Garage find - Humber Sceptre and 2 x Hillman Minx up for grabs

Wilko220

Just received the following further info. Unfortunately, I will be at work but hopefully someone else on here may be interested...

"we will be at 3 new road, croxley green WD3 3EJ at 12 midday on tuesday to take whoever turns up to see the cars they are at two locations nearby let me know if you can make it ."

Contact email is gilllawes@yahoo.com

No doubt theyre doing their best, but theyre not making it very easy are they. Unless you live round the corner, you’re not going to bother tramping miles to have a look in someones garage at something that might be utterly knackered and/or unrealistically priced.

Saying that, maybe someone with a digital camera and a small amount of nouse might go along and help them out. I nominate Seth!

It sounds like they are not "old car" people, they have options, sell or scrap. Mr Bollocks has the sensible solution. fortunately for me, I have the time to go and can only whine...they are too far away :boomer: !!!

They might all be perfect with 5000 miles :sad:

Thanks for passing this info on Wilko.

I can try to make it today...but only to take pictures I think...which might at least help others decide whether they wish to step in.

I am a big fan of these cars, but unfortunately I have no more covered space, so I can't take anything else on.

I can try to make it today...but only to take pictures I think...which might at least help others decide whether they wish to step in.

I am a big fan of these cars, but unfortunately I have no more covered space, so I can't take anything else on.

Cheers Ozzy. I for one would be really keen to see some pictures if you do get the opportunity...

As an aside, after about 18 months off the road having a (very slow) bodywork restoration, I'm hoping to get my Sceptre in for an MOT this week. Will get an update on here in due course.

As an aside, after about 18 months off the road having a (very slow) bodywork restoration, I'm hoping to get my Sceptre in for an MOT this week. Will get an update on here in due course.

Hi...I had wondered how this was getting on. I am sure it must be really nice now. I look forward to the update.

Are you definitely going to go?  I can but I'm not taking a couple of hours out of my working day and just turning up at someone's house because of something I've read on the internet without having contact with them first. I have sent them an email.

at least they contacted the correct club/forum rather than a pikey scrapman or banger racer

most unfortunate if they end up in the hands of a mouth breathing rigger boot wearing 'one last moment of glory' wanker

Is unfortunate really the right word ?  As way of a heads up, the owner may of done the right thing but have you guys?  You have given the details of the cars and contact information on a forum that you know Banger Racers watch.  Then chucked in the usual bigotted nonsense that might just motivate someone into action. Just to give you a bit more info I live half an hour away, I have disposable income, a truck ready to go and a quite impressve record on closing this sort of deal.  Now do I put in for half days hols?  Get your finger out chaps and stop playing the blame game

As way of a heads up, the owner may of done the right thing but have you guys?  You have given the details of the cars and contact information on a forum that you know Banger Racers watch. 

I think banger racers, and indeed anyone else, are capable of seeing anything posted anywhere on the internet. Unless I'm going to send a carrier pigeon around to selected individuals with the right credentials, I'm not sure what the "safe" option for informing people is. The alternative is no-one does anything to spread the word and they end up just going for scrap.

Honestly I would of rung round and sent Seth and who ever else a PM.  Would of taken a bit more effort but there you go.

That's probably because you know Seth. I'm never met him, didn't know where he lived and had no idea this would be of interest to him until he replied to this.

If they get banger raced then that's a shame - but the people responsible for that will be the people doing the racing, not me for posting a message on what is supposed to be a forum for people who like to preserve old cars!

If I had a lead on a car that I didn't want to fall into the 'wrong hands' I would post the details of the vehicle then invite PMs from interested parties which I could vet.  Again a little more effort involved but if I cared as much as some claim to I would go the extra mile.

Having had a reply from the vendor I was happy that it wouldn't be a wasted trip so headed up to Croxley.  Met up there with Maxustaxus and one other chap who had come along.  We didn't know what we were going to find but were taken to the first garage (none of the cars are at the address mentioned above)

Well, there we are then, A Phase VIII Minx.

Garagedrootes_001.jpg

Post '54 as it has an OHV engine which would make it a more practical car than the earlier sidevalves.

Garagedrootes_002.jpg

Both inner wing tops are absolutely sold and what we could see in the darkness looked pretty solid other than the expected grot down the back edges of the front wings etc.

Interior looks minty.
th_Garagedrootes_005.jpg

Off to the next garage.  The doors would only open this far and the car was under furniture and other stuff all around.

Garagedrootes_007.jpg

Garagedrootes_012.jpg

Finally there was this.

Garagedrootes_008.jpg

Again, another very good looking interior.

Garagedrootes_010.jpg

Right, I'm struggling with the photos so that will have to do for now.

All have been in those resting places for many years, probably 30 or more.  All would require dragging out by some means.  They will be cheap but they do require effort.  It is likely that the garages with the Series Minx and the Humber will be cleared of all the other junk and bits in the next couple of days making access to the cars much easier.

Thanks for taking the time to go and have a look at these Seth. Nice to see the local Herts registrations on the two Hillmans, I wonder if they're one-owner cars? 

I just wish I could take another project on! Particularly taken by the MKVIII, and is the second Minx the same as Peter Simpson's one? I've always liked those.

This is too embarrasing for words...I turned up without a battery in my camera (as I think Seth will bear witness).

Still the pictures Seth got are great given the space available, and I concur...they look basically solid and original....but are not rolling.