The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

2 hours ago, MiniMinorMk3 said:

It didn't take long! Smiley face wink.

That is very much out of date and most of the Cypher features are now incorporated  as part of the purchase price. The idea was that it allowed you to buy a base model and then add the electronic options once you've got over the hefty initial price. I don't agree with it but it's the modern way of working I'm afraid. And Zero aren't the first company to charge  for software upgrades of features already built in. 

KTM have been doing it for years and no-one seems to be getting their knickers in a twist over them, eg -

image.png.3c447b9e5f3ac57ac90a3e4e772d1cfb.png

And somewhere in this very forum there was some discussion about BMW doing the same. And of course BMW are faultless..... just remembered another BMW fact - you have to pay monthly for the software upgrades otherwise it's removed  remotely and you go back to misery spec. But no-ones seems to get all frothy about that... At least with Zero and KTM you only buy them once.

52 minutes ago, martc said:

And somewhere in this very forum there was some discussion about BMW doing the same. And of course BMW are faultless.....

I've read about the BMW stuff and think it is just daft to fit a car with all the stuff, but then charge the buyer to have the software upgraded to get the heated seats to work, or have memory mirrors, or boil the kettle before you get home.

I was looking for a test video, I think one H Cole had one on an episode of the Motorbike Show, but that other Dutch video turned up. It's done in a kind of luddite way and very much against the new tech of electric vehicles, which misses the point of the marketing by Zero.

If I was still into buying bikes, and had the opportunity, I'd have probably gone and purchased Monster SP.

3 hours ago, martc said:

Right, brace yourselves, I want to get this over as quickly as possible.

I have come into some money and like all reasonable people I have invested it into my pension bought a new, expensive and controversial motorbike.

The Guzzi is in part exchange for a Zero SR - yes an expensive, American, electric motorbike.

I won't be getting it until next month and won't be riding it until March or may be April; so can everyone  get whatever they want off their chests before then please.

image.thumb.png.f5cb9f5d33dee11add12408f5d9c8a34.png

I had one on loan in 2019 (DSR?). It was bloody quick on overtakes and easily faster off of the line than any of my big V-twins (including a Guzzi V1200).

But for me, it was not a viable proposition, as the 60 mile motorway commute into work saw the range plummet to around 10 miles left when I got into the office. Ridden in stop start traffic where regeneration kicks in, it would be great. Plus my employers didn't like me plugging it in at work  and thus paying for my commute!

Hope you enjoy it. My local cops like theirs.20221222_141514.thumb.jpg.32964dc62b3466e744e03bef33460d31.jpg

20221222_141558.thumb.jpg.78b64919626cdb6e40d11a902dd8688e.jpg

14 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I had one on loan in 2019 (DSR?). It was bloody quick on overtakes and easily faster off of the line than any of my big V-twins (including a Guzzi V1200).

But for me, it was not a viable proposition, as the 60 mile motorway commute into work saw the range plummet to around 10 miles left when I got into the office. Ridden in stop start traffic where regeneration kicks in, it would be great. Plus my employers didn't like me plugging it in at work  and thus paying for my commute!

Hope you enjoy it. My local cops like theirs.

Thanks, I hope I enjoy it as well... range anxiety has already kicked in...

My commute is 45 miles each way but not at motorway speeds - mainly 50-60 mph with some urban sprawl. The Zero staff at the NEC and the salesmen are absolutely certain it will do this easily but the proof of the pudding etc etc.

I've paid extra for the upgrade to 17.3 kWh battery capacity which, according to Zero, will give a 'combined' range of 120 miles, I'm not a fast rider, happy to keep at the speed limits, and will, at least at the start, be running it in eco mode. I had similar anxieties with the electric car but after a year I'm pretty relaxed about it's range. It'll just be a case of getting used to it and knowing how to use the performance.

The SR has a smaller battery than the SR/F, SR/S or DS but also a less powerful motor (75 bhp vs 105 bhp (I think)) which not only makes it cheaper but the lower power engine should help with the range.

