Reginald Nutsack's K-series Kapers - ROVER 623 MOT GUFF

Mr_Bo11ox

Done a bit on this tonight. Got the old engine out using just a wanky trolly jack from machine mart!!! I made the mistake of leaving the alternator on the old engine as it came out which made it a right awkward sod.

P1050940.jpg

best get this lot tidied up fairly soon or it will no doubt disappear, I saw a white transit driving very slowly round the streets a couple of weeks back, loked it up and not tax or insurance surprise surprise. Wankers!

P1050941.jpg

Anyway hopefully i'll get the new engine in on Sunday all being well, probably not get it running but if I can get it in, on its wheels with the driveshafts etc connected i'll be on the home straight! Also I will need the BIG ASS trolley jack from down the garage i think.

Asbestos garage?

Autoshite WIN!

Ive still got one of these up at Fatha Micrasheds old place, the panels are painted both sides to seal them. Its been up since 1964 and still going strong. If I ever get around to selling the place no doubt it will give prospective purchases something to try and lever the price down with as they quote  "OMG Pigeon fanciers lung innit" or some such shit.

Asbestos garage?

Autoshite WIN!

Ive still got one of these up at Fatha Micrasheds old place, the panels are painted both sides to seal them. Its been up since 1964 and still going strong. If I ever get around to selling the place no doubt it will give prospective purchases something to try and lever the price down with as they quote  "OMG Pigeon fanciers lung innit" or some such shit.

If it bothers prospective purchasers that much simply begin bashing the bejesus out of it whilst they're stood there - ta-daaa, no garage, problem solved. 

• 1 month later...

Mr_Bo11ox

• photo-thumb-24.jpg?_r=0
  •  
  • 12,986 posts
  • LocationFANNY

Posted Yesterday, 11:11 AM

I have finally got this thing going now, the engine is back in and all plumbed up, it starts runs and drives.

Turns out on my 'new' starter motor the braided cable that goes between the solenoid and the armature of the motor is broken, so I currently have 2 duff starters. I either need a solenoid to fix the original one or a set of brushes to fix this one. Typically they are both different so I cant make one god one out the two. Also I need to flush out the cooling system as its full of slimy oil shiz, and do something about the throttle cable as it does not get on with the new throttle body. Other than that though the new ebay £100 engine is globally fairly healthy it seems. w00t!

meggersdog

•  
  • 1,313 posts
  • LocationPeterborough

Posted Yesterday, 12:27 PM

Daz washing powder is pretty good at flushing the cooling system (any stain removing washing powder really).Neat water, a cup of Daz and run to temperature for ten minutes before flushing with a hosepipe.

KruJoe

• photo-thumb-1381.jpg?_r=0
  •  
  • 2,663 posts
  • LocationChiang Mai cum Malhamdale

Posted Yesterday, 01:04 PM

Hey Nads, I'm coming down to VAngyl's gaff this aft (Chesterfield-ish), do want me to whip off and bring the starter from my R8 214? T'was fine when it last ran.

Still a bit of a trek, but it's free to you.

Let me know, like, now!

SambaS

• photo-thumb-5180.jpg?_r=0
  • 1,692 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Posted Yesterday, 02:44 PM

Good job Mr B.... I've done a few hundred in mine, she currently has a top speed of 80, haven't hooked up to a compression tester yet but mechanic reckons air is escaping the bores. Fecking thing!

Its the original box thats died, I do have another that came with the engine I bought, but its the older R65 type where mine's an IB5 fiesta box. To fit the R65 i'd need a different gear linkage plus the right clutch and flywheel (which I had, but have now weighed in like a twat) and probably inner CV joints as well, I can;t be arsed with all that so now I need to find another IB5 box, theres loads on eBay including a brand spanker for £150 so we'll see.

It must have seen some horrible things in its previous life perhaps.

That's one possibility, an alternative explanation would involve the quality* control* of 'project drive'-era MGovers.

I really admire your patience, Mr.B. Kudos for persisting... and persisting... and persisting ! What are your plans when this thing is finished ? Will it see regular use or be a-framed to the bo11ox museum ?

• 2 months later...