The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Handlebar muffs. Game changer. Had these for years though for reasons unknown have never fitted them. They’re cheap and nasty and may get improved with gaffer tape but I fucking love them. Heated grips and summer gloves will be the one they’re too much with winters and I hate bulky gloves.

80F031CB-4160-4398-AA51-105EB5112C54.thumb.jpeg.0904bc8654387c71a919ad1688352065.jpeg

14D315E5-A092-4DB2-A6F6-18B1C2279E24.thumb.jpeg.de6f1a071962acc2522e416a00f2b23e.jpeg

Call me a deliveroo wanker all you like I’ll be happy double fisting my muffs . 

28 minutes ago, Rustybullethole said:

Handlebar muffs. Game changer. Had these for years though for reasons unknown have never fitted them. They’re cheap and nasty and may get improved with gaffer tape but I fucking love them. Heated grips and summer gloves will be the one they’re too much with winters and I hate bulky gloves.

80F031CB-4160-4398-AA51-105EB5112C54.thumb.jpeg.0904bc8654387c71a919ad1688352065.jpeg

14D315E5-A092-4DB2-A6F6-18B1C2279E24.thumb.jpeg.de6f1a071962acc2522e416a00f2b23e.jpeg

Call me a deliveroo wanker all you like I’ll be happy double fisting my muffs . 

Got some for my son to use on his bike. He bloody loves them, says they are so much better than just  gloves, he suffers from cold hands anyway.

We made it to the CBT today, a bit late as the directions on the website sent us to the main base while the instructor was waiting for us in a container at the cattle market carpark a mile away.

The delay wasn't much of an issue as the carpark was an ice rink, it got better later though and we were soon enough riding the CB125s around fairly competently.  Sadly not quickly enough to get the road riding done before dark/rush hour so we're going back on the 1st which is helpfully the day my insurance starts.

IMG_20230120_101526789_HDR.thumb.jpg.22d6d5e8dd9ace4eb39e6c26d8ae4a4c.jpg

Terrible photo from a terrible camera.

The Supershite is coming along nicely, engine isn't entirely oiltight but has improved.  I'm going to try loctite thread seal as I have a bottle and can't see a reason I'd need to remove the bolts it's leaking from. 

Exhaust is now off, biggest hole is welded up but smaller ones have appeared so need another few hours fettling.  As I've finally got the pipes off I could refit the footboards, gearshift and rear brake (they were in the way of fixing it in situ).  So a bit of noisy riding around the yard happened.

We were all going to raise money for Help the Hero's but are now doing a charity each.  I'm leaning towards the local Hedgehog Sanctuary.  

Just used muffs for my last couple of trail rides . As said above - what a game changer . I suffer with raynauds and always have cold fingers when riding . These and neoprene enduro globes are a winning combo . 
I thought they would get in the way in technical riding but they don’t at all . 

48495670-D7F0-4FE9-AEEB-0C2427DF546D.jpeg

Thanks for everyone's advice on the helmet! Just picked one up from sports bike shop and have nothing but good things to say about the service. Tried on loads and obviously got upsold but happy with what I've got! And if anyone else is like me and has an oddly square head, this helmet seems to best fit 😂

Also got gloves and Kevlar jeans so just need to find myself a second hand jacket and I should be good to go

IMG_20230121_121930407.jpg

Bit disappointed to discover my Interceptor has been quietly corroding in the garage; admittedly it was mucky when I put it away in October (mostly squished insects from the summer), but it shares the space with a couple of 20 year-old Hondas and a 17 year-old KTM, none of which show any degradation. 

E2.jpg.4885ed4507ca078bc2b6e0856aaac60d.jpg

E1.thumb.jpg.9e6764ea1e49c76449555f2a6b03404c.jpg

Metal polish cleaned up the exhaust, but the engine will need more elbow grease.  Have ACF50'd it and put a cover over it for now.

22 minutes ago, Fat_Pirate said:

Bit disappointed to discover my Interceptor has been quietly corroding in the garage; admittedly it was mucky when I put it away in October (mostly squished insects from the summer), but it shares the space with a couple of 20 year-old Hondas and a 17 year-old KTM, none of which show any degradation. 

E2.jpg.4885ed4507ca078bc2b6e0856aaac60d.jpg

E1.thumb.jpg.9e6764ea1e49c76449555f2a6b03404c.jpg

Metal polish cleaned up the exhaust, but the engine will need more elbow grease.  Have ACF50'd it and put a cover over it for now.

