The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Maybe i should of made meself abit clearer haha. When the bikes in gear and we turn the back wheel the pistons aren't moving up and down.

Of course they won't. Guzzis have shaft drive, but the rear axle gearing is not hypoid like it would be in a car or a rubber cow (aka BMW).

The ring and pinion are diagonally cut gears.

So you can drive the rear axle by turning the crank, or even the drive shaft, but not the other way around. It will only bind.

I bet there is nothing wrong with that ruddy heap. You cannot push start a Guzzi. I should now, I pushed a Le Mans through the Berlin sand for two years in my life.

Fuggin Spaghettis.

Maybe i should of made meself a bit clearer haha. When the bikes in gear and we turn the back wheel the pistons aren't moving up and down.

Is this happening in every gear?

The only obvious reasons I can think of for the back wheel not picking up any drive from the engine are:

1) missing clutch plates

2) missing connecting rods, if clutch plates are fitted & you can identify that the crankshaft is turning when you spin the back wheel

3) a gearbox problem of some sort.

4) defective shaft drive, probably at the back wheel

The miracle CG125 continues to amaze.  It's struggling to start and idle on what smells like very stale petrol but it runs on a bit of throttle, pulls well and there's no nasty noises.  Looks like it might be burning a bit of oil, no surprise, but then it does have filthy old oil in it.  I've ridden it up and down a private road and can't really fault it.

It's now sporting the good front wheel, new speedo cable and mudguard off my other bike so everything's working now and it looks pretty good.  Next job once the bits arrive from ebay is a wash followed by a service with top quality oil, filter clean and a shiny new spark plug.  A glug of fresh pez and some cheap insurance, job jobbed.

Anyone want some CG125 bits?  I have most of one scattered around the house and yard!

I nearly ended up bidding on one of those CBR125 Repsol's - my initial reaction was 'jeez, what a dreadful pikey custom job' but after finding it was a genuine Honda special edition I warmed to it a lot, sadly it was cheap for a reason with a lot of cosmetic damage and suggestions of mechanical neglect.  It looks like a big heavy bike for such a little engine but I'm assuming it's mostly just plastics.

Yeah, its light as owt else in that size bike probably. I did feel like a bit of a tit as it kind of looks like someone with a small bike trying to pretend they have a big bike but it really was nice to ride, small enough to nip in and out of the traffic and fast enough to hold its own on bigger roads if need be. No stupid exhaust trying to sound like its bigger though its quite refined really.

Back tyre looks a bit flat there like though.....

After much fettling, my DT125R is finally finished (for now)

post-177-0-16939200-1371665262_thumb.jpg

post-177-0-97888200-1371665375_thumb.jpg

Fuel tap was fixed, the rear of the frame stripped and repainted, swing arm removed, repainted and regreased, brake fluid flushed, both brakes rebuilt and bled, new exhaust, all oils flushed and changed for quality stuff, coolant flushed, entire rats nest of wiring sorted, and a rear number plate / light / indicator thing fitted to tidy it up :)

I've got my CBT in a week, can't wait!

Looks nice that, some serious suspension travel!

OK, I'm going to ask this although I am aware this is a car forum, there's a lot of knowledge and experience on these threads so someone might have a suggestion!

I finally got the new battery and spark plug to get the miracle zombie back-from-the-dead CG125 started again, a few kicks and it fired into life and sounded fine.  I ran it up and down my short private road a few times to warm it up and it pulls well, no nasty noises or smoke when revved.  However:

* Even with a glug of slightly fresher petrol and a new spark plug, it won't idle - it needs a little throttle or it just stalls instantly, doesn't run rough but it's like the idle speed is set too low.

* When almost ready to stall, either when it idles too slowly or when I let it struggle in too high a gear, the engine does sound like it's knocking from the bottom end a little and when I left it in 2nd gear too long and it was trying to stall, I did get a cloud of greyish/blue smoke which appeared to be coming from under the engine, not the exhaust.

The oil in it is up to the level but looks dirty.  I have some fresh, very good quality oil to go in it if it's a keeper but if the engine is too badly worn it isn't worth it.  It's got 13k on the clock.

Bearing in mind this engine was seized when I got it, I'm not complaining!  It was run low on oil and locked up while being ridden by its previous owner, I just poured some oil down the bore, turned it over a few times and it ran so I am not going to be too cut up if it's knackered, just wondered whether this sounds terminal or is just a sign that it needs an oil change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry for the thread bump but my GPZ500 is a bit poorly. A keen internet mechanic tried to balance the carbs and has totally fucked the running up. Now it vibrates like a single a pops and bangs on the overrun. How hard is it to rebuild twin carbs or should I just get a used set off eBay?

I love the 500cc Kawasaki twin - brilliant little engine, revs like a turbine (by twin standards) and good on juice too.  Warren, I wouldn't have thought sorting twin carbs would be too much of a problem - I wouldn't fancy trying to balance quadruple carbs (one of the reasons I got rid of my CBR600), but two shouldn't be too much of a chore.  If you buy a used set off ebay, you run the risk of them being just as out of sorts as the ones on the bike.

Sorry for the thread bump but my GPZ500 is a bit poorly. A keen internet mechanic tried to balance the carbs and has totally fucked the running up. Now it vibrates like a single a pops and bangs on the overrun. How hard is it to rebuild twin carbs or should I just get a used set off eBay?

Seriously either take it to Reg Lennon's in 'The Port' or try good old Stu at Deeside Breakers on Dock Road, Connahs Quay. I bet either of them could sort it for you at a fair price.

I think Reg Lennon has retired.

The thing has never run right since I bought it and the internet mechanic just twiddled every screw in the carbs until it wouldn't start. Now it runs so rich it never needs the choke and vibrates so badly only Mrs Claim likes it. 25mpg isn't very good either. It comes to something when I use the Punto because it's quicker and more economical.

I've always loathed twins and this dog is no exception. Bodge and flog for £400 and buy something worthy while prices drop during the winter.

Seriously either take it to Reg Lennon's in 'The Port' or try good old Stu at Deeside Breakers on Dock Road, Connahs Quay. I bet either of them could sort it for you at a fair price.

Crikey, that takes me back, I though Deeside breakers on the dock closed up shop years ago?