The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

18 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Obvs. keeping hopeless old mopeds is worth it for the fun and enjoyment you get from riding them....

May be an image of motorcycle, dirt bike and text

The MT-5 didn't make this year's MOT, the bloody indicators have packed up one one side, and it's being a bastard to start. Again. 

The OR50 has done the grand total of one mile since 2021, and 23 miles since 2020. I expect 3 of them were pushing the bastard.

mbx50nearside1.thumb.jpg.e668a02d89fce42bf669a9e3f5863320.jpg

The MBX managed 20 miles since March 2022, and 78 miles since 2019. This fared quite well compared to some of the others and only about 2 miles were pushing it.

This week has been spent getting the Z200 running (success, the plug was fouled, so swapped for another) and getting four of  of the mopeds running and down for an MOT.  The GSX250 has been dropped off repairs to the sticking front caliper (and will be replaced at that garage by one of the FS1s), the 883 has been out for a ride and so has the Lambretta. 

Meanwhile wheeled this out of the back and should really make a start with it, or take it somewhere that can do it for me...

May be an image of scooter, dirt bike, motorcycle and text that says "Kawasaki 1 AR50"

It's a pity I can only give 1 like, this is a post of many likes 😁

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Obvs. keeping hopeless old mopeds is worth it for the fun and enjoyment you get from riding them....

May be an image of motorcycle, dirt bike and text

The MT-5 didn't make this year's MOT, the bloody indicators have packed up one one side, and it's being a bastard to start. Again. 

The OR50 has done the grand total of one mile since 2021, and 23 miles since 2020. I expect 3 of them were pushing the bastard.

mbx50nearside1.thumb.jpg.e668a02d89fce42bf669a9e3f5863320.jpg

The MBX managed 20 miles since March 2022, and 78 miles since 2019. This fared quite well compared to some of the others and only about 2 miles were pushing it.

This week has been spent getting the Z200 running (success, the plug was fouled, so swapped for another) and getting four of  of the mopeds running and down for an MOT.  The GSX250 has been dropped off repairs to the sticking front caliper (and will be replaced at that garage by one of the FS1s), the 883 has been out for a ride and so has the Lambretta. 

Meanwhile wheeled this out of the back and should really make a start with it, or take it somewhere that can do it for me...

May be an image of scooter, dirt bike, motorcycle and text that says "Kawasaki 1 AR50"

Christ, an MBX!  my first road legal powered 2 wheeler. Put me off Honda's for life! Stupid thing. Chopped in for an RD50MX11.. Now there was a dream machine,.

May be an image of bicycle, scooter and road

20 glorious* miles out in the Cheshire sun, today.  The photograph above was taken where the best bike shop I ever visited used to be, H Dugdales, near Helsby.  The climb up to it is bloody steep and this was actually in 1st gear at one point. This FS1 just like the other, i.e putting into 4th is like turning the engine off, so it was rightfully screwed all the way round. If in doubt, and all that.

May be an image of bicycle, motorcycle and road

Anyway, had a nice ride round from there, the bike kindly* repaying me by pissing all of it's gearbox oil out the moment I got home 🙄

Can't ride next week, so trying to cram a few more short trips out on some of the others, so a little foray down to the river later on this.  My God it's slow (and doesn't like full revs) but still good fun...

May be an image of 8 people, scooter, motorcycle, street, road and text

This one repaid me via the medium of the petrol cap seal. Had stopped to fill it up and then every slight movement or coming down the gears resulted in fuel spilling out. There should be a spare on the other one, but if not they can't be too hard to find.

Oh, stopped at the local main dealers for another look at the new BSA. The silver/chrome version is 100% the best looker of the lot, imho...

May be an image of motorcycle

There was also this R.E GT which is one hell of a nice looking bike...

May be an image of motorcycle and text that says "YOUR CITY. YOUR YOUR SUZUKI."

10 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

20 glorious* miles out in the Cheshire sun, today.  The photograph above was taken where the best bike shop I ever visited used to be, H Dugdales, near Helsby.  The climb up to it is bloody steep and this was actually in 1st gear at one point. This FS1 just like the other, i.e putting into 4th is like turning the engine off, so it was rightfully screwed all the way round. If in doubt, and all that.

Anyway, had a nice ride round from there, the bike kindly* repaying me by pissing all of it's gearbox oil out the moment I got home 🙄

Can't ride next week, so trying to cram a few more short trips out on some of the others, so a little foray down to the river later on this.  My God it's slow (and doesn't like full revs) but still good fun...

This one repaid me via the medium of the petrol cap seal. Had stopped to fill it up and then every slight movement or coming down the gears resulted in fuel spilling out. There should be a spare on the other one, but if not they can't be too hard to find.

Oh, stopped at the local main dealers for another look at the new BSA. The silver/chrome version is 100% the best looker of the lot, imho...

Those continentals are so nice. I was thinking of not getting a Himalayan and getting one of those but I saw sense.

5 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Dugdales. A blast from the past.

• 2 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.47183f6a7ac96e77753aac443efb14c9.png

This is the original 4 speed model with the vertical cylinder head fins and raised handlebars. I had a later Supa 5 (flat bars, horizontal fins and of course a 5 speed box) which I remember with great fondness. It was ace and easily equal  to any 250 from the west (asumming you've dumped it's Achilles heal - the truley dreadful Pneumant tyres).

15 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Anyone had any luck with cheap insurance  at the moment. Hastings are coming back the best for me on the comparison sites.

Try bikesure and MCN compare if you haven't already, I've got two bikes with bikesure and they did it the same price as it was for one.

Just a general wondering at the moment, so no for sale post.

Would there be any interest in this in a month or so? My lad is graduating to a 125.

2021 WK TTR 50, mechanically great - only issue is that the sidestand inhibitor is bypassed as it borked. Starts and runs fine, he's really looked after it. A rusty exhaust and a bit of surface here and there.

Less than 5k km on it, a broken brake lever from a previous owner and a few scuffs from him. First Mot not due till May 24.

I'm thinking £500 or a roffle at £10 a ticket.

IMG_20230612_200155.thumb.jpg.7d3b9e5e3b1c901f753c4c9c59210d0f.jpg

On 6/12/2023 at 8:09 PM, Sham said:

Just a general wondering at the moment, so no for sale post.

Would there be any interest in this in a month or so? My lad is graduating to a 125.

2021 WK TTR 50, mechanically great - only issue is that the sidestand inhibitor is bypassed as it borked. Starts and runs fine, he's really looked after it. A rusty exhaust and a bit of surface here and there.

Less than 5k km on it, a broken brake lever from a previous owner and a few scuffs from him. First Mot not due till May 24.

I'm thinking £500 or a roffle at £10 a ticket.

IMG_20230612_200155.thumb.jpg.7d3b9e5e3b1c901f753c4c9c59210d0f.jpg

@sporty-shite Was after a 50 for his lad, I think.

The rear caliper seems to be sticking quite badly on the Sprint all of a sudden. I was going to have a look at it this morning.

Been procrastinating instead, and finally accepted that I'm going to continue sunbathing in the garden for the rest of the day. 

A job for tomorrow perhaps (if I can be arsed)!

Brings back memories from doing some of that route* with about 20 other bikes in the summer of 76.

Of course one eejit would always give it the beans just before the ramp on the ferry was fully down and get a bit of a wheelie off the end.

* Dundonald > Ards > Portaferry > Strangford > Comber > Dundonald. Those were the days.