Bad news for drivers of black German cars...

MrRegieRitmo

and oblivious dawdlers in Nissan Micras.

http://news.sky.com/story/1099507/middle-lane-hogs-face-100-on-the-spot-fines

In fact this amusing scenario could see two stereotypical drivers fined in one fell swoop; the Micra driver for hogging the middle lane without good reason and the black A4 driver (that's the car not the driver) for sitting on his back bumper! :P

No...it is happening and I reckon it is a bad thing.

A great idea and no doubt if people are asked whether they support it the answer would be a resounding yes. After these are the very twats that make motorway driving such hard work.

But the problem lies in the everyday enforcement. One man's middle lane hogger is another one's early planner who looks ahead and moves into the flow in good time. The judgement will be down to the copper involved and many seem to lack any ability to take such decisions.

This is lazy policing using the fixed penalty system. What we actually need is police on the road to 'have a word' with these people to make them understand. A fixed penalty through the letter box does not do this.

Personally I think a word from a copper if you are caught speeding is far more effective than a fixed penalty.................these just make you think 'cunts' before continuing to go about your business. A reasonable copper explaining that you were going a bit quick in the conditions might open your eyes a bit.......

No...it is happening and I reckon it is a bad thing.

A great idea and no doubt if people are asked whether they support it the answer would be a resounding yes. After these are the very twats that make motorway driving such hard work.

But the problem lies in the everyday enforcement. One man's middle lane hogger is another one's early planner who looks ahead and moves into the flow in good time. The judgement will be down to the copper involved and many seem to lack any ability to take such decisions.

This is lazy policing using the fixed penalty system. What we actually need is police on the road to 'have a word' with these people to make them understand. A fixed penalty through the letter box does not do this.

Personally I think a word from a copper if you are caught speeding is far more effective than a fixed penalty.................these just make you think 'cunts' before continuing to go about your business. A reasonable copper explaining that you were going a bit quick in the conditions might open your eyes a bit.......

i have just realised something.....they can view drivers in the middle lane, or tailgating on cameras and send out fixed penalty notices without police involvement. Thats what this is really about - giving the highways agency the ability to generate more revenue

i have just realised something.....they can view drivers in the middle lane, or tailgating on cameras and send out fixed penalty notices without police involvement. Thats what this is really about - giving the highways agency the ability to generate more revenue

I'll bet those clever lane control / speed control gantries have had their software updated in readiness and they'll not be an extra rozzer to be seen.

Exactly.

Not going to get on my soapbox (just yet) but the coppers keep campaigning to get more laws. The thing is there is usually something that exists that a real copper could use. The extra power they seek is much more defined (so judgement of a person can be replaced by a camera image) and will be either be capable of being dealt with by a fixed penalty of remote control (ie camera). Next will be increasing the powers of other 'officials' (like council staff and wombles) so they can issue the tickets.

Its all a conspiracy y'know............ And 'they' hate old cars too..........

Blimey, what a response.

I for one welcome the change, something had to happen to stop these idiotic driver behaviours and this will make it easier for the traffic police to pull people over and give them a ticking off. At present I presume hogging the middle lane would be classed as driving without due care and attention which can only be dealt with by way of court appearance. Therefore It is no wonder no one has really been pulled for this. It would be way too ambiguous to enforce camera generated fines for this type of activity in my opinion.

What we need is for drivers to THINK a little more, I believe stiffer penalty notices would help achieve this. Make it a £500 fine for both middle lane hoggers and bumper huggers and have an active period of heavy enforcement would soon help people to think a little more about their behaviour! Jesus, why not employ more officers on a profit based system to pull these wankers over, they could generate £££s per hour. :lol:

I can see this ending in tears, what about if you are merging from a slip road, you pull out behind a car that has just passed and get ticketed before you have a chance to adjust your distance or move into an outer lane. It will make it impossible to merge onto a busy road because nobody leaves you a big enough gap.

Blimey, what a response.

I for one welcome the change, something had to happen to stop these idiotic driver behaviours and this will make it easier for the traffic police to pull people over and give them a ticking off.

THIS.

Let's be clear about this, there is no new legislation, no new laws, only a difference in the way the existing ones are processed. It's already illegal to tailgate and if traffic Plod catch you at it you'll face a far harder penalty that the £90 FP fine that's being proposed.

It's a dangerous practise that needs to be dealt with. All this is doing is freeing up some of the lesser motoring offences from court time, if you think you've been hard done by you can still opt for a court hearing.

Blimey, what a response.

I for one welcome the change, something had to happen to stop these idiotic driver behaviours and this will make it easier for the traffic police to pull people over and give them a ticking off. At present I presume hogging the middle lane would be classed as driving without due care and attention which can only be dealt with by way of court appearance. Therefore It is no wonder no one has really been pulled for this. It would be way too ambiguous to enforce camera generated fines for this type of activity in my opinion.

What we need is for drivers to THINK a little more, I believe stiffer penalty notices would help achieve this. Make it a £500 fine for both middle lane hoggers and bumper huggers and have an active period of heavy enforcement would soon help people to think a little more about their behaviour! Jesus, why not employ more officers on a profit based system to pull these wankers over, they could generate £££s per hour. :lol:

All I am saying is that the police should enforce what exists..............with officers. If a prosecute is taken then if I think it is perfectly fair that the charge should be capable of scrutiny by a court regardless of the fact it is 'only' a motoring offence.

