Balkan Bucket Bonanza

Bucketeer

Is there some kind of chod exchange that could be done between there and the UK, a truck going over with some marginal MoT fail cars and coming back with a Skoda and Lada Niva?

I am definitely working on that.

At the moment I'm thinking mopeds/scooters/bikes to UK and LHD car back to BG.

This is just the BEST thread.

It's a (too) bold shout. What about all the 'what does your car smell like?' and 'if your car was a potato, how would you cook it?' kind of threads? STRONG COMPETITION.

im doing exactly the same  - looking at daft.ie and sherryfitz and putting in 40k euro and seeing what comes out

anything vaguely habitable is on the list :D

ps WTF at urbo sport lada - looks knackered but is on gas :D

ps throw me some modern lada mobile.bg action please

House and car information is very much forthcoming for you.

Can't speak for the others but it's inspiring stuff, thank you

I first read that as 'insipid' rather than 'inspired'. Both work.

I am definitely feeling less than inspiring, I really need to crack on with traveling the rest of the world rather than fannying about in Bulgaria.

Lady_Bucket and I have amicably and mutually agreed last night that she doesn't like me anymore so that's one 'obstacle' to travel resumption out of the way.

Aaaaand relax, it's spots time.

IMG_4489_zpsm9hzc9n2.jpg

IMG_4492_zpsxdac2cf0.jpg

IMG_4497_zpsikxpmhkw.jpg

IMG_4498_zpsaberf11x.jpg

IMG_4499_zpsyj6k5hk9.jpg

320_touring liked a Toledo in a previous post. Here's two more.

IMG_4488_zpspgqjmn7b.jpg

IMG_4486_zpsfpgcowo1.jpg

The building above is the main art museum in Veliko Tarnovo and also officially The Bulgarian National Museum of Art. I've been here nearly two years in total and I've still never been inside. As soon as you approach, the 'guardian' lady runs inside and locks the door - every time. Local museum for local people.

I spotted this proper old communist slide today. I love the way it is pointed straight at a tree trunk.

IMG_4507_zpscnzwkcf0.jpg

More today spots.

IMG_4506_zps2uamgyo0.jpg

IMG_4505_zpsmnmgjesy.jpg

IMG_4504_zpseirhh49b.jpg

IMG_4503_zpsmtbci1i8.jpg

Also, last night I went to a Scandinavian art exhibition in town. To be honest, the art was minimal but I got to explore (drunkenly and illegally) the out of bounds parts of the main library.

IMG_4502_zpsq56epvo9.jpg

All the best bits of the communist buildings are the 'hidden from public' bits.

IMG_4501_zps0piz0o1j.jpg

IMG_4500_zpsyqgqhnrz.jpg

And in 'the picture that gave the thread it's name'. What fruit/veg/alien egg is this?

Ex_Lady_Bucket found it the other day whilst we were out in the woods.

IMG_4485_zpsryinr1qv.jpg

Shit update I know, but I'm a bit busy trying to find somewhere with a roof to live.

C U L8ER.

• 1 month later...

I'm back in the UK for a fortnight so I've got a few rubbish pictures to dispose of from the last couple of weeks in Bulgaria.

IMG_4525_zps3krnn2jp.jpg

IMG_4512_zpsdgkwmsmm.jpg

IMG_4513_zps4fviu2lz.jpg

IMG_4517_zpscxv4oywu.jpg

IMG_4522_zpshjt18qql.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsav5j3izx.jpg

IMG_4524_zpspfwhr939.jpg

IMG_4526_zpseewzmrlp.jpg

One for the 'cars and girls' thread?

IMG_3644_zpsn1ta5lfw.jpg

IMG_4527_zpstikmso1s.jpg

IMG_4533_zpshbybqehc.jpg

Anybody know what this is/was? It's really chapping my arse, I should know what it is but I don't.

IMG_4528_zpsr8ngleiz.jpg

IMG_4529_zpslfefjzsl.jpg

And for double or quits, what is this?

IMG_4532_zpsllrq1z6f.jpg

IMG_4531_zpsexl9gcmw.jpg

On the walk from the bus station to Sofia Airport I planned to visit the abandoned Sofia Cars showroom that Tayne first found a year or two back. To see, nevermind own a Sofia Type B is a dream of mine but unfortunately it was dark and cold and I hadn't memorised his directions properly. I WILL find the place when I return next week.

