What do I do, the banger racing issue raises it's ugly head

Torsten2001

My own personal summary of the thread:

Torsten posted up a comment he'd received on eBay asking about the Lada he's selling, supposedly because he wants to banger race it. Everyone agreed that it was either a hoax (the way he went on about banger racing it, possibly trying to anger someone with a clean old motor) and/or a complete moron (due to the high value offered and it not being a spectacularly great banger anyway). There was also a discussion about whether he should withdraw it due to this, as if it was genuine, it seemed a shame to sell a good car knowing it was to be smashed up.

It then led to a (still civilized) discussion about banger racing, personal opinions of what should and shouldn't be raced, etc. Then that Lancia auction was posted up.

Look at it this way, in the original auction you can see that he didn't even mention banger racing at the start. Then later on he adds that he will banger race it if people don't start bidding better money for it, also heavily implying that he has loads of money anyway. So if he was rich, why did he bother listing it? If you ask me it was either a pathetic attention-seeking exercise and/or an attempt to guilt-trip someone into offering him a lot more than it was worth in the first place.

Then people started saying about how the seller was clearly a bit of a nob, then for some reason I can't quite understand it turned into a shitstorm! To be honest I defend his right to banger whatever he likes, but in the auction he is just an attention-seeking and/or profiteering arsehole who couldn't care less if he upsets people and gives banger racing a bad name. The issue of him bangering what appears to be a pretty cool car isn't really the main issue.

Recently we've had a nice alliance going on this site between banger racers and non-banger racers, as we're all interested in old cars (and if you aren't, why are you here?!). Why should we get into a huge argument, all because some moron with a crap eBay auction for a bashed up Lancia wants us to?

Christ, that's a big post. Sorry.

Guest greenvanman

most of you have no mechanical skills, certainly no welding skills ,and no buying skills paying over the odds for stuff you cannot sell for a profit, let alone break even on.

Sweeping generalisations from someone whose only reason for posting here, as far as I can see, is to wind people up. What a surprise. Well, here's another generalisation for you, Wrecker, I imagine most people here think you've got nothing better to do than indulge in childish trolling on forums like this. If you continue spouting your drivel, then at least we'll know that to be the case and pity you accordingly. Either way, I'll be ignoring your inane outpourings from this point on, hopefully everybody else will do the same.

most of you have no mechanical skills, certainly no welding skills ,and no buying skills paying over the odds for stuff you cannot sell for a profit, let alone break even on.

Sweeping generalisations from someone whose only reason for posting here, as far as I can see, is to wind people up. What a surprise. Well, here's another generalisation for you, Wrecker, I imagine most people here think you've got nothing better to do than indulge in childish trolling on forums like this. If you continue spouting your drivel, then at least we'll know that to be the case and pity you accordingly. Either way, I'll be ignoring your inane outpourings from this point on, hopefully everybody else will do the same.
Very well observed greenvanman, I think you have perfectly stated what the vast majority on here think. Now, as for making an ill informed observation regarding REGULAR patrons here having a lack of mechanical apptitude is nonsense, I for one can wield a 'gas axe' or sledgehammer as good as anyone else :roll::lol:

most of you have no mechanical skills, certainly no welding skills ,and no buying skills paying over the odds for stuff you cannot sell for a profit

Maybe, but so what? I'll judge someone on a forum based on how helpful or friendly they are, not their weld penetration. As for buying stuff for profit, that doesn't really matter when you're getting other enjoyment out of it.

Just so you know, some of us do have plenty of automotive engineering skills, some of us even design parts for new cars

some troll nonsence.

Very well said GVMAnd as far as mechanical ability, well its the same as anything else really - you get a range of people witha range of ability. But it's enthusiasm for the subject that matters not how well they can wield a spanner.

Yeah whats this about us shiters not being able to weld? Thats a poor reason for insulting someone. Anyway I am very proud of my welding skills actually! I'd happily challenge anyone who's interested to a sill-replacing competition, even if i didnt win I dont think i'd get the wooden spoon.http://retrorides.proboards86.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=1175454087&page=3Hey arthur walker, dont you see the irony in the fact that you have made all of 5 posts, each of which is a complaint that various members of the forum are 'unpleasant'!!! Nice work!

not insulting anyone by saying they cant weld ,just pointing out that a few posters have had a few cars past through their hands that need welding.when they buy it they say im gonna stuck this engine in here ,im gonna do this to it and that to it ,then realize it wants some welding sometimes alot and give up at the first hurdle then pass the car on again and again .a recent jap est and superminx springs to mind. i challange you bollox to put a pair of sills on the galant est and prove me wrong.

Eh? I still have both my super minxes. Only reason they were recently for sale was because I had an uncertain work sitaution culminating in me being made redundant. I think in the same situation you would also consider 'clearing the decks'. Mr_Bo11ox has his Sigma queued up. Just because they are not completed (or turned over for racing immediately) does not mean they will never be done, does it?

