The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 1/17/2023 at 11:57 AM, brandersnatch said:

I haven’t done the Dragon since around 1988. I did a few before that. I loved a winter rally.  Wrap up warm and enjoy yourself. 

BF2E8C15-E3B4-4283-BC10-20215A221F4E.jpeg

I somehow suspect that with the improvement of riding kit and camping gear today as versus the 80's, you wouldn't freeze to near death riding and kipping in a tent there now.

5 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I somehow suspect that with the improvement of riding kit and camping gear today as versus the 80's, you wouldn't freeze to near death riding and kipping in a tent there now.

That’s so true. Plus I was much harder (more stupid) in my 20’s. Leather jacket, unlined waterproofs and a 36 ounce sleeping bag from Millets. I must have been mad. Good times!
I  still go to rallies nowadays but not in the winter. 

8 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Good gears expensive though hey. I’ve been fine on the road with the many layers approach and cheap coverall waterproof. Tents been fab sealed should be fine. Maybe. 

I was lucky in that my employers supplied all my riding kit, but the stuff I was issued in 2000 (Rukka) was inferior to that I was issued with in 2010 (Rukka again), which was far inferior to what I was issued with in 2017 (Hideout). 

I still bought some of my own stuff for when not riding the work bikes. Best thing ever has been my Exo heated waistcoat. Warm even without it being plugged in, an able to wear that and a t-shirt under my jacket through the winter.

I was disappointed in the Rukka suit I spent big money on. Nowhere near as good as it should have been. I replaced it with a Dane suit , bought from Hideout funnily enough. (I couldn’t afford the Hideout kit.) The Dane kit is the best I’ve ever had. Warm and dry all day. 
I stopped using heated clothing when I started my long commute from Ipswich to London. Sounds daft but there was method to my madness. I figured that if the heated stuff broke I wouldn’t be wearing enough clothes and I’d be in trouble. Decent layering up saw me through. 

Can we talk helmets for a moment.

Looking at an Arai Rebel. Arai have always fitted me the best but the test shoes green all over the top of the head and black on the sides. I know black is poor so how can a helmet this expensive be so poor on the sides. Also how poor is poor on their rating?

Alternatively I was also looking at a HJC IS17. This is way cheaper and green all over. I would have got that but I didn't fancy Lorenzo or bright yellow which were my only options. 

I just bought an LS2 firefly, to replace my LS2 metro. Reduced at M+P from £169.95 to 35 quid... pinlock,  inner tinted visor, and ACE gold rated.  Glows in the dark too 🙃

That'll do.

Noticed as well it has red tabs on the sides in the lining- checked the website and its emergency tabs to take the lining out for the emergency services.. never seen that before.

8 hours ago, hairnet said:

arai

debut

the sharp thing is bolox - does it fit properly can you see out of it does it look ok

get it bought - all lids are type approved so looking at that just makes you go wtf

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/arai-rebel/

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/arai-rx-7v/

Not sure why you wouldn't look for a helmet with 5 stars. 

Mind you even with a 5 star rating you don't get green on the side impact with any helmet made by arai 

They did have one. Says discontinued 

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/arai-gp5x/

Back in work after a weekend marshalling feel a bit beat up though loved every minute. This year the world champ was in attendance and as expected bossed the event.

This here is the prolog. It’s worth checking out the main event vids too if you have an interest and a little time on your hands. 

Went out on the sprint today. First warm(ish) and sunny day for ages. Only meant to have a short run to test my new boots and Kevlar jeans, ended up doing over 60 miles. It's a lovely bike, in many ways superior to the VFR 750 I had a few years back. The induction noise when you give it a bit of revs is very addictive. Here it is parked by my son's finest Chinese scooter, I went to his work to book the MG in ☹️

IMG_20230130_114154.jpg

4 hours ago, Rustybullethole said:

Back in work after a weekend marshalling feel a bit beat up though loved every minute. This year the world champ was in attendance and as expected bossed the event.

This here is the prolog. It’s worth checking out the main event vids too if you have an interest and a little time on your hands. 

I wanted to go but had other plans. Was it a good day? Crowds looks large which is good.

Would love a go round that track to see how far I could make it. Watching Bill up a couple of those climbs, crawling up, really puts it into perspective how hard it is.

In a continuing theme, the 'front electricity' (headlight) packed up at 5.30am today on the FS1.  Probably due to the fact I'd try to adjust the headlight from aeroplane spotting mode and it must have pulled a wire out, or something.  It pulled beautifully (or as well as 49cc can) and seems to like the cold air, so went out again later and had a right blast.