In the meantime, if anybody missed it, they featured in Tayne's excellent Bulgarian Car Production thread.

http://autoshite.com/topic/16030-bulgarian-car-production/

I did manage a couple of spots on my stroll to the airport but the night-time was not my camera's friend.

IMG_4534_zpsw7pm0585.jpg

IMG_4536_zps8eb07k2m.jpg

IMG_4537_zps60aj62va.jpg

If you think they were bad, most of my attempted pre-sunrise spots looked like this.

IMG_4538_zpsa2oqzkrp.jpg

One from after sun-rise, in Sofia Airport car park.

IMG_4539_zpseudotf8h.jpg

And a couple from this week in the North of England.

IMG_4550_zpsaq0x6wez.jpg

IMG_4556_zps5qnu5j6v.jpg

That's about it for now. I fly back to Bulgaria at 3am on the 1st of Jan, can't wait.

I've also got a little Macedonia and Albania hitchhiking/walking visit planned for January so hopefully some decent spots will come from that.

In the meantime, happy season and merry palaver to one and all.

I think I'll start a thread up when I start work on the place in earnest, which is likely to be early spring as it'll be around -10C when I get back and the talk is of a right cold Jan and Feb like three winters ago when it got down to -26C where I was.

Also I'm hoping it's going to be more like £500 all in, but who knows.

I never imagined I'd have my own house, never mind one in Bulgaria, but you can get so much for so little here. 5,000 Euro gives you a wide property pool to choose from.

As an example, here's a couple of randoms I just grabbed from the first property site I looked at.

4,000 Euro

http://www.stara-planina.com/property_details.php?prop_id=3717&page=8&dr=&r=&l=&t=

3717_1_zpsdhucndsh.jpeg

5,000 Euro

http://www.stara-planina.com/property_details.php?prop_id=3606&page=7&dr=&r=&l=&t=

3606_1_zps3ow06eq9.jpeg

I think I'll start a thread up when I start work on the place in earnest, which is likely to be early spring as it'll be around -10C when I get back and the talk is of a right cold Jan and Feb like three winters ago when it got down to -26C where I was.

Also I'm hoping it's going to be more like £500 all in, but who knows.

I never imagined I'd have my own house, never mind one in Bulgaria, but you can get so much for so little here. 5,000 Euro gives you a wide property pool to choose from.

As an example, here's a couple of randoms I just grabbed from the first property site I looked at.

4,000 Euro

http://www.stara-planina.com/property_details.php?prop_id=3717&page=8&dr=&r=&l=&t=

3717_1_zpsdhucndsh.jpeg

5,000 Euro

http://www.stara-planina.com/property_details.php?prop_id=3606&page=7&dr=&r=&l=&t=

3606_1_zps3ow06eq9.jpeg

Christ. What does the average UK house price of £190k get you?

• 1 month later...

The last month or so has been a bit rubbish. The day before I was supposed to fly back to BG, my bag containing money, ticket, passport etc was pinched. I've also had an enforced 're-assessment' of my living situation since coming back East. Every cloud has a silver lining though. You can't appreciate the good times without experiencing bad times. It's all swings and roundabouts. Or something.

swings-21_zpsfvbto73c.jpg

Aaaaanyway, I'm going to start big with the spots to cover up the fact that all the rest of them are a bit lacklustre.

One of my 'holy grail' spots was achieved the other day. There are absolutely huggins of Mk2 Astras and Belmonts over here but I had still never seen a Daewoo Racer equivalent until . . . . . . . .

IMG_4700_zpsdukrjlcm.jpg

IMG_4701_zpssos7txcr.jpg

You can relax now, it's all downhill from here.

Have some snowy spots from when it was snowy. If nothing else it'll use a bit of time so you can avoid - [doing some work/talking to a loved one/contemplating the global financial situation/worming the dog/whatevs].

IMG_4644_zpsiak3iy5h.jpg

IMG_4629_zpsqzogiku9.jpg

IMG_4643_zpsg6zkmysz.jpg

IMG_4640_zpsyiukzmye.jpg

IMG_4639_zpsikmhlxi6.jpg

IMG_4638_zpswassbo4u.jpg

IMG_4626_zpsxe9mwoej.jpg

IMG_4624_zpsp1faprvr.jpg

This Niva needs a big sombrero on the roof to go with the wheel arch 'taches.

