cars and all were good in their different ways. The last was a Vectra V6 SRi which proved to be an excellent car over 3 years – fast, reliable, economical, spacious, comfortable and with reasonable road feel & handling. The only reasons I didn’t choose another when the lease ran out were: i) the lack of an autobox and ii) having driven a 406. The Peugeot beats the Vectra in every respect except for carrying space where I would have preferred a hatchback. The quietness and smoothness of the Peugeot V6 are exceptional, even by the high standard of the British-built Vauxhall 2.5 V6. Anyway, on to the test.

(*) Except modern Renaults which really are sh*t.

First impressions of the Insignia were its sheer size and poor visibility to the rear. The driver’s seat was comfortable but Its low driving position and high belt line felt like sitting low down in a huge bath. It was 3 days before I discovered a tiny button on the side of the seat giving electric adjustment of the seat height which gave several valuable inches of elevation and improved forward & side visibility. The driving position itself wasn’t ideal for me as the steering wheel only adjusts for height and I’d have preferred it to adjust a little closer to me so that I could put the seat further back.

The main driving controls were all good – smooth clutch, precise gearchange and decent brakes. The steering was very good with a precise feel and reasonable weight – far ahead of my old Vectra. Once on the move the ride was good for a car with such low profile tyres. It still jolted a little over bumps but was never uncomfortable and was far better than a typical Audi although not as good as my 15 inch wheeled 406. The car had an electric handbrake which I didn’t get on with. What’s wrong with a good old-fashioned manual handbrake where operation is simple and easily understood ? And in a triumph for ergonomics the terrible electronic indicator stalk of the 2003 Vectra has been replaced by a traditional stalk that works perfectly well.

Unfortunately the performance was, let’s say, leisurely. It was definitely inadequate in the trouser department. The engine in this car was, I believe a 1.8 litre petrol. It certainly didn’t have the oomph I’d expect from a 2-litre and was far short of the torque from a modern diesel. It had a diesel-like noise when revved too – not exactly what I would call quiet by 21st century standards.

The weather was hot throughout the test period and the climate control worked superbly - easy to use and kept the inside cool. The FM radio was also very good with fine reception and sound quality plus an excellent autostore function.

Oddment space in the cabin was barely adequate. Although the door bin held a small water bottle (without getting heated up while parked) there was nowhere around the console to put my satnav and it had to rest on the passenger seat. Luggage space in the hatch was very good.

Over 3 days and 500 miles the fuel economy was 35mpg on the trip computer which I suppose is OK but I was still disappointed for a modern car. Driven the same way my old Vectra 2.5 V6 would have done about the same mpg while my 14 year old 406 with a 3 litre V6 and auto box would have delivered 33 to 34 mpg. Modern engines might be better than their 15 year old predecessors but the cars themselves are a lot heavier and this drags down the mpg. It showed me that there can be minimal penalty in fuel consumption when driving a large-engined car and at the same time there is much better refinement and performance available.

In summary the Insiginia did everything I asked it to. It was good to drive on the open road provided I didn’t want rapid acceleration. But parking and reversing were a nightmare. Would I buy one ? No. Too big, awkward and slow.

I hate the darned things. There's a bit of trim on the passenger side of the dash which reflects in sunlight, and can distract the driver... The damping is just too jiggly for comfort, and the visibility, as you quite rightly say, something akin to dreadful.

I've been considering doing a thread like this for some time now, and strangely enough, was going to start with this car!

I had one probably 2 years ago now, an 1800 SRi, in black, and whilst it was by no means "fun" to drive, if I'd been "given" it as a company hack, I'd be happy with it. As long as i wasn't expected to get anywhere especially quickly. As mine was a hire car, I gave it the most horrendous treatment imaginable, and nothing broke, fell off, or exploded. It was 9 months old, with 13,000ish on the clock, and it appeared that it had been cleaned using Brillo pads, and the front end had what appeared to be the onset of bubonic plague. Aside from some other small quality issues - i wasn't keen on some of the plastics etc, the interior was an ok place to be; certainly roomy enough, and it was quiet at most speeds, and the ride was ok-ish, considering the "sporty" pretentions attached to the SRi badges. I'll agree that reversing and parking were a bit of a chore, but I got used to it pretty quickly, and managed to give it back to Europcar unscathed after 6 weeks.

I don't remember what the mpg was; I have a fuel card 8)  but I don't remember it being THAT bad.

Oh, and that electronic handbrake is a massive pain in the arse, denying herberts such as myself the opportunity to do handbrake turns, to impress teh bitches.

All in all, not bad, thankfully due to badge snobbery and over-supply these'll be as cheap as chips in 5 years, and we'll see if they really are shit, or shite.

The car had an electric handbrake which I didn’t get on with. What’s wrong with a good old-fashioned manual handbrake where operation is simple and easily understood ?

A mate of mine has just returned from Ireland, and had an Insignia as a hire car.

His initial impressions, as expressed via text mesage;

"Been given an Opel Insignia. Smells like a Vauxhall. Shit handbrake."

I will ask him what he thought of the car after living with it for a few days.

We've got one, a 1.8LX in old money, usually driven by SHWMBO. I only get to drive it when we go on holiday.

All of the criticism's are true - visibility, fuel econ (we get 28 MPG on the school run) reflection on the windscreen etc...

However it does a lot of stuff really well and I can't think of much else that would replace it (VAG - no chance!)

The bottom line is the regular driver loves it! and I'm happy with my ex RobT  e30

I had an Insignia 18 months ago. Poor rear view (as as most moderns), handbrake takes practice and the ride is 'firm'. It's not a car you can like after a few hours and it takes a week to appreciate what it can do. Mine was a diesel. Went okay, okay but not amazing economy, a great chassis and a superb motorway car. Really, they are comparable with VAG and along with the current Astra, show that GM can build a decent car. There seem to be a few 1.6 and 1.8 petrol Opels from channel isles hire fleets hitting UK auctions. I can think of worse cars to spend 5 grand on than a 2 year old petrol Insectra.