Strange noise in Nissan Modernshite

406V6

Recently on holiday I had a hire car which developed a problem that later cleared – as I'll explain. Can any of our knowledgeable contributors explain what happened. It's the sort of thing that seemingly could happen to anyone without warning and knowing the details might help a reader in future.

The hire car was a Nissan Qashqai modern-shitemobile about 6 months old with 25,000 miles on the clock, so not exactly the sort of clapped out chod many readers are driving around in. During the usual holiday activities, one day when we drove away after the car had been parked for about 10 minutes (perfectly normal behaviour before stopping) there was a moderately loud chafing noise from the front of the car. It was speed related with a metallic character to the sound, not related to the engine at all but I couldn't tell which side. There was nothing dragging underneath the car. After braking heavily the noise was reduced slightly but got slowly louder again. I stopped the car and reversed a distance (this had cured a similar noise on a different car in the past) but it made no difference. After driving for 10 minutes or so and after a few test stops the noise was still there. It wasn't what you would call a discreet noise – it was quite alarming - and we were at the point of deciding whether to take the car back to the hire company or not. Before then, because I thought it might be brake related I decided to do a full scale controlled emergency stop with maximum pressure on the brake pedal to see what happened. I did this from about 30 mph using serious leg pressure, the ABS cut in and the car stopped. Upon driving away the noise had gone and the braking behaved normally afterwards. Any ideas what happened ? Seemingly brake related but this is beyond my technical knowledge.