Jump starting 88amp battery with 55amp?

Split_Pin

I was filling up the Corsa tonight and a Mercy Sprinter ice cream van next to me wouldn't start. It looked like a fuel it crank issue but the chap asked if I could jump start him. As I only had the Corsa with its wee battery I was worried that it wouldn't even tickle the 88amp one. Was I right? Anyhow, I didn't think the battery was at fault as the engine was cranking fast but not starting, so I gave him a push to the side of the forecourt. Was worried that I maybe could have jump started him after all?

The trick generally is never to go battery to battery on the return/ground/negative/black cable. You open yourself up to BIG problems, where as, if you go flat battery to big lump of metal (engine mount, starter mount, chunky bit of gear box) you add a bit of resistance, saving your battery. I suspect on newer cars there is more chance of killing something electrical, but this is Autoshite so not to worry.

Oh and don't try to jump start to or from a car with stop start/eco stop. If it's got a a belt ISG (starter and alternator in one, ish) you'll blow it up! Got an epic battery in the work car, but cant jump anything with it :(

'Tis not the battery capacity 88Ah vs 56Ah issue but a cranking current issue, if both are the same cranking spec (say 400 amp)  and yer icecream motor needs 350 amp to spin it's cornets then a smaller capacity battery will do fewer times before runnning out of mivvies.