I myself was a mechanic off and on for 10 years, working everywhere from back street shops to a main dealers in NZ, was also a green flag recovery driver for a while.. but you know what? I can't weld :oops: Had a fair share of tat, and didn't pass it off just because it needed welding, I would just exchange favours (mechanical before the innuendo starts :D ) with someone who could. Thats the point isn't it!?!

not insulting anyone by saying they cant weld ,just pointing out that a few posters have had a few cars past through their hands that need welding.when they buy it they say im gonna stuck this engine in here ,im gonna do this to it and that to it ,then realize it wants some welding sometimes alot and give up at the first hurdle then pass the car on again and again .a recent jap est and superminx springs to mind. i challange you bollox to put a pair of sills on the galant est and prove me wrong.

Fair play to ya wrecker I am aware of the size of the challenge there and its not a trivial one. In my defence in the last few months I have sorted out, MOT'd and moved on sub-£100 MOT failure versions of Allegro VP, Alfa 75, Lancia Prisma and Honda Integra which has involved no small amount of welding, plus maintaining my own and my dads rusty old daily driver heaps. None of this is posted on AS though so you never see it, just the buying and stashing.

As a recent sign-up to this forum, a relatively infrequent poster, and a first time contributor to this thread, I hope I'm not wrong to stick my nose in here. I must say the last few pages of this thread have opened my eyes somewhat, with some less than insightful input from the "Sportsmen" and the reactions of some more genuine Autoshiters who took the bait and fell in the trap again.

I realise SirBo11ox's revival of this thread was as much about poor ebay etiquette as it was the attitudes of some racers, but the banger racing issue was done to death over and over back in January this year, when there was that unfortunate influx of inflammatory dunces and ill-punctuated topics, so perhaps it should be left sleeping now. I fear this thread has awoken those critters with unenviable post histories, and set them crawling out of the woodwork to wind up the more sensitive souls amongst us. I noticed the vociferous Prophet Pogweasel foresaw the re-opening of this can of worms and warned us several times not to go there... but here we are now.

Pog and MrB lead the way for the rest of us, I believe, and the core of their work is everything this forum is, and should be. What make it special here (apart from the superb subject matter of each and every thread,) are the intelligent and erudite contributions from the more frequent posters, their ability to make a valid point, and to do it eloquently. And I dare say almost all of the top 20 posters would agree with me on that. "Newer" members ferociously brandishing different opinions and values, wading in to upset the tea party should expect a little light-hearted derision and teasing. Would it not be the same on any forum?

However, I stand by my opinion that this is the most welcoming, friendly and open-minded of massage boards. There’s the feeling we are all on the same side, fighting for the same good cause. There’s no cutting sarcasm directed at other users, and the ‘mods’ trust the participants to play nicely and leave us alone. That’s how it should be. I don’t know how far this would have to go to rattle MrHumberS and co, they seem pretty cool, but let’s not push it any further, eh?

Banger racers, “spud licking cnutsâ€Â, ebay cretins, everyone is welcome to lurk and/or sign up to post, but no-one should feel they have the prerogative to cut in and spoil this atmospheric beige haven. Lurk, and think what you like of the rest of us, whatever turns you on… (not that I can dictate anything to anyone – just an inexperienced newby – I know my place).

Surely it’s better to stay quiet and be thought of as a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it to everyone…

:D

Now that sounds inviting! :D

There’s no cutting sarcasm directed at other users,

Oh, I wouldn't say that! :wink::roll::lol:

A "Readers Shites" section has been suggested before. I wouldn't mind it to be honest, I'd be interested to see how things are progressing on cars not shown over on Retro Rides.

A "Readers Shites" section has been suggested before. I wouldn't mind it to be honest, I'd be interested to see how things are progressing on cars not shown over on Retro Rides.

In the spirit of the suggested thread title, my cars would just be seen becoming more and more shite month after month! :roll:

Thanks for the 'respect ',Wrecker, didnt see it the first time!Too bloody cold right now so I'm plastering the house! That way I can stay warm and work when its dark -collecting brownie points.'Having said that, its off to Western Super Mare Saturday to collect a Fiat Coupe engine (seized the Mrs one on the M40!), have a look at 2 potential acquisitions (more anon), collect a 'freebie' Monday (more anon - but Regie will like it!) and MOT the blue Fiat 1100 Tuesday. Nearly sorted the Saab 900 clutch -(just discovered its broken the pedal as well -doh!) & itemising the missing parts on my 'nicked' Caravelle for the 'old Bill'.Enough to keep me quiet for a day or two!!

• 1 month later...

I gather theres some history here; coz thats a Marina!What an utter knob though, no-one in their right mind would race something "worth" £500 in an under 1400cc banger race, especially not one of these. Tool of choice in this class is a Nissan Sunny/Almera or Honda Civic type thingy.Went to Hednesford yesterday for Civil War banger meeting and saw about 50 of them destroyed. Yipee!! (sorry, forgot myself there....) :oops: