The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

And they were

Beardville arch near Coleraine

Clagan school near Cookstown

Carland crane near Cookstown but Fermanagh 

Creaganroe.railway station Monaghan

The sinking pub near naas Kildare

Visited friend to collect bewks near the curragh then left at1830 was back in Belfast just before 9

Sat in free stena plus drinking tea and eating all their lemon drizzle cake

400+ miles since this time yesterday

Might do another place at Crosby on way home if not too tired

Last Sunday (which seems forever away now) was the Easter Egg run to the Countess of Chester hospital. Great turn out and the weather held up

May be an image of 5 people, motorcycle, scooter and outdoors

May be an image of scooter, motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of 1 person, indoor and text that says "LIVE SPORT ONSKY Patrty HERE Private"

May be an image of 7 people, motorcycle, scooter and road

On the strength of that (i.e actually going out on mine) I went for a spin on Monday. Had planned to go to Bala, then maybe a trip through Tywyn/Machynlleth/Llanfair Caerinion/Welshpool, but it was sodding freezing so just went over the top and down into Llangollen.

120 odd mile round trip to the posh part of Stoke yesterday for this little champ...

Picture 6 of 11

60-odd mile round trip to a posh bit of Liverpool today for this little erm...

Picture 1 of 3 

Went out on my GSXS today. Did 250 miles up to Aberystwyth, onto Cardigan, then Carmarthen, onto M&P [which was closed as they no longer open on Sunday] and back home to SE Wales.

GSXS great again. Love this bike, my mate was on his RS1250 and we were 20%+ faster than other traffic even on greasy surfaces [though not in the 40s/30s/20s]. Lots of overtakes and nice smooth riding through the wide range of curves and turns on the route.

All 4 seasons too cold, wet, Sunny, blustery. But worth it.

9 minutes ago, pilninggas said:

Went out on my GSXS today. Did 250 miles up to Aberystwyth, onto Cardigan, then Carmarthen, onto M&P [which was closed as they no longer open on Sunday] and back home to SE Wales.

GSXS great again. Love this bike, my mate was on his RS1250 and we were 20%+ faster than other traffic even on greasy surfaces [though not in the 40s/30s/20s]. Lots of overtakes and nice smooth riding through the wide range of curves and turns on the route.

All 4 seasons too cold, wet, Sunny, blustery. But worth it.

Sounds a goodun. Always nice riding at the turn of the season. 

Bit of a bantam update....

Did the lands end trial over the Easter weekend. Well... I say did....

Managed to do the first 95 mile leg to the start, all good. Then did 34 of the 35 miles to the first section, and then the lights went out. Then the engine stopped. Ah. Must be not charging. 

That'll be why 🙄😢

IMG_20230413_184129769.jpg

I managed to find an upgrade stator, so that is all sorted, in conjunction with an LED headlight bulb, so the smoke shouldn't be escaping from the wiring any more. 

As the next event isn't till October, I'm taking the opportunity to go through everything with a fine tooth comb. First up, change the fork oil.

Oh.IMG_20230417_182005324.thumb.jpg.28cf7d0fae90042109d21243849d52df.jpg

Pretty sure it's not supposed to be that colour!

Fork seals must be a bit ropey, let's take a look...

IMG_20230417_181947885_HDR.thumb.jpg.d02c931549b59e5cf362da9fdf7928cc.jpgIMG_20230417_181956952.thumb.jpg.36f0c78473ed658af11f4e07f3f3ea6f.jpg

yep. They're knackered. And here's why 😳

IMG_20230417_182018690.thumb.jpg.2da3c72a81ca0782aef32f8db19487f2.jpg

New stanchions, seals, bushes and scraper seals (NLA so had to pay £24 for a pair from some robber on fleabay 🙄)

Once this is done, I'll test them out, then I need to build an engine cradle and whip the top end off for a good look see. From what I've found so far I'm expecting a wooden piston and a con rod made of Meccano 🤣

Yes and No really, I personally find full on sportsbikes too fast, have had a 919 Fireblade and a GSXR750 and just felt a bit too scared of the power to ever really enjoy them properly.

Having said that, they do only go as fast as you twist your wrist and if you've had a go on something similar and liked it then there isn't really a very good reason not to get the bike you want. 

If you don't like it just sell it and get something else, you'll probably have to try a few longer term to figure out what you really like.

39 minutes ago, MrGTI6 said:

What are people's thoughts on this ZX10R as a first big bike?

Although it's more than I was planning to spend, it looks good value compared to other examples. A mate bravely let me have a go on his 72-plate supercharged H2 at the weekend. I was only pottering about on it but I loved it. I feared it would be full-on and unapproachable but it was a doddle at low speeds and I liked the riding position.

He also let me have a go on a few of his other bikes including a KTM Superduke 1290 (nice but felt very tall), a similarly lofty BMW (wasn't keen), and a comparatively low Harley Sportster. 

