Suggestion

daveb47

Just for the record, we haven't quit as mods, although I did talk of it as I was fed up with all the daggers being thrown, but Dave removed all the mods from the board and closed the hidden board for the staff to discuss the best course of action against these reports we were getting.

Good, can we please sort out what everyone wants from a mod team and get on with things again? And can whoever ends up doing the job, whether it's you guys or someone else grow a nice thick skin, you'll be a lot happier. :)

Edited after Cav's reply

The other thing that irks is this whole notion of 'reporting' stuff to the mods. Fine if it's some spammer selling willy elongating pills but otherwise It just smacks of curtain-twitching, someone wanting somebody else to stir up shit on their behalf (& take the flak, as has happened here) because they don't have the balls to do it themselves.

As has been said umpteen times already, if you don't like a certain thread, move on.Or if you REALLY feel you have a valid point rather than some keyboard warrior argument be man enough to put it on the page for all to see.  Don't spoil it for others.

Edited by studebaker hawk

Billy, I've already made it quite clear that, even if I didn't think there was a threat of things getting really nasty in the banger thread, I thought that you did the right thing in locking it because you suspected they'd get worse. It's perfectly possible for me to have faith in your ability to judge the gravity of a situation without having to agree with your viewpoint 100% of the time.

We obviously hadn't thought about it in advance- this saga has proven that different people had different expectations of the 'report' function. It's good that we're having this discussion so that we can, sort of, be on the same page. 8)

My idea is that on all threads (except the eBay one perhaps) there should be a 5-minute delay between hitting 'submit' and your post appearing, like a sort of damper which will make it impossible to have a multi-page flame war where everyone piles in arguing the toss about fuck all. Just slow the job down a bit basically.

Another tip is stop calling members by their real names

Does that mean I shouldn't have signed up with my real name?

Arse.

Actually the five minute delay is a cracking idea, it'd make any arguments so mind-fuckingly hard to understand when all the comments are directed at someone five minutes ago who has since posted something else.... there'd be no point.

Good to read more self important pomposity from Cavette. He obviously knows what this forum needs.

I'm sure I won't be the last one to have the misfortune of being on the receiving end of one of his pants-pissing tantrums for not giving him the "respect" he deserves.

I stand by my previous posts on this thread.

my view of this site as a relatively new member is, its a good group of people who like unloved cars and have good humour about it, but unfortunately due to human nature sometimes you get personality clashes and differing opinions which in the worst case ends up in toys being thrown BUT it seems to get back on track quite soon and the humour continues with a different topic,

cantwealljustgetalong.jpg

i tend to broadly agree with studebaker and  mr luxo.

the lack of direct moderation is a refreshing change from some other less open forums.

i personally would like to see mods only dealing with the spam and letting everything else sort itself out naturally.

trigger cav and particularly dave have put a huge amount of effort into the forum in the last month or so and i for one am very grateful.

management of forums is a very difficult balancing act and will never please everyone all of the time.

the cyclical toy/pram episodes are a feature of life/forums/people in general and i think its best to let them run their course naturally.

on a less important note -not keen on stickies either, at worst have one with forum etiquette guide and links to other relevant threads.

i also like the single forum format as it keeps the board fluid.

ps wilco - i can see why you are upset but you are making yourself look the badman by not stepping back and taking a deep breath.

group hugs and making up all round  ,then back to normal service hopefully :common007:

edit / seems 20 minute delay has been applied to my account and everything is ok now :)

ps wilco - i can see why you are upset but you are making yourself look the badman by not stepping back and taking a deep breath.

group hugs and making up all round ,then back to normal service hopefully :common007:

Thanks for your understanding. As I said above in response to Chaseracer, the matter is closed as far as I'm concerned.

If I may have my tuppence...

I moderate the AROnline forum (which has been having a resurgence of late, and getting busy again.) I’m the only mod there now, after one went AWOL and the other got banned.

I’d been quietly delating spam posts and blatant troll posts-posts such as “ALL BRITISH CARS ARE FUCKING SHIT GO AND KILL YOURSELVESâ€Â-I joke not-and had been fine. 

When I deleted a swear word, being aware of the “family†feel Keith tries to keep going, toys were thrown and strops were had. When I locked a thread that turned nasty-guess what-that was wrong.

All that happened was more bitching and some people never bothered to post again. So I leave it to get on with it, and only delete spam.

It is tricky. I think Cavette was right to lock that thread and wish his actions had been respected. BUT, after so long as an unmoderated forum, such a move was always going to be at the very least controversial. That thread has descended into utter farce now. Perhaps if people had just gone along with the Lock, we'd now be chatting about something else?

I do think Sean needs to meet with the Banhammer though. That's just blatant trolling. Go get your kicks elsewhere little man.

If you* really think someone should be banned, put them on your ignore list. If enough people 'ignore' them, they'll go away, and even if they don't go away, you won't be reading their drivel. If you just can't resist clicking "view it anyway?" because you secretly enjoy getting riled, perhaps you need a break from forums.

* btw you doesn't mean anyone in particular, before you get upset...

is there a way for you to block somebody so you never have see any post they put up again? this way if you think somebody is trolling you and you're fed up with them, you'd never have to deal with them again. Also an ignore thread option would be good. With these we can self moderate and the mods can just deal with the spam, accepting new members and giving the forum the occasional jump start when needed.

tbh the troll is more eloquent, and seems to be taking it all a bit less seriously, than many of the regular members.

it's a bit disturbing to see so many people getting so angry over so little.

i was tempted to post in the thread but it seems stupid to walk into the middle of a schoolyard scrap.

thankfully all is a bit calmer in the back room :)

hopefully once the hot weather passes everything will get back to normal (until the next virtual riot :ssch00101:  )

Probably have said this before, but in my opinion an Internet forum should generally be left to its own devices regarding bickering etc. After all, the people will decide what is acceptable/ decent on here. The hardcore majority of members seem to be decent folk with valid and interesting points. I hugely enjoy the banter. If a forum may be compared to Sky television, plenty of channels are terrible ( in my opinion ) so I don't watch them. Others probably do. I watch/read what I choose and just ignore the tripe. I don't contact Sky asking for everything I dislike to be banned/deleted/moderated for content simply because of my opinion.... We all enjoy different things and who is one person to say what is good or right? If everone contacted Sky asking them to remove the channels they dislike pretty soon there would be no channels and no Sky TV. or any TV. As for swearing, leave well alone I say. Autoshite is full of spontaneity and quick, intelligent wit. Swearing is a big part of this methinks. For what it's worth, my suggestion for here would be that it obviously needs the mechanics/technicians to keep it all running smoothly, (thanks Dave!) remove obvious trolls and spam, but otherwise it works just fine as it is.