The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Well, I took the Zero out for it's first trip on Sunday and it's absolutely bloody ace. I can't describe how ace it is. It's silent, there's no vibration at all and it's so smooooooth. And the torque, blinkin flip.  This is definitely the future; it's how I imagined transport of the future would be like.  It's also a very different experience to an IC bike. Obvs it's a twist and go and I couldn't help reaching for the clutch occasionally (particularly when almost stopped to prevent a stall) but the silence, the continuous power delivery and most notably the regen braking are completely different. It has excellent J.Juan brakes (the Spanish quality brake company no-one has heard of -look them up) which are hardly needed. It also handles very well (Showa suspension, Pirelli tyres), contrary to most ideas around US built motorbikes!

Of course not everything is perfect - the riding position is a bit too 'sporting' for my liking, but I was tense and it was very cold so the slight leg ache should improve. 1" lower pegs from the SR/S are available for a mere £29 if I need them (or a higher 'comfort' seat, but that's £lots). The cruise control (yes it has cruise control) button is about 2 thumbs distance away and therefore completely useless as you need to loosen your grip on the throttle and the engine braking then knocks about 10 mph off before you can grab it again. No revving at traffic lights!

The elephant in the room - range. Well it was cold  at 6°C, but with the wind chill it felt -2°C (according to Metcheck), and as I know from the e208 range suffers quite significantly with cold so I didn't expect too much but suffice to say I would just have made it to work and back (95 miles) using 'eco' mode, sticking strictly to speed limits and not using the dual carriageways.

PS anyone spare a penny guv? (still haven't received the inheritance that was supposed to pay for it...)

That's a very interesting real world review, thanks, I'm intrigued by these and to be fair it's not that often I go for more than a 100 mile ride. by the time I was in the market for one, I think the range would be improved by far enough for me or electric vehicles would have been superseded by then, but I am thinking about booking a test ride on one of zeros tours if I see one come up.

They had a test of three electric commuter bikes on Fifth Gear Recharged the other day. It looks like the range is the biggest draw back on them as they do not go much further than about 60 miles. OK if your daily commute is 20 miles or so, but a bit of a pain if it is longer. Also not much fun if you want to go for a Sunday ride. One think I did like is that the batteries can be removed and charged in-doors of a 240v socket. That's also quite a good anti-theft device to stop opportunists riding off on your machine.

The bike test is in Episode 8 of Season 2.

Fifth Gear Recharged | Shows | discovery+ (discoveryplus.com)

1 hour ago, Iamgroot said:

That's a very interesting real world review, thanks, I'm intrigued by these and to be fair it's not that often I go for more than a 100 mile ride. by the time I was in the market for one, I think the range would be improved by far enough for me or electric vehicles would have been superseded by then, but I am thinking about booking a test ride on one of zeros tours if I see one come up.

If your purse can stretch a bit further the SRF and SRS have larger batteries in them giving a bit more range. Mine (the SR) has the 14.3 kwh battery, upgraded to 17.3 kWh (for free, special offer), the SRF and SRS start at 17.3 and can be upgraded to 21.  All 3 'SR' bikes can have extra batteries fitted (into the dummy fuel tank) adding a further 3kWh, this will cost about £3000 and you lose the handy storage space. The DSR/X tourer also has the bigger battery, not sure if an extra one can be fitted to this.

I had a look at Energica electric bikes, which have a longer range, at the NEC  but, although I am a confirmed Italophile, the design of them is very fussy, the seat slopes forward, the quality of the plastic work was poor and they cost several thousand pounds more than the Zero. Also they are chain driven (so last century) and you can't fit a centre stand.

Hardly Dangerous's attempt is laughable and not even worth considering.

Or you could look at an Arc- made in the UK, 260 odd miles range and a snip at something ridiculous like £90,000 ++. https://www.arcvehicle.com/

22 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Never disliked the superdream. They were never thought of as cool. Almost bought a dream 250 but the bike wanted to constantly turn left, I guessed at the time a bent frame ( I was about 23) wouldn't say no to one now though. A good buy in my opinion.

Had one years ago because I needed cheap transport at the time. They (obviously) weren't a patch on a 2T/sports 250, but as a commuter they were spot on. Great on fuel, reliable, light enough to whizz in/out of traffic and enough poke to make it easy. A worthy big brother to the CG125 as how I remembered it. 

