The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

14 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Love mine, its more than the sum of its parts. 24.5 bhp is good enough on the tracks I use it on, and can push it along at 120kph on the motorway if needed.

It's only downside is it's a bit heavy. I'd rather it lost 20kg than gained 5bhp.

I didn't mind the weight to be honest. Never felt heavy to ride. Might be a bit more noticeable with luggage on it though. 

59 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

It came from my mate in Liverpool and I dont think he had it advertised.

Fair enough. I nearly got the one that is for sale in Kingswinford. I don't actually have much experience with any Kawasaki's though.

23 hours ago, tom13 said:

Had a go on this yesterday. Loved it better than I thought it would be. Speed was easily enough, they aren't as slow as people make out I think. Easily do 60-70 on the lanes. Just a perfect all rounder for a great price. PXL_20230322_160741272.thumb.jpg.6a70e9773964cd315b17a6af9537fe20.jpgPXL_20230322_160748449.thumb.jpg.c9b7d7da787e595827167b52cbd254e3.jpgPXL_20230322_160741272.thumb.jpg.6a70e9773964cd315b17a6af9537fe20.jpg

PXL_20230322_160756189.jpg

Looks lovely that. I'm thinking of getting a Meteor 350 when I've done my big boy license later this year 

23 hours ago, tom13 said:

I will be on the beggars roost stage. Will have to post on here when you are coming through. 

awesome stuff! i'll do my best, but having seen the state of some of the bike set when ive seen them on trials, posting on here may be a bit of a push lol.

i should be coming through Beggars roost at about 22:30 if all goes to plan. if not, you may see a green Rickman Ranger instead. hopefully not... if on the bantam, you'll spot me because i'll be the one that probably falls off on the restart - Number 14. 😅

by way of a bit of an update on the bantam - I've got the carb back together, the head back on the bike, and brought it back into the living room for some timing checks. I need to grab my DTI from father groovys house tonight, but a speculative check of TDC using a screwdriver in the plug hole yielded some unexpected results...

the timing is 180 degrees out. yep. set at 16.5 degrees before BOTTOM dead centre. i had to check it three or four times, then video call my 2 stroke licker mate to further check my findings. he was as shocked as I was!

so tonight is going to be full on reset of points gap, points cam, set the ignition timing properly, new spark plug. then drain the tank and put some fresh fuel in with a confirmed ratio of two stroke, and then on to test starting and tweaking the air and idle screws to get it running well at idle. after that, it's test ride time.

it seemed to go ok the way it was, so if i get the timing and fuelling right tonight, it should go like a scalded cat in comparison!* 

*as much as a 175 bantam can, anyway 🤣

After riding the Keeway up the hill from Cleobury I was left wondering if I could sneak a 250 engine into it as it was so much slower than the other bikes (I got overtaken by a Land Rover).

A bit of thinking today and I checked the front brakes in town.  Really stuck on, hard to turn the wheel.  Gave them a tap and rode home using only the back brake.  Much improved :)

Suppose I'd best take them apart again before the run as we're setting off at 8am on Saturday.

ff490da4-d29e-4ab7-9ef7-55bf7847fc92.thumb.jpg.dfe853cff3323d46c12e30e9f842f91b.jpg

More pictures are unfortunately in Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/100033143781078/

If you'd like to sponsor us link is here 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Wicked-Removals?utm_source=copyLink&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=Wicked-Removals&utm_campaign=pfp-share&utm_term=4a4421ccbf51414e9a2c6988de95d9f2

more bantam news. some good, some bad....

managed to get the timing done and it started first kick, result!

took it for a 5 mile run, nice and easy. during the ride the gear changes started feeling a bit notchy, and the engine sounded a bit rattly. as i pulled into my drive, pulling the clutch in killed the engine. very strange.

thought i'd better check the gearbox oil. it should take 568 ml (a pint) before it starts to run out of the level hole. i managed to put 390 ml in before it was full. 🙄

still no better, although a bit quieter. pulling in the clutch, even in neutral, killed the engine. so back into the house to take a closer look.

on pulling off the side cases, i noticed the clutch basket didnt look like it was fully seated on the shaft. so i went to give it a poke, and it came off in my hands!  the nut that secures the whole clutch basket to the shaft had come undone.

so off with the clutch, separated it all, and im now just waiting on the clutch holding tool so i can tighten the nut back up properly. then we should be good to go. after i've re set the timing etc all over again!

buy an old two stroke they said. it'll be fun they said. 😅

Just taken an Enfield Meteor out for a test ride. Bloody lovely bike, it suits me just right. Comfy and perfect for bimbling around on. Build quality seems really good too. And the best bit is the salesman was not pushy at all, a  nice change. I like the blue better though. Time to talk to the financial director. The bike is so good I would even contemplate selling my GT185 to fund a purchase😱

IMG_20230327_102425.jpg

27 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Just taken an Enfield Meteor out for a test ride. Bloody lovely bike, it suits me just right. Comfy and perfect for bimbling around on. Build quality seems really good too. And the best bit is the salesman was not pushy at all, a  nice change. I like the blue better though. Time to talk to the financial director. The bike is so good I would even contemplate selling my GT185 to fund a purchase😱

IMG_20230327_102425.jpg

Haven't even got my license yet but these look a great first bike after the test! 