SS50 (no.2) key replacement came Saturday, fits like a glove but pretty useless at the moment as it's nowhere near running yet.  Meanwhile, pulled the front wheel off ready for it to be stripped (how the bleeding hell do you get the spokes off?) as the new rims and spokes have been here for a while. Hub can hopefully be vapour blasted or polished before hand as can't see point of taking it to wheel builders when the centre looks crap.  The front tyre is absolutely shagged, is that the date code in the 2nd photo?

730291320_ss502frontwheelbeingstrippedw.thumb.jpg.c75ec961a56e35fa5dfea9374f6a102f.jpg

476023377_ss502tyre.thumb.jpg.09a10dd4f870cf7f684bbced1f23805b.jpg

5 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

If you aren't using the spokes you could cut them with a grinder and pull them out through the hub?..

And I don't think that can be the dot code week 0 of 1976?

Cheers, chief. Spokes won't matter, but hoping rims might save with a blast or re-chrome as I think they're the originals.

Bike ready to take to work in the morning. The ride yesterday has given me an itch to ride it more. Need the panniers and topbox to store the bike gear in when I get there. It's just too much hassle to get it all through security. I'm sure the neighbours are going to appreciate* me leaving at 3.30am.

IMG_20230131_151525.jpg

On 1/30/2023 at 2:07 PM, tom13 said:

I wanted to go but had other plans. Was it a good day? Crowds looks large which is good.

Would love a go round that track to see how far I could make it. Watching Bill up a couple of those climbs, crawling up, really puts it into perspective how hard it is.

Cracking day. The most spectators of either dawn or the valleys and I’ve only missed a few in all the years they have been running.

I feel the spectators make a big difference the atmosphere is great. Couldn’t afford the days off work (self employed) so went up on the Friday and back Sunday. Missed the track set up this time though must say it was one of the best I’ve seen on that land. Was mostly grafting to keep the event running smoothly though did get to ride the course too. 
Drop me a message, might be able to get you on the marshal team if you’re interested. 
Watching Billy boy was an education. The man’s got massive gonads and serious skill. 
Typed this three times now and tried to add another vid too will see if it works…..

2 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Just use bolt cutters.

Spinning death wheel might be quicker with a slitting disc on. Had the most luck boiling them up in a pan hold spokes with grips whilst twiddling the nipple ooer. Works better than direct heat though only worth the fuckabout if you’re saving the spokes. 
Oh and if they rusty- paint them. If they’re loose -bend them.  Has got me through mots and scrutineering anyway. 

3 hours ago, hairnet said:

Yes.

Was a special order one off ceiling hatch. It made it in one peice. This is largely due to the amount of clutch abuse this NC seems to require to stand it on its tail. That and the fact the clutch bites fair far out (man) and I don’t want to add it to the F/R pads and fork seals I’m going to have to Chuck at it before I give it back to my mate.

Have really grown to love the thing has been pretty spot on for my current commute to the west end. I have also realised I can’t afford one so am now trying to convince myself it’s shit haha. 

I’ve got some of these boots and find them soooo horrible. They’re so stiff I actually struggle to change gear in them, and they feel horrible manoeuvring the bike around to park etc. 

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/276099

What’s the deal? Do boots break in after ages? Are these just horrible?  Is there such a thing as a light, flexible, warm waterproof boot? What do other people do? 

Got this today, I don't think it will ever be mechanically powered again. It was advertised as a bicycle (along with an old butcher's bike) somewhere near @Minimad5's gaff. It looks (from internet research) like a Raleigh RM6, and it actually pedals along so I might get a new tube/tyre for the back and ride it round for the LOLS.

raleighrm.thumb.jpg.5d44162c7784d9404e2bb285624d1551.jpg

raleighrm2.thumb.jpg.6e82b8eb254375a4ebf71869230b33a1.jpg

19 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Got this today, I don't think it will ever be mechanically powered again. It was advertised as a bicycle (along with an old butcher's bike) somewhere near @Minimad5's gaff. It looks (from internet research) like a Raleigh RM6, and it actually pedals along so I might get a new tube/tyre for the back and ride it round for the LOLS.

raleighrm.thumb.jpg.5d44162c7784d9404e2bb285624d1551.jpg

raleighrm2.thumb.jpg.6e82b8eb254375a4ebf71869230b33a1.jpg

Don’t think it was originally an rm6 as it has front suspension and a drum brake. It was either an rm8 or rm9 depending on the engine fitted. Rm8 was single speed, rm9 was variated 2 speed. The frame number should be stamped on the left hand rear wheel lug and the first digit is the model number. Should be relatively easy to get a dating certificate and the bits needed to get it back on the road . It must be hard work pedalling it along as the gearing is pretty low.