North West AutoMarty

Marty

They had a article in PC about the Paykan within the last year or so, they had what was alledgedly the only one in the UK there, it was unregistered.I reckon this Hunter was imported from the channel islands / Ireland etc or came from the forces hence the Y reg, no age related plates then!

I reckon this Hunter was imported from the channel islands / Ireland etc or came from the forces hence the Y reg, no age related plates then!

Depends! Friend's father has a 1965 E type, I think the story was that when nearly new it was exported to South Africa. Couple of years later it came back and was given a G-suffix mark. However the B-reg Fiesta I own which went to Jersey when a few months old did get its original mark back when I re-imported it (just as well seeing as all the glass was still etched with that number plate!) Perhaps this policy was not in place during the 1960s.

no, you only started getting the age related plates after 1983, A reg onwards, before that you got a lovely new reg, I shall never forget the confusion when my uncle brought his Mk II Consul from the republic of Ireland only to get an S reg (1978), a year of so later it went back and never made it out of the orchard, RIP

Hi Torsten, sorry I think I've made that difficult to read, the E-type was first registered in England, presumably on a C-suffix, but didn't regain that when re-imported to the UK in '69. Was this standard practice during those days?

Sorry, tears in my eyes from a previous post, I think that was because all the registrations were so localised. Having said that I registered my old Rover outside the UK for a while and when I came back the DVLA wouldn't reissue my old number but gave me an age related one

I believe it's possible to have the original mark cancelled when transferring another registration onto a vehicle - so that if the replacement mark if transferred off again later on, a third mark is then allocated to the vehicle. Not sure if the same applies with import/exportHowever the pre-83 policy has led to a lot of cars sporting strange-looking numbers... especially American muscle cars of the 1965-70 era registered on late-70s suffixes :lol:

It has something to do with the local area office, I think. My wife's car has a reg number from one of my old scrapped 2002's that she wanted to keep-she said it was a "nice" number, and that everyone knew it was her by the number. I tried explaining that everyone knew it was her by the car, but you know how that kind of conversation can go. Anyway, we put it on one of her cars which was from outside the local area, and when we sold it, it was given a local registration to replace the "cherished" number (its 3rd registration). The replacement car had a local reg. no. and when that was sold, we got the original number back. I would rather have had the original car back to go with its' "cherished" number, but that's another tale.

• 2 months later...

That W-plate Maestro is odd - all the ones I've seenof that vintage have had the wipers the other way round. Loving the Aggro HLS and that Metro. :D There's a Polo Harlequin round my way at the moment - I've seen it three times in the last two days. The worrying thing is that back in 1996 somebody actually went into a Volkswagen dealer and ordered the bloody thing. :shock:

Posted Image

The worrying thing is that back in 1996 somebody actually went into a Volkswagen dealer and ordered the bloody thing. :shock:

Something tells me that the majority of Polo Harlequins were resprayed a single colour after their first owners traded them in :)

The worrying thing is that back in 1996 somebody actually went into a Volkswagen dealer and ordered the bloody thing. :shock:

If I'd been buying a Polo in 1996, I know what would have happened. The dealer would have asked me what colour I wanted. My mind would have said "Blue. Buy the blue one. It won't look silly. Buy the blue one, the same blue you picked from the brochure, the blue you decided on". Followed by "Harlequin please!".

Posted Image

Yes you would have to be strange to do that-however what colour would the v5 logbook say??? :lol:

If I'd been buying a Polo in 1996, I know what would have happened. The dealer would have asked me what colour I wanted. My mind would have said "Blue. Buy the blue one. It won't look silly. Buy the blue one, the same blue you picked from the brochure, the blue you decided on". Followed by "Harlequin please!".
Only if you've been drinking can your resolve be THAT weak..."I'm going to have a chicken burger. I'm going to have a chicken burger. That's what I need, a small something to eat that won't contain too much lard, yeah a chickem burger I shall have. LARGE DONER KEBAB WITH LASHINGS OF SOSS PLEASE!"

Weren't those multi-coloured 'Harlequin' VWs something to do with The Rolling Stones ( 'a popular beat combo, m'lud')? Or did you just need to match Keith Richards intake of mood-altering substances before you thought that buying one - and prseumably paying extra - was a good idea?

• 2 weeks later...

Posted Image

Yellllllllllllllllllllllllllow :shock:

Posted Image

Posted Image

You just never see them out on the streets looking so unmolested, until Thursday....

Posted Image

1984 Metro

Posted Image

And just behind it was this pile of shite 3 series pick up.

The seller wants £950 for the beemer BTW :!:

That yellow Spitfire thing is pretty amazing! Looks like it's still a convertable, but is that part of a GT 6 hardtop as well? And what's happened at the front end- MGB grille grafted on? Not at all sure, but they've AMOST achieved the impossible... transformed the ultimate hairdresser's car into something quite- for want of a better word- butch!! :lol:

That yellow Spitfire thing is pretty amazing! Looks like it's still a convertable, but is that part of a GT 6 hardtop as well? And what's happened at the front end- MGB grille grafted on? Not at all sure, but they've AMOST achieved the impossible... transformed the ultimate hairdresser's car into something quite- for want of a better word- butch!! :lol:

I actually had to do a double-take and check that it wasn't a TVR or something...

• 3 weeks later...

I apologise for the quality of photos, they were all done on my phone.

Yello Mk 1 Fiasco

Posted Image

Plastic Pig X plater

Posted Image

TR6 with plate C TR6 0K

Posted Image

Crap Photo of retreating Bond MiniCar

Posted Image

Local Herald (daily driver)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...