The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Quite a special one (to me) this. The very first bike I had a pillion ride on and the reason I fell in love with motorbikes. My sister's boyfriend (at the time) bought it new in March 1981. My dad's company car 'W' reg Alpine is behind . The bike lasted until 1989, the Alpine until March 1991, when both were last heard of on the DVLA. I'd love to find both of them again, but suspect they're long gone.

1375809873_sisterandmotorbike.thumb.jpg.25f288309ef30c444a4368628ddd02b3.jpg

I've got an urge for a Velosolex (so I can get some exercise but have a motor to get me home when I've inadvertently wandered into a cafe and eaten all the cakes).  This is a 1993 Hungarian version, am I silly?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3376193382636964/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A25af2eef-180f-4aec-9054-fe8bb3d420e6

311574404_10222452298602971_456395598252

4 minutes ago, Fat_Pirate said:

I've got an urge for a Velosolex (so I can get some exercise but have a motor to get me home when I've inadvertently wandered into a cafe and eaten all the cakes).  This is a 1993 Hungarian version, am I silly?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3376193382636964/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A25af2eef-180f-4aec-9054-fe8bb3d420e6

311574404_10222452298602971_456395598252

I fancy one of those 😁 let me know how you get on.

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

I can’t shake the want for a CBR600 or similar. Just feels like the kind of bike I need to try. Would need to be ULEZ compliant so thinking of a ~ 2005 CBR600F4. How horrible are they on the motorway/in town? Does it matter? 

It's all relative, I have decided that pretty much any clip on handlebar bike isn't that comfy for me and I'm limited to about an hour at a time. I am 6'3" which probably adds to the level of pressure on the wrists.

Motorway might be a bit better than town as you have the wind lifting you up a bit.

Compared to modern sportsbikes the position isn't as extreme, lots of people find them comfortable.

You'll just have to buy one to find out.

10 minutes ago, straightSix said:

Actually, with regards to doing the DAS, is it possible to have lessons like you would learning to drive a car and book NOD 1 and 2 when you're ready or better to just do an intensive course?

Absolutely, basically do whichever suits you better.

With regards to MOD1, you sign a form to say the bike you are using for taking the test is insured for it, but they don't actually check.... Just saying.., if you have a compatible bike available and get it there without riding it, it's about £10-15 for a MOD1 test and £70? For a MOD2

Bike sure , be Moto and someone else I can't remember can give you insurance to ride your own bike while in radio contact with your instructor or examiner, so if you have a compatible bike for the test classes you want to take, this can be cheaper, if your instructor will let you use your own bike, if you use an instructor rather than just repeatedly taking the tests...

Oh edited to add, congrats on the theory test.

34 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

Absolutely, basically do whichever suits you better.

With regards to MOD1, you sign a form to say the bike you are using for taking the test is insured for it, but they don't actually check.... Just saying.., if you have a compatible bike available and get it there without riding it, it's about £10-15 for a MOD1 test and £70? For a MOD2

Bike sure , be Moto and someone else I can't remember can give you insurance to ride your own bike while in radio contact with your instructor or examiner, so if you have a compatible bike for the test classes you want to take, this can be cheaper, if your instructor will let you use your own bike, if you use an instructor rather than just repeatedly taking the tests...

Amazing thanks for that! Definitely increased the temptation to get a bigger bike 😆

I reckon I would have got better value with hourly lessons rather than an intensive course. 

It was a 5 day course I think with day 1 CBT and day 5 mod 2. 

On day 2 and 3 when we were actually training, I reckon that between the coffee breaks and fag breaks I actually got about 4 hours tuition in a "day" and buying them hourly would have cost less (but taken longer)

2 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

I reckon I would have got better value with hourly lessons rather than an intensive course. 

It was a 5 day course I think with day 1 CBT and day 5 mod 2. 

On day 2 and 3 when we were actually training, I reckon that between the coffee breaks and fag breaks I actually got about 4 hours tuition in a "day" and buying them hourly would have cost less (but taken longer)

Instructor fag breaks are there so you can be supervised practicing your slow speed exercises. 

42 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

ALL instructor insurance policies cover the learner on any bike. I've taught a fair few pupils on their own bikes. My only caveat was that I'd take them to the DSA U Turn road and perform the maneuver myself on their bike to see if it could be done easily.

