The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

When you get to skaw, go to the end of the road, that's the most northerly house in Britain, owned by a fella called Bertie, his twin brother owns the garage on Unst, which you will pass on the way, you will also pass my old house 14 Nordabrake, right by the old RAF Saxa Vord domestic site, it's conservatory will be facing you.

Skaw was once RAF Skaw, there are the remains of some of the buildings, mostly inhabited by sheep.

Say hello to Unst for me, Shetland is a lovely place.

On 3/9/2023 at 7:26 PM, tom13 said:

Anyone got a Himalayan or have any experience of them? Look a nice little bike for the money and I'm considering one in the next few weeks maybe? 2019 one with 2k on it local to me for £3700.

Also anyone have any experience of thin palmed gloves for road use with good abrasion resistance? I hate the bulky nature of proper road gloves but I would like something with a decent bit of palm protection.

I've a Himalayan, bought it new in 2019. Primary reason to buy it is I live where there are loads of unpaved roads, and at a fiver under £4000, absolute no brainer.

Done 32,000 kms (20,000 miles) now with nothing more than oil changes and one tappet adjustment. Can do a (mess free) oil and filter change in ten minutes. Valve adjustment check takes 30 minutes at most. 

The seat isn't that comfortable, but a slab of 20mm gel and a sheepskin cover makes it ten times better (or 10 Times less worse). As I ride lots of gravel roads I fitted Continental KTC 80 tyres, as the wider tread give more confidence on these roads, and are passable on tarmac. The standard Pirelli MT60's are good on asphalt, and OK on gravel.

Finish is still excellent, but then it doesn't see salt strewn rads, or much rain. Paint showing no UV damage from the sunshine here, as it is parked outside.

Mine will happily cruise at 110 kph, 80 to 90 mpg is average. Parts are cheap, and their dealers (at least here) are very good.

As for gloves, take a look at the upper priced, professional cycling gloves. Some really good ones out there.

12 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I've a Himalayan, bought it new in 2019. Primary reason to buy it is I live where there are loads of unpaved roads, and at a fiver under £4000, absolute no brainer.

Done 32,000 kms (20,000 miles) now with nothing more than oil changes and one tappet adjustment. Can do a (mess free) oil and filter change in ten minutes. Valve adjustment check takes 30 minutes at most. 

The seat isn't that comfortable, but a slab of 20mm gel and a sheepskin cover makes it ten times better (or 10 Times less worse). As I ride lots of gravel roads I fitted Continental KTC 80 tyres, as the wider tread give more confidence on these roads, and are passable on tarmac. The standard Pirelli MT60's are good on asphalt, and OK on gravel.

Finish is still excellent, but then it doesn't see salt strewn rads, or much rain. Paint showing no UV damage from the sunshine here, as it is parked outside.

Mine will happily cruise at 110 kph, 80 to 90 mpg is average. Parts are cheap, and their dealers (at least here) are very good.

As for gloves, take a look at the upper priced, professional cycling gloves. Some really good ones out there.

Clocked some good milage good to hear. Saw one with 4k on it and the finish was still really good so pleasing to know 20k is still holding up well.

Don't want cycling as I want a bit of abrasion resistance on the palm. 

Sold the grom last night to a lovely 17 yr old lad that passed his cbt about 2 days ago .

The last fiver came from coins in his wallet 😂 so I told him to keep them and use it for his first tank of fuel . 

Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling seeing a young lad start his motorcycle journey in life . 

does anyone here have a recommendation for someone who could take a look at my 1971 bantam? nearer to the bedford or hitchin areas the better... it has a nasty habit of nipping up when on a run, and the battery isn't charging. im hoping to do the MCC Lands end trial on it on good friday, but im rapidly running out of time! 

old 2 strokes are still a bit of a mystery to me.

cheers :-)

26 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Are you using the correct fuel to oil ratio?

Should be 25:1. (For each litre of petrol put in 40ml of oil.)

But with modern oils 33:1 is OK (for each litre of fuel add 30ml of oil.)

yeah, currently 25:1, but there doesn't seem to be any smoke at all from the exhaust, which i would expect (could be wrong though). im wondering if the fuel/air mix is off 🤔

I picked up an Virago 250 last week as a bit of a project, been trying to get it running the last few nights as its been stood years. But i have hit a snag.

It'll now fire up on the choke, but dies straight away. Any throttle kills it and it wont start at all without full choke. Is it likely a blocked jet in the carb? I have taken the carb off and cleaned it, but may not have been thorough enough. IMG_20230314_130537_777.thumb.jpg.970ad57ee364f03facf64580ee35d954.jpg

11 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Have you checked the plug to see what it looks like. That should answer the mixture question.

going to pull the carb and the plug tonight. probably the head to check theres no damage following the nip up too. this bike is a bit of an unknown to me tbh, so the more i can find out early on, the better really. i just wish i had more time!

31 minutes ago, AlsoMike said:

I picked up an Virago 250 last week as a bit of a project, been trying to get it running the last few nights as its been stood years. But i have hit a snag.

It'll now fire up on the choke, but dies straight away. Any throttle kills it and it wont start at all without full choke. Is it likely a blocked jet in the carb? I have taken the carb off and cleaned it, but may not have been thorough enough. IMG_20230314_130537_777.thumb.jpg.970ad57ee364f03facf64580ee35d954.jpg

Anywhere near you do ultrasonic cleaning? A clean in that will clean everything perfectly. Well worth the money getting them done.

20 hours ago, AlsoMike said:

It'll now fire up on the choke, but dies straight away. Any throttle kills it and it wont start at all without full choke. Is it likely a blocked jet in the carb? I have taken the carb off and cleaned it, but may not have been thorough enough. 

Is the inlet manifold perished or cracked and drawing in air?

indicator lens has decided to come loose at one end

clips in then press fit at other end which is secured with screw

the ickle tab on the lens where it fits into body of indicator seems ok

new complete assembly from honda 61 quid!!!!!

the lens on its own 20 + change

second hand one off ebay complete still with the connector on the wires 27

from usa 61 bucks but the lens is less than 4 dollars (the fuck?)

only fits these and rebel 500s (what happened to sharing parts like they did 20 years ago)

might buy the chinese ones off ebay at 11 quid for a pair

hmm

On 20/03/2023 at 16:06, groovylee said:

going to pull the carb and the plug tonight. probably the head to check theres no damage following the nip up too. this bike is a bit of an unknown to me tbh, so the more i can find out early on, the better really. i just wish i had more time!

had the carb off the bantam and pulled it apart. all seems well in there, with the correct bits where they should be.

one problem found - the pilot jet and air screw are in the wrong way around 🙄 that wont be the cure of all my ills, but it certainly wont help!

pulled the head off, slight bit of rubbing where it nipped up, but not bad by any means. 

charging wise - found the earth connection on the reg/rec had come apart, so thats that sorted :-) 

next steps, check the timing, set the points, then put back together and start the tweaking until it is running right, then some test rides.

T-15 days till the trial.....

On 3/22/2023 at 8:32 AM, groovylee said:

had the carb off the bantam and pulled it apart. all seems well in there, with the correct bits where they should be.

one problem found - the pilot jet and air screw are in the wrong way around 🙄 that wont be the cure of all my ills, but it certainly wont help!

pulled the head off, slight bit of rubbing where it nipped up, but not bad by any means. 

charging wise - found the earth connection on the reg/rec had come apart, so thats that sorted :-) 

next steps, check the timing, set the points, then put back together and start the tweaking until it is running right, then some test rides.

T-15 days till the trial.....

I will be on the beggars roost stage. Will have to post on here when you are coming through.