NEW Dacia. £5995 Would you buy one?

warren t claim

Have you seen many UK registered examples on the road yet?

Yes there is a dealer in Preston and I have spied three Sandaros - though all disappointingly not the £6K base spec ones and one Duster that might be base spec as it was white and one Duster in blue.

I just can't see the attraction. Used cars are so cheap in this country, it just doesn't make sense to buy new, no matter how good a deal you get. Even that MG6 will be worth 2 grand in a couple of years' time.

Boring by-the-way story: When I did my placement at Jaguar, I was amazed that most of the people working there (in the office as well as on the production line) were making full use of the employee benefit that allowed them to buy a new car (Ford/Jaguar) every 6 months or so at 20% (or was it 15%) off list price. Once you took into account the discount you'd get from a dealer and the cost of finance (of course, nobody paid upfront, I don't even know whether it was possible to do so), they ended up spending a good 3 grand a year just to be driving a nearly new run-of-the-mill Focus. Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing that, but it makes no logical/financial sense to me.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing that, but it makes no logical/financial sense to me.

Think of it this way - If less people bought or leased new cars then we wouldn't be able to pick them up for such a small fraction of their original price a few years later.

That Dacia reminds me of the no frills approach Kia took with the mk1 Rio.

I imagine in 5 years they'll be ridiculously good value.

The GEM magazine reviews the Duster this quarter - predictably for GEM they slate it for its meagre safety equipment level - OMG stability control costs another £350 if you want it and there are no seatbelt pretensioners on the base model.... Wont someone think of the children.

FFS

I could be tempted to buy one - not the cheapo white base model. I would prefer a choice in colour scheme. Would rather go for the 0.9 Tce engine.

The thought of owning a brand new car with no scratches on it scares me a bit - even a cheap one. Feel a bit more comfortable in something a little more 'battle scarred'.

My 57 plate MetBlack PROTON Savvy, from day1 new has acquired:-

Vandal scratch offside.

Door cleat drivers door.

Same passenger door.

Visible ding in n/s wing - fellow walked into it at speed.....

Brick type cleat in roof ( recently ).... no idea?

Also, @74k, fairly rough gravelrash along bonnet edge/ bumper/ grille.

6k ruined........

I like it and might get a 'flash ovva' + doors.

tooSavvy

Keep seeing them on ebay for much more than 5995;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-62-Dacia ... 762wt_1193

:lol: Ten grand for a car with "£5995, you do the maths" signwritten on it.

True. But that's the posh model. Six large (less a pint & a pie at the Autoshite Arms) gets you the bollock-naked pov spec with keep-fit windows and the boat-anchor out of a 1998 Clio...

It starts to be come less appealling at that 10 grand. I can understand why you'd want to spend 6 grand on some basic method of transport that's not going to cost you any money for repairs or mot's for 3 years but when you get to that money it becomes a bit pointless.

My mum is looking at trading in her 2001 Octavia and asked what she should get and I pointed her to the Dacia website, seems to be a good option for a 62 year old who is really only interested in getting from A to B reliably and cheaply. She'd probably have the base povvo-spec model, she has a bit of a fixation about keep-fit windows, on the basis that in the event she flips the car into a rover/lake/harbour she'll be able to wind the window down to swim to safety, something which isn't an option with leccy ones.

Not sure why that features at the top of the 'must-have features' list but who am I to question her logic?

anyway, a Sandero looks a bit bigger than a suzuki alto does (at least in pictures, I've never seen one in the metal (flesh?) and not sure what they are like inside but if I was in the market for a brand new car with associated warranty and 3 MOT-less years I'd definitely go and see one at a dealer.

agree totally that £5995 buys me a lot of new sills for my almera though.

I have yet to see the much-vaunted and possibly mythical 5995 base model in the flesh, but did you know they are now selling the Logan estate here too? That one in base form is 6995. this could well be the new default choice of minicab.

Mrs Oman5 is seriously considering a sandero dci, (her money, her choice)we have to arrange a test drive first.I'll let you know my findings.

