What do I do, the banger racing issue raises it's ugly head

Torsten2001

The nit with the Lancia is up to it again!http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SS:GB:1123

What a [OBSCENITIES DELETED AFTER TAKING LEGAL ADVICE]Part of me is itching to waste my carefully-earned Ebay reputation by hitting the Buy it Now button on the seller's three other current auctions, then immediately gifting them a free ticket to Neg City

Guest greenvanman

Well sorry to all bidders but I am short of a car under 1400CC to banger race this weekend aso I am taking thisThanks for bidding anyway.

History: 0 bids

Presumably this is supposed to trigger a flurry of phone calls from shiters desperate to save this car from it's alleged fate on the track :roll:

Actually there were bids, five of them in fact - the highest being £600. :shock: And that was from a blue starred eBayer so was probably legit. It doesn't change the fact that the man is obviously a complete cock though - you don't take a car that has been bid up to £600 off eBay to banger race it when you can sell it, pick up an old 1300cc Eurobox or Jap for £75 and get very, very drunk indeed on the difference. What a Norbert.

Calling him a nob would appear to be an insult to nobs. :wink: Rest assured, if I ever don my banger racing hat again, I will "follow him in". :evil: BTW I stand corrected Mr Wrecker sir, it's an Ital. However, I raced one at Mildenhall a few years ago and the Sunnys were a lot quicker - til the driveshafts popped out!

Well, looks like I have committed my blue SuperMinx to a trip round the oval.Chap wanted to pay more for it than anyone else. So fair enough I suppose.And it will provide a litany of bits to keep others going for years to come. (Including my earlier model). I felt little attachment to it anyway, and when it decided to take root in the field that was the final straw. I am also committed to ensuring my super-cool red one never gets raced. Even if it takes me 10 years to get it sorted.

It's a shame, but you've hit the nail on the head Mr Pogweasel; banger racers have the same buying power as the true "Classic" crowd, so those who complain should have got their wallets out quicker.Plus, most banger racers with any sense at all would flog the bits they don't need to collectors and or restorers anyway; I know I used to, that helped pay the rent, especially as the price of scrap was dropping like a stone when we were racing.TBH tho' I do feel a little uneasy sometimes when I see what does get raced sometimes, theres that nagging feeling in the back of your mid saying "Could that have been saved?"I'm sure thats been debated many times before on here.

I think the main argument is that although the cash may be available from both sides, the banger racer can buy and collect the car immediately, has his own transport and takes only a few days to strip the car of the useful bits to sell on and prepare the car for racing. In a matter of a week it's all done and dusted and the car raced never to be seen again.With a "preservationist", though he may have the cash he has to think about where to store the car, how long it will take to restore and the longer term costs involved. It's not just a case of putting your money where your mouth is but the simple fact is that racing a car is easier than restoring one. In many ways the racer is at a bigger advantage over the guy who wants to save the car and in some cases a restorable car ends up being sacrificed because people's circumstances aren't ideal at the time it comes on the market.Is that a fair comment?

It balances out a bit really if someone is running an old car they tend to want it to go to a good home if possible and will allow people time to pick it up etc. But no one likes being messed about so when dates get missed and there is poor communication sellers make that call.

i was going to bid you on the superminx but i didnt think you would sell it to a banger driver ,as we are all theives and pikeys :Di agree with mash

You'd have been welcome to bid. You are only thieves and pikeys when you rob stuff. :wink: If it's on eBay, it's fair game. If it's locked in my barn, bugger off. Thems the rules, quite simply.