Eeek. I like those too, and considered one. My Triumph lives outside under a cover and has no signs of this at all at 11 years old. Is it pitted or just tarnish? Is your garage damp?

Took the Sprint out today. Not ridden it since November. I had forgotten how good it is, comfy, fast and sounds great. The roads were damp, and I have never been confident in the wet but the Michelin road pilots are bloody brilliant. Never felt unstable at all. Got home however and noticed all the crap from the roads on the bike, good hose down and liberal spray with ACF50 before putting it away. Hopefully I'll get to ride it to work next week.

IMG_20230121_153647.jpg

1 hour ago, andyberg said:

Took the Sprint out today. Not ridden it since November. I had forgotten how good it is, comfy, fast and sounds great. The roads were damp, and I have never been confident in the wet but the Michelin road pilots are bloody brilliant. Never felt unstable at all. Got home however and noticed all the crap from the roads on the bike, good hose down and liberal spray with ACF50 before putting it away. Hopefully I'll get to ride it to work next week.

IMG_20230121_153647.jpg

Are you a Front End Chatter listener..?

3 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Eeek. I like those too, and considered one. My Triumph lives outside under a cover and has no signs of this at all at 11 years old. Is it pitted or just tarnish? Is your garage damp?

Didn't think the garage was damp, there's no other evidence of it.  I think it can be polished up again (maybe with a mop).  It remains my favourite bike and I recommend them, but clearly the finish needs more attention than I've been giving it.

9 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

Are you a Front End Chatter listener..?

?? What's that then? No I always felt that the front of the bike would slip in the wet. The tyres I have had in the past never made me feel like I had a lot of grip, I always felt as if I was going to come off. I had the bike MOTd in November and had the pilot fitted then. It was pissing down on the back and even with the new tyre I can't explain the confidence it gave me. I have never been a fast rider, never hang off the bike, more Mick Grant style😂 but as soon as the rear needs replacing then it's a pilot for there too. Well worth the money in my opinion.

4 hours ago, andyberg said:

?? What's that then? No I always felt that the front of the bike would slip in the wet. The tyres I have had in the past never made me feel like I had a lot of grip, I always felt as if I was going to come off. I had the bike MOTd in November and had the pilot fitted then. It was pissing down on the back and even with the new tyre I can't explain the confidence it gave me. I have never been a fast rider, never hang off the bike, more Mick Grant style😂 but as soon as the rear needs replacing then it's a pilot for there too. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Front End Chatter is a podcast about motorbikes, just noticed your number plate.. people that listen are feccers..

If you like bikes, it's worth a listen!

On 1/21/2023 at 7:29 AM, twosmoke300 said:

Just used muffs for my last couple of trail rides . As said above - what a game changer . I suffer with raynauds and always have cold fingers when riding . These and neoprene enduro globes are a winning combo . 
I thought they would get in the way in technical riding but they don’t at all . 

48495670-D7F0-4FE9-AEEB-0C2427DF546D.jpeg

Sit nicely around a set of bark busters too which cut the wind chill on their own. NC doesn’t have them so I’ll be adding structural gaffer tape around the stitching hobo courier style. 

51 minutes ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

Fine looking Suzuki TS 185 coming up for auction this week.

January Classic: 27 Jan 2023 - 1973 Suzuki TS 185 K Sierra (barons-auctions.com)

SUZUKI-TS-185-K-SIERRA.jpg

That is nice. These ride so well and are a great all rounder. Nice seating position, light, quick enough to do most types of riding, reliable.

There is a TS185 with a Motocross package on it on eBay at the moment. It looks a fun little thing but at 3g its too expensive.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:44 PM, hairnet said:

next local is staffs - chester is too far as is blackpool

Says the man who goes on his moped to Southern Ireland! Don't know if you went there at any point, but Smith's now moving everything up their 'new' Honda place on Whitchurch Road. They've lost Triumph (I'm sure someone said Yamaha are pulling out to, but that could be wrong) but have R.E and I believe BSA.

Yesterday (stupid o'clock in the morning) all the lights on the Lambretta decided not to work, so used the e-moped instead. My mate fixed the Li, a wire had come off the regulator, or whatever it's called. Used it today and have to say it's still as fun to ride as it ever was. 

Tomorrow the Harley is going for a spin, assuming it's not icy.