I had a nose at one close up in the work car park, its a pretty big car, bigger than a new swift and the boot is huge. There is no diesel car anywhere near it for the price. the basic VW UP! is dearer with a miserable 1.0 pez motor.

Yes, I'd have a Dacia. I'm actually thinking that I might do it next year tbh.

Been in France recently and theres a huge number about. I really like the Logan Estate which will be £6995 in the UK for the base spec. I think if you were buying one then base spec seems to be the most sensible.

That said I do like the look of the Sandero Stepway personally, its like a Rover Streetwise for 2013.

8909577038_b1cecf953d.jpg

Dacia Sandero Stepway by Mr Lobster, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

I papped a lesser spotted bearded £5995 Sandero in Arran at the weekend. It's being used as a hire car so if you want a shot all you need to do is drive to Scotland, get the ferry to Arran then you can drive it all day around the island for £25. Better than disneyland?

9003962583_c58267a5a7_z.jpg
The lesser Spotted Bearded Sandero by cort16, on Flickr

If I had 5k burning a hole in my pocket, there’s no way I’d buy that :wink:

I reckon you've just hit the nail on the head. The kind of people who have NOT got £5,000 will buy them as the finance options are likely to be quite favourable. Then, in three years time when it has the same value as white dog turd in a 10p mix bag from the local sweet shop, they can f*ck it off and start all over again.

Bit o/t but my wife and I are going to look at one this weekend. We desperately need a bigger car. The base 'access' model doesn't even have a radio but its only 9 grand. Having 3 old cars means I cant be sears with Mot, repairs etc so it'll have to ne a new one of some sort.

Are you going to look at the Duster? Apparantly you can get the warranty extended to 7 years for £850 or something.

They're built in India on the same line as the Micra, which I didn't know until the other day.

Dacia-Sandero-Stepway.jpg

A work mate has ordered one of these Stepways, it's 1.5DCi, no road tax, cheap MPG and all for under £8000, He says they drive really nice too, mind you he's also got a 4 month waiting list for it.

I also saw LOADS of these Dacia's whilst on holiday in Wales a few months back yet I haven't seen any here yet.

A Rolls as a Dacia alternative? Lol! There are some people who will only ever buy new, the people who drop it back to the dealer for every rattle and squeak.

£6k new car definitely has a place in society, sadly the people who *should* be buying it to help their finances will instead lob £6k as a deposit on a new A3 and pay the rest off over 30 years. The Dacia is going to struggle with the image problem.

Also, if nobody ever buys new, then we're going to run out of cars in 30 years time ;-)

Are you going to look at the Duster? Apparantly you can get the warranty extended to 7 years for £850 or something.

They're built in India on the same line as the Micra, which I didn't know until the other day.

Yes thats the one. We are going to Arran next month also so if our plan was a go-er we would fit right in with the hire car fleet. It probs replaces the 02 plate Perodua Nippa they used to farm out. It was proper bolixed, patched dolls et al.

I have lurked for a while but haven't logged in for ages.

Here goes......

I own * ......a Sandero.

I'm not going to try and justify any of this as most on here will not understand.

So.....its got the new 900cc turbo pez....89bhp, £20 road tax, i've done 2k in it, does 50+ Mpg....its not fell apart, nor is it sneaking like a squashed mouse.

It drives like a 1990's french car i.e Lots of bodyroll but its quite comfy.

Gearchange is quite notchy and the FM radio reception is appalling (apparently a common fault)

No one else round here has one.

Everytime i get in it its make me smile 'cos i hear James Mays voice.......Its the Dacia Sandero.!

I was going to get a povo spec one, but at 6'4" only the top-spec has height adjustable seat.

I looked at and tried.........basically every other 'small' car on the market and nothing else floated my boat.

Too common, looked good on outside but shite inside, crap MPG, Crap engine, No Headroom, Crap salesperson, etc etc

So there.

Wanna know anything else about it feel free to ask.

* I say 'own' its on a PCP so after 3 years, it'll go back and i'll get something else, or a Duster/Logon/Denem/.....

Yes the Skoda Citigo is (probably) better but my other half has one so didn't want to have his & hers.......