43 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

ALL instructor insurance policies cover the learner on any bike. I've taught a fair few pupils on their own bikes. My only caveat was that I'd take them to the DSA U Turn road and perform the maneuver myself on their bike to see if it could be done easily.

But they won't ALL tell you that!..

On 2/21/2023 at 6:50 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

I can’t shake the want for a CBR600 or similar. Just feels like the kind of bike I need to try. Would need to be ULEZ compliant so thinking of a ~ 2005 CBR600F4. How horrible are they on the motorway/in town? Does it matter? 

They are superb bikes. Close to the perfect all rounder in my opinion and ultra reliable. I had a year 2000 model for several years and loved it.

Revved it to the red line in every gear all the time and never had any kind of problem with it. 

1 minute ago, Bradders59 said:

They are superb bikes. Close to the perfect all rounder in my opinion and ultra reliable. I had a year 2000 model for several years and loved it.

Revved it to the red line in every gear all the time and never had any kind of problem with it. 

Coincidence or what?

6 minutes ago, warren t claim said:

Yes we will! We'd rather you drop your own bike practicing U Turns than our own!

I'm not saying YOU wouldn't, but if they ALL did, I doubt there would be so many internet threads about how to insure your own bike for training and tests.

Certainly in my experience and that of at least two of my friends, it wasn't offered as an option, that's with different instructors in different areas.

If it was, I wouldn't have bothered my lazy arse to get the quotes, my instructor in fact gave me the number of an insurance guy "who his candidates who want to do it usually use"

3 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

I'm not saying YOU wouldn't, but if they ALL did, I doubt there would be so many internet threads about how to insure your own bike for training and tests.

Certainly in my experience and that of at least two of my friends, it wasn't offered as an option, that's with different instructors in different areas.

If it was, I wouldn't have bothered my lazy arse to get the quotes, my instructor in fact gave me the number of an insurance guy "who his candidates who want to do it usually use"

Oh, the instructor policy is always TPO. You bend it. You mend it.

On 2/15/2023 at 1:30 PM, andyberg said:

Rumour has it that Kawasaki and Yamaha are closing many of their plants due to declining bike sales. 🏍🛵 Apparently, the Baby-Boomers all have motorcycles, and Generation X is only buying a very few, and the next generation, the Millennials, aren’t buying any at all.🕵

A recent study was conducted to find out why.

Here are the reasons why Millennials don't ride motorcycles and why sales are down:

1. Pants won't pull up far enough for them to straddle the seat.

2. Can't get their phone to their ear with a helmet on.

3. Can't use 2 hands to eat while driving.

4. They don't get a trophy and a recognition plaque just for buying one.

5. Don't have enough muscle to hold the bike up when stopped.

6 Might have a bug hit them in the face and then they would need emergency care.

7. Motorcycles don't have air conditioning.

8. They can't afford one because they spent 12 years in college trying to get a degree in Humanities, Social Studies or Gender Studies for which no jobs are available.

9. They are allergic to fresh air.

10. Their pajamas get caught on the exhaust pipes.

11. They might get their hands dirty checking the oil.

12. The handle bars have buttons and levers and cannot be controlled by touch-screen.

13. You have to shift manually and use something called a clutch.

14. It's too hard to take selfies while riding.

15. They don't come with training wheels like their bicycles did.

16. Motorcycles don't have power steering or power brakes.

17. Their nose ring interferes with the visor.

18. They would have to use leg muscle to back up.

19. When they stop, a light breeze might blow exhaust in their face.

20 It could rain on them and expose them to non-soft water.

21. It might scare their therapy dog, and then the dog would need therapy.

22. Their man bun wont fit under a helmet.😁

This also seems to apply to bicycles. When I was a kid in the 70's we all had bikes and roamed about everywhere on them with our mates or even just hanging about we had our bikes. You never seem to see a bunch of kids on a mixed bag of bikes just hairing around for fun now.

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of text that says "Analysis Liovationoain 001ι Max Elevation 144 ft Speed 40.0 35.0 30.0 25.0 20.0 15.0 mi/h mi 0.5 1.0 1.5 2.0 2.5 Avg Speed 23.5 mi/h Max Speed 36.7 mi/h Moving Time 7:59 Elapsed Time 9:23"

New carb seems to have (mostly) done the trick.  Was hoping for the dizzy heights of the speedo indicated 39mph, but the A41 is only 204 miles long.