An extra power pack, adding 3 or 4 more kWh, can be added as an extra, although you lose the storage space in the 'tank'. I could resort to if I need (ie if I have to do 30mph to cover the 90 miles!).  But the kind people at English Electric Motorbikes are convinced I won't need it rather than spend more money with them!

1 hour ago, martc said:

But the kind people at English Electric Motorbikes are convinced I won't need it rather than spend more money with them!

Alex is a great bloke, and his enthusiasm and knowledge of the Electric motorbike industry is second to none. And he is realistic in what the bikes will actually do in the real world, and not simply quote manafacturers figures.

I really would be interested at what it is like to live with day to day.

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Alex is a great bloke, and his enthusiasm and knowledge of the Electric motorbike industry is second to none. And he is realistic in what the bikes will actually do in the real world, and not simply quote manafacturers figures.

I really would be interested at what it is like to live with day to day.

Alex is the chap I'm dealing with! Top bloke.

I'm sure they'll be some updates once I get the hang of it.

On 1/10/2023 at 1:01 PM, martc said:

Right, brace yourselves, I want to get this over as quickly as possible.

I have come into some money and like all reasonable people I have invested it into my pension bought a new, expensive and controversial motorbike.

The Guzzi is in part exchange for a Zero SR - yes an expensive, American, electric motorbike.

I won't be getting it until next month and won't be riding it until March or may be April; so can everyone  get whatever they want off their chests before then please.

image.thumb.png.f5cb9f5d33dee11add12408f5d9c8a34.png

That looks ace, fuck the haters. Look forward to reading how you get on with it.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:22 PM, martc said:

Thanks, I hope I enjoy it as well... range anxiety has already kicked in...

My commute is 45 miles each way but not at motorway speeds - mainly 50-60 mph with some urban sprawl. The Zero staff at the NEC and the salesmen are absolutely certain it will do this easily but the proof of the pudding etc etc.

I've paid extra for the upgrade to 17.3 kWh battery capacity which, according to Zero, will give a 'combined' range of 120 miles, I'm not a fast rider, happy to keep at the speed limits, and will, at least at the start, be running it in eco mode. I had similar anxieties with the electric car but after a year I'm pretty relaxed about it's range. It'll just be a case of getting used to it and knowing how to use the performance.

The SR has a smaller battery than the SR/F, SR/S or DS but also a less powerful motor (75 bhp vs 105 bhp (I think)) which not only makes it cheaper but the lower power engine should help with the range.

An extra power pack, adding 3 or 4 more kWh, can be added as an extra, although you lose the storage space in the 'tank'. I could resort to if I need (ie if I have to do 30mph to cover the 90 miles!).  But the kind people at English Electric Motorbikes are convinced I won't need it rather than spend more money with them!

I misfuelled my Honda today-put diesel in it. First time I have done that in over 50 years of riding. Massive inconvenience too.

Maybe it's God's way of telling me to go electric?

Only just discovered this thread. Anyway, I've done my CBT and got myself a 125 to ride around a bit and am starting to look at getting all the safety gear. How the hell are you supposed to work out what's good or not? Most reviews for helmets say things like "good value" or "looks nice" but I want to know it's going to protect my head should the worst happen. Going to get to a shop to try helmets on obviously but looking at an AGV K6, are these any good? What about gloves and jackets? Budgeting about £50 for gloves and probably a second hand jacket. Are the Kevlar jeans any good or should I get leathers? Bit overwhelmed with the choices so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

16 hours ago, straightSix said:

Only just discovered this thread. Anyway, I've done my CBT and got myself a 125 to ride around a bit and am starting to look at getting all the safety gear. How the hell are you supposed to work out what's good or not? Most reviews for helmets say things like "good value" or "looks nice" but I want to know it's going to protect my head should the worst happen. Going to get to a shop to try helmets on obviously but looking at an AGV K6, are these any good? What about gloves and jackets? Budgeting about £50 for gloves and probably a second hand jacket. Are the Kevlar jeans any good or should I get leathers? Bit overwhelmed with the choices so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Helmets are all designed to meet a certain criteria so any of them are safe to use and should perform well in a crash. The more you spend the safer they get though they also get more features like better ventilation, weight reduction, better visors etc. 

