Aldo's Edinburgh Shite Spots!

aldo135

Can you tell me where that Volvo 264 is? That is a really exciting find, and a local reg on it too! I like the white Mini Mayfair as well, haven't seen that one, or the red F-reg Cavalier.

Welcome Alan! Introduce yourself... We need more beige Uno pics!

Lol, am very much "finding my feet" with this, as I've never really participated in forums to any great degree. Bear with me if I'm not quite getting the etiquette yet. I've been enjoying the variety of automotive topics covered in what I've seen so far anyway.

This is good stuff. I'm from Edinburgh and have seen many of these cars kicking about. I saw the 264 a few months ago and was going to try and see if it was for sale. Now when I was driving for a recycling company I spotted a very tired looking.......wait for it........FACEL VEGA in the grounds of a posh pad in Murryfield. I haven't been up there since as I wouldn't be able to see over the wall (the truck was a much higher seating position) I bet its still there though.

Working this weekend, or would have been Alan. Went a couple of years ago, was great!

Charlie that Facel Vega sounds brilliant! Thought of you the other day as I seen a very early looking gold vectra in Wester Hailes the other day, didn't get a chance to see it close up as it had left by the time I'd finished in the flat I was working in!

I wasn't going to bother with Glamis this year, but with the way the weather's been it would be silly not to (pretty much a full show season without water-logged fields for Gawd's sake). Plus it will give the Uno it's weekly run, albeit just a tad further than I'm confident in driving it, having still not got round to organising breakdown cover. I saw on Flickr tonight that there's a rather lovely blue E-reg Renault 11 in Musselburgh - one for us to keep our eyes peeled for.

Lol, am very much "finding my feet" with this, as I've never really participated in forums to any great degree. Bear with me if I'm not quite getting the etiquette yet. I've been enjoying the variety of automotive topics covered in what I've seen so far anyway.

Hello Alan and welcome to Autoshite! I'm that annoying bloke off Flickr who inexplicably loves Rover 800s and rather worryingly, owns 5 of them.

Hi Creeping Jesus - there will be another time, I'm sure.

Hi Al, Mr Rover 800 man. I like your icon, it makes me think of that priceless moment in "Boys from the Black stuff" where Yosser is having a breakdown with the priest and says "I'm desperate Father". The priest says "call me Dan" so Yosser then says "I'm desperate, Dan". I think that series should be in the school curriculum under social history - Thatcher's Britain.

I've decided I'm gonna have a run up Murryfield and see if that Facel Vega is still there. Curiosity has got the better of me.lol. If its there I will try and get some piccies if I can without getting locked up.lol. The 264 is in Porty bud. P.m me and I will give you the location.

I've decided I'm gonna have a run up Murryfield and see if that Facel Vega is still there. Curiosity has got the better of me.lol. If its there I will try and get some piccies if I can without getting locked up.lol. The 264 is in Porty bud. P.m me and I will give you the location.

Excellent, I'd love to know if it's still there.

Cheers re the 264, but Aldo has sent me the details. I'm hoping to have a look for it tomorrow!

Well the 264 doesn't look so good from the front. Tax disc expired December 03.

Also my jaw dropped when I saw what has arrived in Dalton's, on my way to look for the Volvo. This is not a breakers, so every bit of the Herald will be wasted.

post-17352-0-19420600-1374179674_thumb.jpg

post-17352-0-51778600-1374180050_thumb.jpg

I know, it's criminal. Whoever phoned the scrap man to take the Herald away obviously had nothing between the ears. There was also what looked to have been, from what I could see through the fence, a nice Mk1 Mondeo Ghia, L-reg (although it's registered as an LX), now totally destroyed.

post-17352-0-71218500-1374184175_thumb.jpg

post-17352-0-82458000-1374184415_thumb.jpg

I saw that Mondy when it was up on the jig. Local plate on it too. There has been some rare stuff in Daltons over the years. The one that sticks in my mind is a B-plate Merc SL convertible........"seemed" in good nick too.

I think sometimes someone has died and the relatives don't want the car to be seen again........or as we know sometimes its " just a old car " and they just get rid which is a shame really.

I wish I had paid more attention to Dalton's in the past - now I will take a look every time I'm down at Leith for a work meeting. It's a shame they don't seem to build up the big heaps of cars anymore, as they used to make for good photos. This seemed to coincide with them opening the new HQ at Broxburn, but even there lately there hasn't been much in the way of cars. I find the best place now for a scrap heap photo is the yard at Mayfield - that has had some classic stuff in it over the past year or so - a Mk2 Capri, a reverse-rake Anglia and a couple of early XJ6s. I tend to look there if it's late in the day on a Sunday - sometimes get the guard dog barking, but there's usually no one around to bother me.

I wish I had paid more attention to Dalton's in the past - now I will take a look every time I'm down at Leith for a work meeting. It's a shame they don't seem to build up the big heaps of cars anymore, as they used to make for good photos. This seemed to coincide with them opening the new HQ at Broxburn, but even there lately there hasn't been much in the way of cars. I find the best place now for a scrap heap photo is the yard at Mayfield - that has had some classic stuff in it over the past year or so - a Mk2 Capri, a reverse-rake Anglia and a couple of early XJ6s. I tend to look there if it's late in the day on a Sunday - sometimes get the guard dog barking, but there's usually no one around to bother me.

Last time I passed there a MK2 Triumph 2000 was looking a bit sorry for itself!

Last time I passed there a MK2 Triumph 2000 was looking a bit sorry for itself!

Ah, that'll be the cream one in the banger yard? That's where I saw the 2 VP 4 Litre Rs recently.

Strangely I could not see the Herald on Saturday - either they've squashed it into something unrecognisable, or maybe they've moved it to Broxburn for some reason.

I like that silver Accord - I've been trying to get a snap of the light green one with the old LRT bus reg BFS44L for bloody ages, but it keeps eluding me. The ironic thing is that  I used to see the damn thing in my work car park all the time, when I wasn't into taking pictures. 

Cheers Alan! Not seen the green Honda but will keep my eyes peeled. Still not forgot about the other ones, thought I might get a round of applause today but no luck so far! Had it in my head I had seen it on a drive in the redhall/kingsknowe area, will try again

There was an early blue Mondeo up on ramps there last week but it probably gone too. At soft play with the wee one the now hiding from the rain, but will have a wee drive/banger hunt after

That was some rain around 9.30 this morning, and it's now incredibly clammy - not nice at all.

The Applause lives up in Ravelston, owned by a lady perhaps in her early 70s. The first time I saw the car it was driving out of the street and I couldn't turn round and catch up with it in time. I check the street any time I'm up that way, but the car is always garaged. I got my one crappy photo when the garage door had been left up!

post-17352-0-28862600-1374584257_thumb.jpg