Autoshite lexicon

Formula Autos

6 minutes ago, Formula Autos said:

As the originator of this thread, I can’t help but think it’s degenerated into a catalogue of eBay listings terminology. 

Oh well ....

Perhaps only temporarily.

It's definitely useful as a reference, I've had to refer to the useful bits a few times!

• 3 weeks later...

Hopefully this fits in here, I've nowhere else to post this snippet I've bounced around a few times:

Solihull Roulette; the endless fun caused by JLR using the same warning chime to tell you it's a bit chilly outside, or that the gearbox is about to fall out - and you never know which one's going to happen next

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2017 at 1:22 PM, flat4alfa said:

One of those is in Somerset.

A Chevrolet Monza SR, brought in from Venezuela.  Was on eBay earlier this year, in a state so didn't sell at almost £2k.

s-l1600.jpg img_0327.jpg   I think the fire is out now though.

The man on RR who has this shonky Monza also mentioned:

I forgot “Shonky”, I heard that used for the first time in 1972; perfect word to describe an unloved, unwashed, down trodden, rust bucket, using excess burnt engine oil to subdue the flies drawn, in swarms, to it. (I’m going to use Shonky tomurrah!)

On 3/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Fucquilibrium. That fucked up equilibrium one experiences having paid for some expensive preventative maintenance; fuck me that's expensive/ well it is better to get this fixorated now whilst everything is off the car... 

I've defined it to myself in the past, as that moment when I've spent a small fortune on parts and/or repairs, and the bloody thing resolutely defies fixing. It's the moment just before going full Basil Fawlty on it, when the entire universe is humming along just nicely thanks, except that bit I'm currently inhabiting, without two brass farthings to rub together.

Right, that's it, you're going to get a damn good thrashing...etc.

Also -and I'm not sure it's entirely relevant, but bear with me - as a result of someone mishearing what I was saying the other day, when 'valerian tea' became 'Bavarian tea'...

BAVARIAN TEA - a bottled brewed beverage from the Rhineland, sufficient consumption of which is helpful in overcoming the disappointments typically experienced after FUCQUILIBRIUM, FTP, FTS and IFFMBT among others. Analogous to, (and sometimes resulting from a misfortune induced by) DUTCH COURAGE.

• 1 month later...
On 14/05/2021 at 12:37, Talbot said:

As was prevalent in Kit Car circles a goodly few years ago:

"Video build" = A knackered VHS video of my mate ragging it around a field a few times, followed by 4 of us standing around the engine bay while it boils over.

Sounds like an episode of Top Gear in the Clarkson/Hammond/May era.

• 1 month later...
  • brownnova unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not quite sure of the context you've seen it in, @carburettor, but possibly short for Retest And Fix?

I think that's when a garage MOTs a car as presented, and if it fails on something minor (like a split wiper or blown bulb) then it's first logged on the system as having failed, then logged again as a pass, and the garage then fixes the issue before presenting the owner with a pass certificate and bill for the test plus whatever work it's needed.

I think it keeps the test centre in question's pass/fail ratio within expected parameters, and avoids DVSA asking awkward questions about why they're logging 96% pass rates.

I could be talking bollocks, of course, since here in Northern Ireland the system doesn't work that way at all and if it fails on anything you have to take the car away and book a retest for another day - but I think I've heard others on here mention that they've had their car MOT failed, then immediately passed with a fix.

16 hours ago, High Jetter said:

That was my first thought too. Surely if it related to repair and re-test it would be FAR(t). Can you give us the context, @carburettor?

Yes,

I posted an image of a Mazda 323, the 1998 model with 55657 miles. At £3295 or some such figure plucked out of the clouds and being described as  rare because it is the “Imola” model I thought the seller was  and probably still is dreaming. Someone replied RAF mot.

thank you