I might be in the position!!!

babydriver

I might be able to get a 1955 Austin A90 Westminster off an old chap I have just made aquaintence with, he has had it since 1966 and it is sitting in his garage and he wants rid, If me ebay crap sells I will have the funds, but I need to know what the law is about towing as it has no tax/mot and will need to be tugged on a rope about 3 miles, is this legal or does it need to be lifted off the floor and insured?Advice please as I have fallen in love with it, he has shown pics and could imagine it in me garage giving me something to play with and eventually (very slowly) getting it back on the road and I would not have to talk to her indoors anymore and I could do car shows and I could drive it to work and its dead nice in brg wiv chrome and people will point and say wots that and and and andSorry :oops:

I would advise very strongly against towing it on a rope at all. If it's been sitting the brakes are likely to be dodgy to say the least, and unless you're using an Alvis Stalwart as the tow vehicle, being punted up the arse by a Westie is going to do some serious damage. If it were me I would use a rigid tow pole - that way the tow car can do some if not all of the braking as well as the accelerating, and all the Austin has to do is steer. Strictly speaking, if you're towing a car with all four wheels on the ground it has to be taxed, MoT'd and insured, but I think if it's only three miles you'll probably get away with it.

unless you're using an Alvis Stalwart as the tow vehicle

Now then wuvvum - you wouldn't be eyeing up the ebay example as your next 'retriever' would you?I'd say get a recovery chap with a flat bed and a winch to do it. I've come to the conclusion that for local jobs the expense (£30-40 tops?) far outways the effort and stress of doing it yourself. Just make sure they remove the hubcaps before whacking the wheels with a sledge hammer to free off the brakes!!

Wholeheartedly agree with Wuvvum -its a dead cert the brakes will have seized up =and the first time you push tje pedal -they'll stay on -or nothing at all. I NEVER push the brake pedal until its on my drive- it wont be good news either way.Check the tyres too -if they've been flat for years you'll need to replace -or tow VERY carefully.A rigid pole (Lidl will do you a cheap nasty one today!) will get you 3-4 miles if you're careful.The legalities? Hum -dont ask!Good luck