IMG_4645_zpsngbanp6y.jpg

IMG_4610_zpsozpauhei.jpg

IMG_4600_zpsqvrljfpj.jpg

IMG_4654_zpsc3kohaeh.jpg

I've mentioned and papped the binmen in their UAZ mountain goats before and in snowy times they use the same trucks to 'grit' the roads. Just fill the back with sand and a few guys with shovels and  analogue road 'gritting' is achieved. Have a terrible long distance photo to illustrate this.

IMG_4605_zpstn3y6ueb.jpg

They do the same for the main road through town but use the big ZIL trucks instead.

The terrain and little cobbledy roads round this part of town (all built on steep hillsides/cliffs) really limit the type of vehicle they can use.

IMG_4628_zpsjhmxjtpn.jpg

I did try to get up to my ruin in the hills but this was the state of the only road and I didn't really fancy 20kms of snow wading.

IMG_4613_zps4hrtvzs9.jpg

Lagunas seem to be 'on trend' at the moment. I like to imagine that this one is used solely as a porch to the house. Open drivers door, wipe feet on centre console and enter the house via the passenger door.

IMG_4607_zpsgmya7iyq.jpg

IMG_4653_zpswuka6ycv.jpg

IMG_4686_zpsdwlq68mu.jpg

Chrome arched beige Lada.

IMG_4685_zpsr62vhnqv.jpg

A Kia Delta is a new one on me. Check out the cute little spindly wheels.

IMG_4688_zpsvyyeity7.jpg

IMG_4687_zpsngjedeus.jpg

IMG_4702_zps1drwt14o.jpg

IMG_4699_zpspdfndebv.jpg

IMG_4698_zpsz0qbsq70.jpg

IMG_4697_zps5jxeb1xw.jpg

IMG_4577_zpsqg8ppr73.jpg

IMG_4578_zpsjuwbqpls.jpg

I got given a bike in exchange for one of the bits of furniture I make. This is the third bike I have been given since I set off traveling.

IMG_4694_zps4yyvuyie.jpg

Collecting the bike gave me opportunity to pass by the Volvo graveyard on the way back. A few of the exhibits seem to have disappeared since the last time I was here.

IMG_4695_zpsgbyparqj.jpg

And that's about it.

TTFN from BG.

IMG_4674_zpszduxzstg.jpg

More top spottery, Alex. That Kia Delta is new to me too, a strange one. It doesn't look like a Rio saloon or anything I recognise.

And I had a lol at the funny backwards tractor, ta!

Would you care to show us some of the furniture you make?

The Kia Delta appears to be another name for the Kia Avella; like the Pride before it, it was Ford Festiva based (although thia time second generation) with Mazda B3/B5 engines. The saloon was a Kia only model as far as I can see but was only exported to a handful of markets.

Seconded on the backwards tractor; I'm trying to work out where the engine is, if it has one, or is it carted around by a bevy of very strong horses? I'm not sure if that's still a thing in Bulgaria but assume is was as it was still the conveyance of choice of the rag 'n bone man in Sunderland, last time I visited.

Picks this time are the pretty scene of the Lancer and 405 in snow (sunlight is very nice in that one) and also the gold R11 with R9 lights and grille, which looks very wrong, much like those continental Sierra Sapphires with the hatchback/estate bonnets.

For the unlucky few who still read this thread of bilge, have a special bonus prize reward spot.

This was sent to me this very day by one of my sub-spotters. It was captured earlier in the week in quite nearby Burgas, sporting Russian plates.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE FASTEN YOUR SAFETY BELTS AND PREPARE FOR TAKE OFF.

ANYBODY WHO HAS JUST EATEN OR IS OF A NERVOUS DISPOSITION, PLEASE DO NOT CONTINUE.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

12654531_948581738529541_225776165915378

12717722_948581728529542_351203437758149

I've lovingly* bestowed 20 pages of spots so far and quite possibly the best one was papped by someone else.

I'm getting my coat.

Boring words, then pictures.

Seconded on the backwards tractor; I'm trying to work out where the engine is, if it has one, or is it carted around by a bevy of very strong horses? I'm not sure if that's still a thing in Bulgaria but assume is was as it was still the conveyance of choice of the rag 'n bone man in Sunderland, last time I visited.

I'm glad it wasn't just me that was a bit confused by the tractor.