Get one from one of the big brands and you will be fine. I had a k series agv and it was really good. When I got my arai though it was honestly way better in terms of fit and comfort. It's all down to what you want to spend.

50 will get you a decent set of gloves. Second hand jacket will be fine, just make sure the armour is still in it, as will Kevlar jeans.

2 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Helmets are all designed to meet a certain criteria so any of them are safe to use and should perform well in a crash. The more you spend the safer they get though they also get more features like better ventilation, weight reduction, better visors etc. 

Get one from one of the big brands and you will be fine. I had a k series agv and it was really good. When I got my arai though it was honestly way better in terms of fit and comfort. It's all down to what you want to spend.

50 will get you a decent set of gloves. Second hand jacket will be fine, just make sure the armour is still in it, as will Kevlar jeans.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/agv-gp-tech/

Or you could get the facts on every helmet sold and make an informed choice. 

You ain't wrong though, the more expensive the helmet, the more likely it is to have 5 stars 

16 hours ago, straightSix said:

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/agv-k6/ 

If it fits it looks good. 

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/get-the-right-fit/

You can get a very safe helmet for not much money, open two tabs and have the sharp 5* list in one and Google the helmets in another and you will be amazed.

The biggest things I have found that you get as you spend more on helmets are weight reduction and noise reduction in my experience.

Whatever helmet you do buy, I would say get one with a visor that accepts a pinlock insert, it changed my world, no more steamy visors with the pinlock fitted.

Also, a lot of manufacturers use two "shell" sizes, a smaller one for smaller size heads and a larger one,  if you are lucky enough to be able to get the smaller shell size it will make your head a smaller target for wind, obviously this depends on your head size and the manufacturer's change over point, my friend took advantage of this by changing manufacturer and says it made a big difference to him, sadly I'm genetically 87% Klingon so I will never get my in a smaller shell size even without the padding 😕

I'd say forget the make and just try on as many as you can and get one that's comfortable, and most importantly, fits properly. Too many people are either brand snobs, or worry about the looks. I do like AGV helmets though,  good quality and they fit me well. I remember years ago, I decided to spend a bit on a helmet and always wanted a Roof Boxer. Bright red to match my BMW... ordered it online and got it a few days later. Stuck it on my head , flipped the front down and it squashed my nose. Gutted. I've got an LS2 now which is about 3 years old and I like it a lot, but its getting to the point it needs replaced so I'll be shopping myself soon. I also really liked a Caberg I had, but it was matt grey.. the bugs really made a mess of that. 

Think about the strap too, if you want D rings or a clip type. 

I use kevlar jeans and just carry waterproof trousers under the seat, have a long and short textile jacket and winter and summer gloves. Try and find a jacket with a zip in liner. Heat in summer can be just as bad as cold in winter. 

If anyone is looking for a Velosolex or an old British lightweight bike then you might want to check out Spicers auction next Saturday.

Spicers | Upcoming Auctions | The Graham Atha Motorcycle Collection, Over 60 Motorcycles, Mopeds And... (spicersauctioneers.com)

spacer.png

spacer.png

There's even one of these up for sale

spacer.png

12 hours ago, Iamgroot said:

sadly I'm genetically 87% Klingon/mekon/tefal so I will never get my in a smaller shell size 😕

have that trouble too - 64 and can only be japanese - all italian and most cheap charile lids have been no go - agv i thought might have been a goer as always wanted rossi rep

even their biggest xxl wouldnt fit - prolly most other mfrs large

*cries into arrabiata and canneloni

38 minutes ago, hairnet said:

have that trouble too - 64 and can only be japanese - all italian and most cheap charile lids have been no go - agv i thought might have been a goer as always wanted rossi rep

even their biggest xxl wouldnt fit - prolly most other mfrs large

*cries into arrabiata and canneloni

MT helmets can be had with a 5* sharp rating for not much money and fit our "prize winning" Swedes, quite light, sadly quite noisy, but good for big heads with big noses and small wallets.