Reviews suggest the ZX10R is well-regarded and very reliable. Would it be overkill for a beginner?

https://superbikefactory.co.uk/2004-kawasaki-zx-10r-black-with-27250-miles/

They are flighty fuckers and will spit you off very easily, complete overkill in my opinion, I'd be wanting something with electronic aids these days, cold tyres and an over enthusiastic throttle will see you high-sided leaving your driveway, a litre bike with no rider aids, short wheelbase and an aggressive power delivery is a whole handful of trouble if you are a novice.

A H2 is comparatively large, a ZX10 is small and cramped so not great if you are tall/fat

1000's are very easy to ride but gather huge speed very quickly and you may find yourself arriving at a corner a lot faster than you thought, they are so capable riding at normal speeds is a bit boring really. 

I've had or ridden pretty much all of the litre bikes up to about 2010, including an '04 ZX10 but found them pretty pointless on the road ultimately.

Not sure what you have now but your first big bike doesn't have to be a 1000cc sports bike, there's all sorts of stuff out there that is ultimately more rewarding on the road. 

Just my 2p

On 4/18/2023 at 7:06 PM, groovylee said:

I managed to find an upgrade stator, so that is all sorted, in conjunction with an LED headlight bulb, so the smoke shouldn't be escaping from the wiring any more. 

As the next event isn't till October, I'm taking the opportunity to go through everything with a fine tooth comb. First up, change the fork oil.

Oh.IMG_20230417_182005324.thumb.jpg.28cf7d0fae90042109d21243849d52df.jpg

Pretty sure it's not supposed to be that colour!

Fork seals must be a bit ropey, let's take a look...

IMG_20230417_181947885_HDR.thumb.jpg.d02c931549b59e5cf362da9fdf7928cc.jpgIMG_20230417_181956952.thumb.jpg.36f0c78473ed658af11f4e07f3f3ea6f.jpg

yep. They're knackered. And here's why 😳

IMG_20230417_182018690.thumb.jpg.2da3c72a81ca0782aef32f8db19487f2.jpg

New stanchions, seals, bushes and scraper seals (NLA so had to pay £24 for a pair from some robber on fleabay 🙄)

Once this is done, I'll test them out, then I need to build an engine cradle and whip the top end off for a good look see. From what I've found so far I'm expecting a wooden piston and a con rod made of Meccano 🤣

Haven’t had a chocolate milkshake in years.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:11 PM, Jazoli said:

, I'd be wanting something with electronic aids these days, cold tyres and an over enthusiastic throttle will see you high-sided leaving your driveway, a litre bike with no rider aids, short wheelbase and an aggressive power delivery is a whole handful of trouble if you are a novice.

I'd not quite agree if im honest. The last thing you want is a bike that has anti wheelie, traction, ABS etc - ideally, you need to know where things get 'sketchy' - as in how hard can you brake in the wet, how much grip do you have out of a dry roundabout etc is all good to know and moderate through seat of pants and right wrist. That way when you one day, dont have electronic aids, you might be prepared for the situation? I dont know, thats just my feelings.

Mind you i did buy several 600's when 17 and a 750 at 18 (back in the days of no electronic aids and a test that let you ride anything) so maybe i'm biased?

13 minutes ago, Stinkwheel said:

I'd not quite agree if im honest. The last thing you want is a bike that has anti wheelie, traction, ABS etc - ideally, you need to know where things get 'sketchy' - as in how hard can you brake in the wet, how much grip do you have out of a dry roundabout etc is all good to know and moderate through seat of pants and right wrist. That way when you one day, dont have electronic aids, you might be prepared for the situation? I dont know, thats just my feelings.

Mind you i did buy several 600's when 17 and a 750 at 18 (back in the days of no electronic aids and a test that let you ride anything) so maybe i'm biased?

You still know when things get sketchy, having rider aids doesn't remove the feel.

3 hours ago, Stinkwheel said:

Am with you there mate. Am a dinosaur too though learnt a lot along the way and a combo of big power and being my own safety net has a lot to do with that. Sold my last sports bike after a very spirited ride mind so guess self preservation is key. Hmmm might fix up that r6 this summer. 

I'm a dinosaur too. But there are times I find my Sprint just too fast and heavy. Seriously thinking about getting something smaller and lighter. Did think about an Enfield Meteor but I can't justify £4k on the finance right now, I have future plans to save up for. Don't get me wrong the Sprint is a lovely and capable bike, I just think I'm slowing down a bit 😂

But everyone is different, you don't know until you try, only then will you find out if it's for you or not.

most of them are ok just the irish sea ones cos they can be cheeky melonfarmers

this one isnt that cheap but i decided to cabin when i coulda stena plussed it (mold)

didnt have to book it and the weather not looking nice for sat but i dont care 

just wanted to get out - even tho wont be doing mega miles

Any recommendations for good grinder proof chains?

Had bike stolen from outside my house again, been able to recover it due to tracker but pretty negged out about the whole situation.

Is there anything in terms of security that will put the scruffs off for a bike parked outside?