7 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Had one years ago because I needed cheap transport at the time. They (obviously) weren't a patch on a 2T/sports 250, but as a commuter they were spot on. Great on fuel, reliable, light enough to whizz in/out of traffic and enough poke to make it easy. A worthy big brother to the CG125 as how I remembered it. 

I had a D reg CB350s, which from about 100ft and with squinted eyes and dark glasses looked like a Yamaha powervalve with its red frame and white tank.nevwr went like one mind, but it did all I asked of it for pennies. 

Screenshot_2023-03-01-18-51-37-826-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

On 2/28/2023 at 4:00 PM, martc said:

If your purse can stretch a bit further the SRF and SRS have larger batteries in them giving a bit more range. Mine (the SR) has the 14.3 kwh battery, upgraded to 17.3 kWh (for free, special offer), the SRF and SRS start at 17.3 and can be upgraded to 21.  All 3 'SR' bikes can have extra batteries fitted (into the dummy fuel tank) adding a further 3kWh, this will cost about £3000 and you lose the handy storage space. The DSR/X tourer also has the bigger battery, not sure if an extra one can be fitted to this.

I had a look at Energica electric bikes, which have a longer range, at the NEC  but, although I am a confirmed Italophile, the design of them is very fussy, the seat slopes forward, the quality of the plastic work was poor and they cost several thousand pounds more than the Zero. Also they are chain driven (so last century) and you can't fit a centre stand.

Hardly Dangerous's attempt is laughable and not even worth considering.

Or you could look at an Arc- made in the UK, 260 odd miles range and a snip at something ridiculous like £90,000 ++. https://www.arcvehicle.com/

The local police here have three Zeros now (replacing their 300cc scooters). Spoke to one of the riders on one the other day, and he rates it highly. He didn't know what the range was, as they only patrol locally, so 100kms a day is about the maximum they do, and that's all town work. 

He says all the riders like them, as they are very quick off the mark BUT a couple of times he has nearly run over pedestrians that step out in front of him.

I liked the one I had on loan, but it was not suitable for my 60 mile motorway commute into London. Not ruled one out, seeing as now I no longer commute. My main issue now is the cost, and Zero have the market to themselves. Will Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki have a competitor in that sector soon? Its not looking likely.

in todays biking fun, i decided to change the cracking tyres on the bantam for some nice new MT43s.

all was going well, old ones came off nicely, new ones on ok for the first bead, fit the tubes, put the second side on.... you know where this is going....

pinched tube. dammit! got the brand new spare tube....

yep, pinched that one too. bugger.

awaiting delvery of two new tubes tonight, and will be much more careful when trying to fit this one.  the rear went on ok, but i cant quite get one section of the bead to seat properly. i'll give it a bashing with a mallet to help it along....

oh, and i hate rimlocks.

11 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I liked the one I had on loan, but it was not suitable for my 60 mile motorway commute into London. Not ruled one out, seeing as now I no longer commute. My main issue now is the cost, and Zero have the market to themselves. Will Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Kawasaki have a competitor in that sector soon? Its not looking likely.

I agree Zero do have the edge on the opposition - they have a wide range of models covering most bases apart from scooter and hog. They also have quality on their side and 20 odd years experience of electric bikes only (so no IC legacy to worry about). They also actively pursue police/military orders. But they don't have it all their own way Energica are a competitor, again with no IC baggage, but they only make 'big' bikes and as I mentioned above they are more expensive and, in my opinion, poorer quality. Energica also produce police models.

image.png.6dfacdda5d1869844002ae9bdf46841e.png

Energica SS police bike

But you're right the mainstream seem to be miles behind. Hardly Dangerous's Livewire is not really a serious attempt, BMW have an electric scooter as do Honda and Yamaha (in a joint venture, with exchangable batteries) but I think that's about all you can buy at the moment from 'known' brands. Triumph and Ducati are developing electric bikes but both are apparently hyper sports and I don't think that's what people or the market really want.

So, unless there's lots of secret work going on in Japan, Italy or Germany, the market is wide open for the Chinese to corner it. The Chinese already make tens of thousands of short range, low powered electric scooters, it won't take them long to recognise the demand for bigger bikes in the West. I fear for the traditional manufacturers unless they get their fingers out soon, see japan vs Britain in the 1960's.

As for my commuting - it's about 95 miles round trip at the moment, including about 2/5ths 70mph dual carriageway; if I miss this stretch out and replace it with a b road (which also knocks off about 5 miles) and slow down a bit I'm confident I can do it. But I'll have to get up earlier!

image.png.1ceb5120bd8f9906c8ab4b88736703f3.png

Had a go at the Lexmoto today. Charged the battery but nothing happening, changed fuse than PO said to wiggle the key in the ignition. Some random things work (r/h indicators, all indicators using the hazard switch) and the gear position lights.