I resent the move to fixed penalties where you are alleged to have committed an offence and if are are prepared to take a fine and points that will be an end to it. Sometimes things are not that simple or there are extenuating circumstances but woe betide any motorist that has the temerity to opt for mag court............likelihood is you will get found guilty with more points and a bigger fine.

BTW I totally agree that we need to get people to think more. Especialy about the effect of their action on others...............in any situation, not just on the road.

The use of the phrase KEEP LEFT UNLESS OVERTAKING on every sign gantry not in alternative active use would be a good thing.

I've often wondered why they don't do this. Especially as instead they seem to use them to help me with the tricky mental arithmetic of working out how many minutes it's going to take me to travel the next 10 miles at 60mph.

With regard to overhead gantry signs... I'm more worried about all the deer on the roads in Bailieston. Are they bad drivers or something?

Not sure about this fixed penalty for tailgaiting/lane hogging/wrong lane on a roundabout thing though... It really smacks of money raising rather than safety.

With regard to overhead gantry signs... I'm more worried about all the deer on the roads in Bailieston. Are they bad drivers or something?

Very flighty things deer, prone to changing lanes without indicating and braking when they see a particularly nice bit of grass.

As ever, the Daily Mash has a nice counterpoint...

To further the debate, I'm not sure it's got anything to do with driver education, tailgating in particular isn't done out of ignorance of the correct driving procedure, it's done because the driver's an aggressive fucktard. No-one tailgates by accident.

It's all a bit of a moot point anyway, even on busy stretches of motorway Plod has about three cars to patrol several hundred miles of road, the chances of getting caught are no greater now than they were yesterday.

Perhaps many of the people that complain of tailgating are the same ones hogging the outer two lanes with miles of empty inside lane in sight?

Death's too good for these socially oblivious bastards.

Anyone found dawdling in either of the two OVERTAKING lanes, blithely unaware of their surroundings or the fact that they're enraging a queue of other road users behind them, should be forced to listen to Terry Wogan interviewing Dale Winton on endless loop for the rest of their lives, with no chance of remission. Perhaps they'll then understand the pain and misery they've unwittingly or uncaringly caused to others.

I travel on the M25 every day where it is now four lanes.  I regularly see people hogging (ie not overtaking anything) lane three which is just totally lazy and selfish.  Basically there is nothing in lane one at all apart from the odd lorry.

The other thing that I hate it that if you do drive in lane one at a reasonable speed (say 70mph) and come up behind a lorry or something, the middle laner will box you in almost everytime.  They could speed up a bit and get past so that you can pull out.  They could pull into lane three so that you can pull out.  But no, they just sail on oblivious to the car in lane one approaching a lorry with right indicator on.  Basically these people force you to pull out early, before they get there and stop you.

That said if people are changing lanes all the time to avoid fines I can see accident rates going up.  At the moment at least people are predictable as they never change lanes at all.

How will the camera tell the difference between someone who just "happens" to be in the centre lane and someone who is hogging it.

And as the owner of a nearly black old German car,am I guilty ?

How will the camera tell the difference between someone who just "happens" to be in the centre lane and someone who is hogging it.

And as the owner of a nearly black old German car,am I guilty ?

I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave a few posts back.

If indeed the speed/lane control gantries are used to enforce this, then surely the average speed control element of them (that is apparently fooled by changing lanes*) will be able to detect that you haven't changed lanes between a selection of points.

And yes.

*I don't really believe that this was ever true

If indeed the speed/lane control gantries are used to enforce this, then surely the average speed control element of them (that is apparently fooled by changing lanes) will be able to detect that you haven't changed lanes between a selection of points.

This makes the possibly spurious presumption that other lanes haven't been used between camera points...

I imagine this is the sort of 'middle lane hog' that they intend to deal with...rightly so too, you get these all the time on the M180 & M18...

http://youtu.be/fRd5NtZSHpE

They piss me off mightly too, but..... was that a slip road being passed at the start of the clip?  If so, 'Captain Clueless' was in the right place to allow traffic to enter the main stream, and it's not shown whether he moved back to lane 1 after passing the junction.

As for 'Commander Cockwand'...  :neutral:

Yes you're quite right.....I also see them holding people up on country roads. Not quite as badly as the tractors but not far off!

Actually to be fair, I have seen 1 or 2 Micras being driven quickly on motorways but it's definitely the exception rather than the norm.

Plenty of other cars do get driven selfishly in the middle lane or unnecessarily slowly on other roads, but a Micra to me seems to be a typical culprit which springs to mind, especially in K11 flavour, in the same way that the back bumper kissers always seem to be black TDI Volkswagens or Audis! Complete generalisations, but that's how all assumptions are made - just ask the insurance companies!

I think you're treated as scum driving an older car.

Several times when I was driving down south in the Volvosaurus (old, square, dirty, smokey, but reasonably nippy), I tried to filter into the outside lane, drivers in newish cars accelerated to close the gap and stop me.

This. The people that get annoyed with people hogging lanes are often the kind of arsehole who wont let people move and accellerate into the space the person wants to move into. Is there any wonder people stay in one lane with that kind of driving? If someone indicates to move into another lane, it kind of means they are going to move, its not a green flag for you to speed up and drive straight at them.