From The Days When The Garage Pumped Your Fuel

Micrashed

528671013_20139c0423.jpg

I worked next to this place for about 10 years, they often had some quite ropy cars on the forecourt too.

Inside was an aladdin's cave too, but I was too chicken to take any decent photos of the workshop.

About 2008 the canopy partially collapsed and the front of teh garage was closed off leaving a home for chod behind away from prying eyes...

Now its a Sainsburys and the workshop some flats.

12574653.jpg

TBH if I actually lived there I'd probably prefer a Sainsbury's to a half collapsed derelict garage, but it is a shame to lose an attractive petrol station. I was trying to think of aesthetically pleasing filling stations the other day but drew a blank. 

I like how they retained the shape of the canopy for the new building. 

They still pump it in Spain. And wash the windscreen. And take money from you in the car. And bring your change back. And this is also done at the large company stations like Esso & Shell.

This country is on its way to hell on a hand cart!

They still pump it in Spain. And wash the windscreen. And take money from you in the car. And bring your change back. And this is also done at the large company stations like Esso & Shell.

Likewise in Cyprus, and fuel is much same price across the island, and the filling stations don't sell groceries, and almost all have pay at pump with card or cash.

The UK's filling stations are really backwards.

Given the choice between pumping it myself, and paying extra for someone to do it..... I'll have the cheap stuff. What would I do whilst being filled up? I feel uncomfortable enough being in the car during a hand car wash.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Given the choice between pumping it myself, and paying extra for someone to do it..... I'll have the cheap stuff. What would I do whilst being filled up? I feel uncomfortable enough being in the car during a hand car wash

Hang on.... I'ts €1.17 (£1.09) a litre out here in Tenerife and its £1.39 in the UK. 

A couple of years ago while on holiday in Greece, we used to pass an attended garage each morning and the old fella always had a lit fag hanging out of his mouth as he was filling the motors up. We always crossed the road, just in case the whole lot went up taking Stavros and a forecourt full of cars with it.

A couple of years ago while on holiday in Greece, we used to pass an attended garage each morning and the old fella always had a lit fag hanging out of his mouth as he was filling the motors up. We always crossed the road, just in case the whole lot went up taking Stavros and a forecourt full of cars with it.

This, of course, is the downside. I once saw someone toss their cigerette end into a skip which then exploded in a 15 foot high ball of flames .Ive also seen Spanish builders holding down planks of wood with their flip-flop clad feet while using a still saw just inches away from their pinkies.

It's when they start doing stuff like this you need to worry:

Zmoe2S2.gif

I bought a one owner from new 1976 Volvo 244 from Belle vue garage in 1993, a cracking car but, as you say, Mr Eller who ran the place had a 'reputation' around Blackpool, the inside of the garage was amazing, faded opulence springs to mind, high on the workshop wall was gold leaf art deco hand painted signs saying Sunbeam, Riley, Singer etc, apparently Mr Eller senior started the business before the war and it was truly majestic inside and out, still doesn't look right as Sainsburys somehow but all of Whitegate Drive is hardly recognizable these days.

Given the choice between pumping it myself, and paying extra for someone to do it..... I'll have the cheap stuff. What would I do whilst being filled up? I feel uncomfortable enough being in the car during a hand car wash.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Given the choice between pumping it myself, and paying extra for someone to do it, I would like someone to pick up my car, drive it to the station, fill it up, bring it back, and present me with the invoice.

When I was 14 I had a Saturday job working in a village garage.One of my duties was pump attendant.Ofcourse people would come in for a couple of gallons (yeah I know, I'm  old) and a free tyre and level check.What would today be an interim service for the price of a couple of gallons of 2 star.Like most places some of the regulars were "characters".First time I served a retired colonel he stood at the side of me all the while mumbling something.After he had gone the boss came over and asked if the colonel had said anything.So I replied yes, all the time I was filling the tank up he kept quietly saying "don't spill it you little c*nt,don't spill it you little c*nt" Luckily I didn't spill any unlike the previous Saturday boy who spilled petrol all over the colonel's shoes.

Attended service is still very common in the UK for LPG. Usually those LPG-only forecourts are cheaper than petrol stations which also happen to have a gas pump (55p attended service near Manchester, 64.9p self-service Morrisons Hale).

Some of the difference could be down to insurance maybe?

I have a local garage where a grumpy old cow reluctantly serves fuel for you, I try and avoid it because its about 5p more expensive than the Morrisons one in town. And they have a bad reputation for ripping people off for work done in their garage. They make up for that in my opinion by having a collection of Group N 86 Corollas in bright yellow which sound fit as ****.

I'm fairly sure that attended service was cheaper than self-service when I started driving in the late 1980s, although there was only about 3p per gallon difference between the cheapest and most expensive stations anyway.

Attended service is still very common in the UK for LPG. Usually those LPG-only forecourts are cheaper than petrol stations which also happen to have a gas pump (55p attended service near Manchester, 64.9p self-service Morrisons Hale).

55p a litre sounds good, is there a list of LPG only stations anywhere?

I'm fairly sure that attended service was cheaper than self-service when I started driving in the late 1980s, although there was only about 3p per gallon difference between the cheapest and most expensive stations anyway.

55p a litre sounds good, is there a list of LPG only stations anywhere?

There's filllpg.co.uk which has a map of Britain with stations and prices (both LPG-only and petrol stations which sell autogas). It's user-updated, so it may not be accurate 100% of the time, but it's good enough for me!