The kick-start now works (it previously didn't) but the electric one just works when it feels like it, probably a loose wire somewhere. Anyhow, I'm sure the sodding thing sparked with the plug out, but repeated attempts afterwards (with the side stand up in case there's an inhibitor switch) revealed it only seemed to spark once more. I'm guessing the CDI is kaput, usually favourite with random sparking so might order one as they're cheap enough.

Pulled the plugs out of the Superdream, wasn't much of a struggle. Lobbed some diesel down the holes, then put some power to the bike to see what might work. The dash lights (neutral and another which I can't remember) lit up and the horn works. No sign of lights or indicators, but that could be something simple. Haven't tried to start it yet, but the clutch is free and the front tyre has pumped up. The rear went straight down again, but hopefully it's just the valve core. 

49 minutes ago, tom13 said:

@martc had you seen or looked at these? Ultraviolette Automotive

Ultraviolette-F77-Teaser-1200x900.jpg

I'm not saying anyone buy one as they are a complete unknown but as @straightSixsaid as well, if India are doing any electric BSAs maybe it has the bones of something like this?

Those above would be something like 4g shipped here.

Thanks for the tip off, I've not heard of them, they certainly weren't at the NEC last year. India is certainly advancing in two wheels and perhaps I should have mentioned them above as serious rivals to the established manufacturers. Come on Japan, Italy and Germany -wake up, there's more and more e-bikes appearing, or being announced, but nothing from you! 

I'm sounding a bit of a Zero fanboi but I know they are in partnership with Hero (yes Hero and Zero much lols) to develop more 'economically' priced electric bikes as they can see where the future lies and Hero will benefit from immediate, proven technology.

That Ultraviolette looks like a nice bit of kit and could be a competitor in the big ev bike world but I'm struggling a bit in finding out the conditions the range was tested under - I suspect it's 'urban' which makes it shorter than both the big Zeros or Energicas.

Looking at their website it looks like their launch in Europe is TBA; but if you're in Bangalore you can get one now £3,747 to £5824 - https://www.zigwheels.com/newbikes/Ultraviolette/f77/on-road-price-bangalore#leadform

On 02/03/2023 at 12:11, groovylee said:

in todays biking fun, i decided to change the cracking tyres on the bantam for some nice new MT43s.

all was going well, old ones came off nicely, new ones on ok for the first bead, fit the tubes, put the second side on.... you know where this is going....

pinched tube. dammit! got the brand new spare tube....

yep, pinched that one too. bugger.

awaiting delvery of two new tubes tonight, and will be much more careful when trying to fit this one.  the rear went on ok, but i cant quite get one section of the bead to seat properly. i'll give it a bashing with a mallet to help it along....

oh, and i hate rimlocks.

well, i managed to get both tubes sorted, and the bantam back together. yay!

rode it 14 miles to work this morning. damn thing nipped up on me three times. nursed it in to work. looks like no trial on that tomorrow then :-(

chucked it in the back of a workmates van, drove it home... it fell over and broke the clutch lever.

its now sulking in the garden while i prep the Ranger for the trial instead. open heart surgery planned for the bantam whenever i get a minute. ive got until easter to sort it ready for the next trial anyway.

the fun of old two strokes eh?!

May be an image of outdoors

It's only bleeding turning over! My mate came round and did that, I couldn't remember the format with connecting a jump lead to the starter. Anyhow it seems to turn nicely with compression, we tried a bit of juice down the plug holes but it wasn't catching. New/better plugs and the missing plug cap on the offside might help, will get them pronto and try it again. It wouldn't turn over from the electric start so sort of hoping it's just the solenoid as they're easy and cheap to replace.

Have fallen for the current German wip. Have the the tinted window for the front but it leaned back and snapped off when the last last bike loan merchant had it and bundled it into the back of a van.

F8C33AFB-77C0-4C52-AFEA-6A8A0D5E64D1.thumb.jpeg.c8c1a2ed6a85f25e5ad5979e2568e205.jpeg

Nice to be back on a single. This one pretty comfy too and fits me well. Shall hang onto it for as long as possible mates in no rush to get it back so all good. 

