What do I do, the banger racing issue raises it's ugly head

Torsten2001

So I put my lovely Lada on ebay to sell

Posted Image

and then I start to get this from an aptly named Orvillesnob

Q: hi i am after a good strong car for banger racing,,, this lada looks perfect,,, i am willing to pay upto £800,, obviously i will not require the interior or glass so i will gladly give you it back so you can put it to good use,, i will strip out the unwanted parts when i pick it up and load it onto my lorry at your place.. if thats ok with you.. thanks alan 26-Oct-07

A: this car is not for banger racing

He then goes on to tell me that if he wins I have to sell it to him so I tell him I won't and then I get this

ok

ill get my mate to bid on it for me then,, you wont know if i win it or not,,,, i'll send you some photos when i've finished with it..

thanks

alan

Now I'd softened my view of banger racers because the good guys are on here, to banger race this is just plain wrong, what should I do, just withdraw the car?

I'd 'soften my stance' -tell him to bid away then 'block' him out. If he bids early -leave it till late on then retract the bid. He prob wont get his mate to bid if he thinks he can buy it -and wont realise till too late that his bid failed to go in.I've had to do something similar to 'save' a car

Bloody hell, what a carry-on.Why on earth does he want to spend £800 on this particular Lada I wonder? There must be other Ladas around for less.He might be bluffing. I had some pork sword cruncher ring up about my Alfa 75 trying to do a deal cos he 'wanted to knock the windows out and use it for drifting', kept going on about 'what a shame it would be' etc etc. WHATEVAR mate. Just a timewasting bell end.

Agreed, I’d pull it unless you’re desperate for the space or money. I’m not sure you’re dealing with someone who is 100% genuine if they say they’d pay £800 for a Lada to race. It’s not like they’re so incredibly rare they’d get massive kudos from racing it, not £800’s worth anyway.

Fuggg, £800? Sell it, look perhaps im being a bit dense here, but clearly you dont want the car, you want / need the money so whilst with most things with a certain amount of "sentimental" value you feel pangs of all sorts when you see someone else doing things with it you dont like, you should take the money and run. Let the daft plank do what he wants, its his £800 to waste - and you can use that to save something you really want to.Yeah, its a shame if it gets smashed up, but if someone else wants to save it that badly they will outbid the banger racer.

I do want the car but I can't keep everything I like, I bought it to save it from the banger racers and it turned out to be a diamond, the money is not the issue, I want it to go to a good home, I think that the value of the car is almost immaterial, there are cars out there that are suitable for racing and to destroy this would be immoral in my eyes, really don't care about the £800

End the auction - no question. Cars in that condition should be saved, there is plenty of common junk for banger racing.Whether he is a banger racer or not, the guy is a twat and thats reason enough not to sell it to him.If you end it early you will more than likely get messages from other prospective buyers that would cherish it.I'd have it if I had the spare cash...I really like it.

Nothing like being a smart arse with someone you are trying buy a car off is there? He`s probably just a messer and he`s talking about screwing around with the bidding, even if you suddenly didnt care about what happened to the car you`d be better off pulling the listing now, it sounds like more hassle than its worth.

Pull the listing for sure.I wouldn't put anything on ebay unless I didn't care a fig what happened to it (my heap of an R25 for example).I'd go through all the channels available to find someone who'd want the car - check wanted ads on owners club sites etc. But that's just me.Thing is - if you offer your car for auction to the highest bidder you have to accept the winner can do what they like with it. His attitude is pretty crap though - expecting you to dispose of all the bits he pulls off it and dumps on your drive is pretty rich!

To be honest wrecker I agree, and I've now seen plenty of Ladas good enough to race at a fraction of the cost, and probably better off raced, why pick on this one, would there be some kind of Kudos attached to wrecking a minter? Anyway, I've pulled it now, might keep it or I might sell it, we'll see!If I'd have sold it at auction and the guy pulled up on a low loader I'm afraid he wouldn't have got it and I'd risk the negative feedback!

there may be some "kudos" racing a minter if is it was very cheap or free but not an £800 one thats dum the one like that ive had have only been rotten on the tops of the wings .ladas are old hat now ,slow and have a habit of snapping off at the bulkhead so the steering wheel hits you it the :shock: area.i like them but most have been exported round here .has it still got russian tyres on it?

banger racers can and will pay good money for something they really want to race though.I've told the story on here before i think about the racer I know of that got a near mint mk4 cortina ghia a year or so back with 69k for nothing off an old boy and was determined to race it despite being offered £600 for it.Just about broke my heart that one! To give him his due he did allow it to be stripped and sold everything off it for cheap. Still a hard one to see go round the track though.I've often thought about what i would do if a racer won an auction for one of my cars and turned up to collect it. TBH if the car was rough id let it go, but if it was a goodun id just take the neg feedback and send em packing

I tried in vain to save a Crown estate from a racer who told me he'd paid £700 for it and needed to recoup this if he sold it to me - fair enough. Sadly that was too much for me with no MOT and a fair bit of welding required.I'm not bothered about the guy racing it - but I am by the chap who sold it to him. I knew of the car and went to see it with him and knew how much he paid for it originally. He also knew I'd be happy to rescue it if he didn't fancy doing the welding himself. In the end it looks like he just went for a quick profit. I was a bit confused because he was a Toyota enthusiast too. :?

banger racers can and will pay good money for something they really want to race though.I've told the story on here before i think about the racer I know of that got a near mint mk4 cortina ghia a year or so back with 69k for nothing off an old boy and was determined to race it despite being offered £600 for it.Just about broke my heart that one! To give him his due he did allow it to be stripped and sold everything off it for cheap. Still a hard one to see go round the track though.I've often thought about what i would do if a racer won an auction for one of my cars and turned up to collect it. TBH if the car was rough id let it go, but if it was a goodun id just take the neg feedback and send em packing

Tell you what, I`d love to know where all these old boys that give away cars come from. Why is it that its always the people who are going to do something stupid with the car that find about them? The old boys I seem to deal with wouldnt give you the steam off their piss, never mind a `70s classic.

I think a lot of that could be that banger racers arent afraid to go chap someone's door and ask if they see a "rated" car that looks unused. Mate of mine had a sierra in his drive for years that had blown an engine at 2 years old and he had three or four banger racers per year knocking his door asking if they could take it away.In the end he gave in and one of them got it for the princely sum of £20! it only had about 30k on the clock too (but was shagged)

but a crown estate is a bit of a tool slight difference to a lada if the lada was a freebie i would race it no matter how clean it was but if someone offered me £800 for it ,it would have to go and pay for something i really did want

I'd be interested to know what banger racers have as their daily drivers? I'd imagine they'd have to drive brand new cars (unlikely) because everything else is seen as racing material! :?:?::shock:

Banger racing isn't such an apt desciption nowadays, it's more like good-solid-low-mileage-well-kept car racing. How about a ban on anything over 20 years old being raced, it would cheer an awful lot of people up especially those who've had Rover P5s and mk1 Granadas stolen.