I went back yesterday to see if I could get a shot from a better angle. Not much better I'm afraid.

IMG_4721_zpsxwqspafj.jpg

There's a great inspection ramp set up in the yard with the tractor. It looks like something Joe or Will might knock up.

Note the big* angry* dog keeping me from getting closer.

IMG_4751_zpsvdkeking.jpg

The only theory I have about the tractor comes from the fact that in an adjacent yard is the town's 'tourist train', where it rests up for the winter. I don't have a picture. Something like this . . . . . but much less decadent.

img_3577_zpsavmrfnig.jpg

Anyway, the shape of the tractor is slightly steam enginey and I'm thinking maybe possibly it was the original 'train', many years ago. But probably not.

Is Veliko Tarnovo your neck of the woods, Bucketman?

I think I drove through there when I left Shipka.

That's exactly where I am Tayne. The original capital and the most historic place in Bulgaria.

I took this picture from a friend's house, just along the road from me. It's looking out from VT towards Shipka. The Shipka Pass is on the far horizon, about 40-50km away. On a clear day you can also see the Buzludzha monument (AKA The Flying Saucer) from here. Did you visit that?

Also, about half way between VT and the horizon and over to the right a bit is where my ruin is located.

IMG_4713_zpsxinpj8zx.jpg

Would you care to show us some of the furniture you make?

I'm probably going to start a little WOOD thread over on the other channel soon. I think there's plenty enough non-car stuff here already.

And now, some pictures.

It's just some stuff from the last few days, all within ten minutes walk, nothing much interesting.

Today's spots are brought to you be the letter . . . . . .

sticking-up-two-fingers-e1312190804274_z

V for victory.

V for Vauxhall, the smell of win.

IMG_4746_zpsp8t9cynx.jpg

I love these Corsa Estates. I'd have one fitted with the 'half a V6' engine in a heartbeat.

IMG_4750_zpsm7ksaqxs.jpg

IMG_4729_zpslxbfrfus.jpg

This red estate is beautifully ropey. It has 'OFF ROAD' written on the bonnet with paint stripper or something but there was a guy standing just behind the stack of wood so I bottled out of picturing that. Soz.

IMG_4747_zpsvif06oze.jpg

IMG_4754_zpskvjgdb4h.jpg

Other photos what I took.

IMG_4711_zpsb02rzml7.jpg

IMG_4720_zpsguaa5ige.jpg

IMG_4722_zpsvv5om77m.jpg

IMG_4725_zpsnkcei3st.jpg

IMG_4724_zps9mwdpgcc.jpg

IMG_4726_zpstt4qubta.jpg

I really, really like the look of the Lada 111. I only have one and a half working eyes though.

IMG_4723_zpss6wyifam.jpg

There are plenty of Lancia Kappas knocking around but this is the first one I have seen that is not dark blue. It does still have the lovely blue velour interior and blue tinted glass though.

IMG_4756_zpsnj9xfoib.jpg

IMG_4753_zpscskxhpph.jpg

I went past here again.

IMG_4752_zpsnoysevra.jpg

One of the benefits of learning Bulgarian is that I can now also read Russian. Their alphabet is the same but with two extra characters. Most of the language is very different to Bulgarian though, so reading Russian is not the same as understanding Russian. Anyway, I found myself trying to read a Russian newspaper online yesterday (as we all do) and found some interesting (to me) stuff.

So in the first part of a one part series, here is News From Mother Russia.

This was sent in to what I guess is their equivalent of the Lazy Spotters Thread.

Seen recently sporting GR88 falling tree branch protection.

111_zpsz8bqigsm.jpg

There was a report on the latest Russian concept cars.

The modest Lada Xray SUVMPVLDV concept.

ladaxray_zps3oyflgqu.jpg

And a less modest Lada concept.

lada1_zpsqpflr8sq.jpg

lada2_zpsviyhmlgp.jpg

GAZ 5000GL.

GAZ5000GL_zps6rpkx3gx.jpg

And finally, this 'fake oil' facility was raided by police in Northern Russia.

1_zpsundxmyue.jpg.

2_zpss1dwdk1i.jpg

3_zpsmcvqc6nz.jpg

4_zps7qny8qf4.jpg

5_zpswxvjbhsw.jpg

6_zps4cfvwrkd.jpg

7_zpsmedxynmn.jpg

8_zpsn80osdeo.jpg

That's all for now. I need a wee.