3 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

May be an image of outdoors

It's only bleeding turning over! My mate came round and did that, I couldn't remember the format with connecting a jump lead to the starter. Anyhow it seems to turn nicely with compression, we tried a bit of juice down the plug holes but it wasn't catching. New/better plugs and the missing plug cap on the offside might help, will get them pronto and try it again. It wouldn't turn over from the electric start so sort of hoping it's just the solenoid as they're easy and cheap to replace.

to paraphrase sgt taggart (not that one)

jeezus billy

went to pez station on way from work to get gallon of explosive liquid to put in bike as itd been on reserve for a week

lubed chain and put battery on charge (this bike is a pita for going to work as v short journey)

500 never had a problem

roadtrip next week if the weather behaves and i book the ferry

My son was looking to replace his Honda NC750x because he was finding it increasingly difficult to swing his leg over.  His hip joints are a bit knackered after many years of riding pedal cycles and sometimes falling off them.  Retro styled bikes are so much easier to get aboard as they don't have the 'arse in the air,' pillion seat upstairs styling nonsense.  He has test ridden several retro styled bikes in recent months, including the Royal Enfield Interceptor, Classic and Meteor 350, plus a BSA Goldstar more recently and liked them all but the Goldstar really impressed him with its characterful, punchy single cylinder but remarkably smooth running engine.  He therefore ordered a black and chrome Goldstar a couple of weeks ago from  a nearby dealer and picked it up today, the Honda going as part exchange.

Now he can't stop grinning and absolutely loves the BSA. Whereas the Honda was a modern soul-less, efficient tourer, the BSA contrasts with character, good looks, good price, decent warranty and is actually fun to ride.  I am jealous. I can't even get on my Peugeot moped which I've owned from new (1967).

Photos: Out with the new (Honda) and in with the new retro BSA.

1302971990_Screenshot2023-03-04at16_50_06.png

824775528_Screenshot2023-03-04at16_49_18.png

On 3/3/2023 at 2:46 PM, groovylee said:

well, i managed to get both tubes sorted, and the bantam back together. yay!

rode it 14 miles to work this morning. damn thing nipped up on me three times. nursed it in to work. looks like no trial on that tomorrow then :-(

chucked it in the back of a workmates van, drove it home... it fell over and broke the clutch lever.

its now sulking in the garden while i prep the Ranger for the trial instead. open heart surgery planned for the bantam whenever i get a minute. ive got until easter to sort it ready for the next trial anyway.

the fun of old two strokes eh?!

Ah shite. You’ll get it sorted be more of a pleasure then. 

Everyone bangs on about 'Dry January' and 'Movember' but' Blue Honda March' never gets a look in. Let's take a moment to address that, shall we?

2082923300_HondaCD1751.thumb.jpg.c81590f1946771489739d0edea0669c3.jpg

65523760_HondaCD1752.thumb.jpg.6d832023dd080eb8eed543205b7e25ef.jpg

171020178_HondaCD1753.thumb.jpg.e45c16efab9a6c6a918e98ce1522c3e1.jpg

1716683607_HondaCD1754.thumb.jpg.52220b374beebb509639cfcf6305d8e0.jpg

And moving very, very slowly on...

1728954728_HondaXL1251.thumb.jpg.009eecb67dc759c33af82d6179a00809.jpg

252235152_HondaXL1252.thumb.jpg.ba143f0ad21ccf52e93ddcc151db5430.jpg

306431438_HondaXL1253.thumb.jpg.d638904a902c8a281a81a7e420c6d186.jpg

738349997_HondaXL1254.thumb.jpg.205a89e05b066b097c8720c23d119046.jpg

I missed out on a very cheap (for what they fetch these days) C90, and dismissed a late 1970s (at a guess) TS125, which was either an early 'ER' model or a late one of the previous TS range, I think.

Anyone got a Himalayan or have any experience of them? Look a nice little bike for the money and I'm considering one in the next few weeks maybe? 2019 one with 2k on it local to me for £3700.

Also anyone have any experience of thin palmed gloves for road use with good abrasion resistance? I hate the bulky nature of proper road gloves but I would like something with a decent bit of palm protection.

So I'm now registered keeper of something else (taking me up to 8 V5s when it turns up).

1781761591_IMG-20230217-WA00002.thumb.jpg.4b91f7bae87f6dd10679a27f2bbf14af.jpg

It's the back up bike for the Lands End to Skaw* run.  We failed to insure it for 4 riders but I can insure it for the 2 of us on L plates and the others get riding other bikes with their insurance.

*Top of Shetland as John O Groat's isn't ambitious enough (but we'll call in there on the way back).