50 minutes ago, straightSix said:

Haven't even got my license yet but these look a great first bike after the test! 

Honestly they are great. Not much faster than a modern 125 though and a huge difference from my Sprint. But I think that just proves what a capable bike they are if I would consider selling my Sprint and my GT185 to get one.

My son's BSA Goldstar will be having its initial (600 miles, I think) 'running in' period first service and checkover this coming Saturday.  He says he loves everything about it - except for cleaning spoked wheels.  He reckons that it's a small 'price' to pay for so much enjoyment.

Photo: Parked in Nether Winchendon outside the church where I was married in 1972, visiting his Mum who took up residence in the churchyard in 2007.  It is a shame that my arthritic hips prevent me going on the pillion.  I'll see if he is going to fit a sidecar anytime soon (I doubt it).

1678627459316.JPEG

On 3/26/2023 at 4:36 PM, catsinthewelder said:

After riding the Keeway up the hill from Cleobury I was left wondering if I could sneak a 250 engine into it as it was so much slower than the other bikes (I got overtaken by a Land Rover).

A bit of thinking today and I checked the front brakes in town.  Really stuck on, hard to turn the wheel.  Gave them a tap and rode home using only the back brake.  Much improved :)

Suppose I'd best take them apart again before the run as we're setting off at 8am on Saturday.

More pictures are unfortunately in Facebook

https://m.facebook.com/100033143781078/

If you'd like to sponsor us link is here 

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Wicked-Removals?utm_source=copyLink&utm_medium=fundraising&utm_content=Wicked-Removals&utm_campaign=pfp-share&utm_term=4a4421ccbf51414e9a2c6988de95d9f2

Good luck, Rich, look forward to the write up.

Less good news on the Superdream front. Finally got the carbs off, not only are the float bowls full of sort of dust, but as after a bit of persuasion on the rounded off screws, they (bowls) broke. Yesterday,  the previously fuel tight petrol tank sprung three or four leaks. 

Great to read about both the Meteor and the Gold Star.

These sorts of bikes make incredible sense. A mate is vaguely looking a Meteor as a D/D due to stonking mpgs.

I acquired a Hyundai Hyosung Stellar GT650R (2018, 3000 miles, minty fresh for peanuts), I need to fix my roof on the weekend, but plan to tax & insure it and get out on it. I got it that cheap I might just punt it on in a couple of months.

IMG_20230328_185200.jpg

IMG_20230328_185209.jpg

IMG_20230328_185228.jpg

8 minutes ago, pilninggas said:

Great to read about both the Meteor and the Gold Star.

These sorts of bikes make incredible sense. A mate is vaguely looking a Meteor as a D/D due to stonking mpgs.

I acquired a Hyundai Hyosung Stellar GT650R (2018, 3000 miles, minty fresh for peanuts), I need to fix my roof on the weekend, but plan to tax & insure it and get out on it. I got it that cheap I might just punt it on in a couple of months.

IMG_20230328_185200.jpg

IMG_20230328_185209.jpg

IMG_20230328_185228.jpg

? Doesn't this have a Suzuki SV engine/copy? Nice bike, but a bit sporty for my old bones 

6 minutes ago, andyberg said:

? Doesn't this have a Suzuki SV engine/copy? Nice bike, but a bit sporty for my old bones 

I think the SV650 engine is a bit apocryphal; i think Hyosung may have made Sook engines, but comparing the SV650 motor to this one, the designs are not that similar.

My bones are also old (i sold 3 sports bikes in 2019-2020), but the price for this was too good to turn down and i figure ill limit my rides to hour-radius (Aber, Hereford, Glos, Portcawl, WsM and Cheddar).

As with a lot of korean stuff it's actually quite well screwed together, the dash is like something from a rubbish late 90s parts-bin jap though.

1 minute ago, pilninggas said:

I think the SV650 engine is a bit apocryphal; i think Hyosung may have made Sook engines, but comparing the SV650 motor to this one, the designs are not that similar.

My bones are also old (i sold 3 sports bikes in 2019-2020), but the price for this was too good to turn down and i figure ill limit my rides to hour-radius (Aber, Hereford, Glos, Portcawl, WsM and Cheddar).

As with a lot of korean stuff it's actually quite well screwed together, the dash is like something from a rubbish late 90s parts-bin jap though.

Ah ok. If you pop to the cheddar area one day, give me a shout. If I'm off I'll jump on a bike and meet up for coffee if you like.

That hyosung is actually a really nice looking bike, well bought @pilninggas!

You are right, the engine isn't the same as the Suzuki one, it was a bit of an urban myth because I think they built some engines for Suzuki, who they are kind of mentored by I believe. But I bet if you looked at any hyosung 650's on eBay they would tell you it was an SV650 engine....

when you said Aber was a 1 hr radius I thought you might be by me, then quickly realised you were further south when I saw where else was in your radius.