North West AutoMarty

Marty

Spotted on my travels today - I also spied a D plate Dhiatsu and a Fiat Croma - Im going back to try and capture them....

Posted Image

There is a Dollomite behind this beast

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

T plate J- Work Shite

Posted Image

Doppleganger time :shock:

Posted Image

WOW! What an amazing find - by the power invested in me as Archivist for the Datsun Owners Club I demand to know more about that Cabstar. It's an F20 model, and in 2004 there were only four left on the road. I knew of a camper recently, and a couple have been seen in scrapyards, but the export trade pretty much wiped them off our roads.

I'd love to see a better picture and find out more, great to see it still working.

Posted Image

Utter awesomeness in every way! I WANT! I've got some new hub caps and a new windscreen for one of those :lol: That guy seriously needs to be made aware how rare an f20 is and that there's a new home for it in my shed just waiting :wink:

-Ed

That 309 is a real pov=spec XE or something isn't it? Look at those skinny tyres! Have you also managed to get a facelift 309 in shot too?Beige definitely colour of the moment - saw a 5dr Starlet just like my old one yesterday on the A12, then an Allegro this morning. Also commented on beigey-ness of an Almera saloon parked up in a layby (probably for a quick tea from the Thermos, that's the life).

Just spotted the J20 Cabstar again - got a couple of better (not brilliant though as taken on my phone through tinted windows) photos - one of which shows the phone number of the bloke who owns it. I will upload them tonight after work.PM Me if you want his details, but I must warn you its in quite poor condition.Marty

Posted Image

Got a lot of time for these for some reason, despite having never driven one. I have no doubt they are awful to drive and, being a cheap Yank, require you to grow greasy sideburns and put a Confederate flag outside your house or something 8)

Am I right in think that the RHD ones have some form of chain running from the 'original' steering column to the other side of the dash, although hidden behind the fascia?

Wow! It doesn't look all that bad considering. can you PM me the dude's details. I think a phone call is in order!Even if it's rotten I'm willing to chance it on the basis of I'm unlikely to see another one. I can always get myself over to Finland to get parts to restore. The condition of the bed doesn't matter either as it'd be getting ditched in favour of something more usefull :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What became the differences on a BX post 87 then? Clear front indicators are all I can think of.....

Could you actually get a Y plate BX? Thought they may have started at A or B......

I think Y-Plate BXs are quite few & far between (especially now! :roll: ) but there were a few early ones registered on a Y.

Main visual differences between pre & post '87 Model Year BXs....As You mentioned, larger clear front indicators replaced the slightly smaller, squarer orange jobbies on the early cars....New, deeper bumpers, smoother in design, and with black push-in trim strips fitted (which corroded, fell to pieces, popped out, and generally looked pretty crap, pretty quickly)replaced the squarer early bumpers....Little plastic "stone guards" fitted to the front of the rear wheelarch on the later cars, wheras the earlier ones made do with a tiny piece of tape....Larger door mirrors on the later cars....This particular car has all-silver wheel trims, on an earlier car this design are a darker grey with black "ovals"....And the main giveaway is to look inside, where the dashboard of the later cars is quite a smooth, "organic" design using conventional dials, replacing the angular (and much more desirable IMO) earlier dash which used the good ol' revolving drum speedo & (depandant on spec) L.E.D rev-counter.

I prefer the early cars....Much sharper 8)

As the BX was launched in the uk in August 1983 it seems unlikely that there were ever any `y` plated ones unless Citroen sent over any cars in the july for road testing for example,which is possible.I certainly never remember seeing one.

Well I can confirm that there was at least one on a Y-plate, cos I've seen it! It was a gold 16TRS on the early optional alloys....I remember it, cos at the time (about 1988) I was driving an April '84 (A-Reg) 16RS, and was mystified about it myself.... :shock:

Having since spent some time working within the franchised motor industry, I can only assume that (as You mentioned Mr.Cherry) this was a Slough press car, or a prematurely registered dealer demo - It happens from time to time....Or, I suppose it's conceivable that it could've been an '82 car from mainland Europe that had been personally imported/registered here? I don't recall what side the driver was sitting! :?

TiffX19....That's an unusual dash configuration You've pictured there....The early style dashboard, but with analogue dials? Is that from a SPORT, or something equally exotic? The colours/steering wheel suggest a pretty "normal" car, but I've never seen one with dials! :?

I guess it wouldn't be unknown to see a Y-reg'er as Slough would have got some pre-prod RHD models in first for press purposes, I'm sure. I believe there was something like a whole year's gap between release in France and the UK - wonder why? I've seen some V-reg Metros and H-reg 'VELAR' Range Rovers for the same purpose, plus a T-reg Cortina 80. Mega kudos value for this kind of thing!

Manufacturer CITROEN Model BX 16TRS Body type 4 DOOR SALOON Colour WHITE Fuel type PETROL Date manufactured 30 December 1988 Number of previous owners 0 Last owner change 29 March 1988