The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

26 minutes ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Thanks for the input all! Given that I need to do a huge stretch of motorway, weather protection and luggage capacity really appeals to me. 

I know of this 2004 K1200GT with 70,000 miles for £1600 or so, but for some reason these don’t appeal as much as a boxer. Plus this era of K seems to get very mixed reviews. 

A4D202A8-BE46-4D4E-95A1-68591BB06BF3.jpeg

They are crap but can't be ignored at that price as a comfy commuter, I know a couple of blokes who've had them and disliked them, also potentially money pits.

I found the oe fairing noisy on full extension on the RT, a small added deflector on top made it silent, on reflection mine replaced a 2020 Z900RS so it was bound to feel every bit of its 20 years of age, it was also pretty vibey and I don't think I'd buy another whatever the reason, they are very cheap now though, watch out for a worn clutch and ideally buy a bike that has had it replaced, its a huge (but not too difficult) job to replace unlike a Pan for example which would take 30 minutes tops, also the servo for the brakes will most likely fail, leaving you with no brakes as they literally offer zero retardation when it goes, and that could be at motorway speeds just when you need them with little warning.

Just now, Barry Cade said:

Clutch is expensive, even if you do it yourself- best to replace everything in there at the same time. I wouldn't entertain a BMW with servo brakes. just no. I'd have a mint R1100RT over an 1150 or a K. 

Problem is that the 1150’s sneak under the ULEZ NOx limit whereas the 1100’s do not. 

That was a fun eve . Rewiring a friends. Suzuki 500 two stroke stator . He had fitted new source and trigger coils but had intermittent starting issues . An eve with the scope showed the signals were fine at the stator but weak at the connection to the cdi .

The wires were soo hard from years of heat built up . 

Heater on in my home garage - comfy seat and a beer or two and all fixed . All using the same colour wires just to annoy subsequent mechanics 😂

7C17C1A5-0EDA-456C-BA9E-394EFD4FE36D.jpeg

F57B9CF7-E402-4961-A05E-E652483482CD.jpeg

Getting a PC32 CB500 soon. I have ridden one fleetingly before.

I know they have a loyal following, always like to hear people stories about them. It's stock, blue with the silver wheels but they may be going gold depending on how I feel about the bike.

Just going to use it for a bit of touring and maybe the odd trackday to get my feet wet, as I have never done one before.

Finally having a go at keeping the original plate on the Honda C200. It seems a tax disc (didn't have one anyhow) along with knowing actual reg. number isn't enough anymore, so have emailed the local council and they've been very helpful. One person has said it's still a gamble with the DVLA as to whether you get to keep the number or get an age-related one, but fingers crossed. 

Have also taken the plunge and ordered a new wheel rim for the SS50, it's going to be a long process getting the whole thing done but hopefully will be worth it. 

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

theres a crazy melonfarmer wanting 1800 on autotrader for one

the next ad is for the modern version for 2100

15 years between them i know which id buy

I know what you mean and I don't know what the modern is like with regards to reliability but if the £1800 one is nice it would make a good reliable commuter with cheap insurance. Is £1800 that mental for a reliable bike you could work on yourself? That NC700X on here looks amazing value.

22 minutes ago, tom13 said:

I know what you mean and I don't know what the modern is like with regards to reliability but if the £1800 one is nice it would make a good reliable commuter with cheap insurance. Is £1800 that mental for a reliable bike you could work on yourself? That NC700X on here looks amazing value.

i wouldnt pay more than a grand for the older one

i put 60k on the modern version in 2.5 years so reliable? no :D

also youd be fecking with carbs and drums so 19th century :D

1 hour ago, hairnet said:

i wouldnt pay more than a grand for the older one

i put 60k on the modern version in 2.5 years so reliable? no :D

also youd be fecking with carbs and drums so 19th century :D

That's fair then.

Just be be pedantic PC32 is dual disc. Early model is drum rear though. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got the copy from the archives of when my Honda was first registered, so will get a dating certificate and send it all off with the other stuff to the DVLA and pray I get to keep the original number.

Also got 3 new spare plugs for the FS1 today, seem to think one of the others has the same type, possibly the RD50. 

On 8/23/2022 at 8:03 PM, Cavcraft said:

The fabulous Bertrand at Dolwolfian Logistics

Dolwolfian Logistics

Ignore his hit/miss English on the web page, he's a proper insured courier and the nicest person you'll ever meet.

Sad news, Bertand has now retired from being a motorcycle collection/delivery guy.  

On 12/22/2022 at 10:49 PM, lexi said:

I wouldn't mind an old Yam or Honda 125cc trail bike.  It is just to use for going up some rough ground to get to hill lochs in Argyll.  I thought they would be easy to pick up....ha ha it seems they are classic price tag now.

Chinese have that 125 market sewn up now unless you want to pay almost the same as a bigger capacity bike.
In fairness most Chinese stuff now is at a similar level to 70's Jap bikes - keep on top of the oily bits, keep them clean and use basic rust protection and for the most part they should be OK.
Consumable bits are still notoriously shit from new, but not expensive to replace with decent items when the time comes.
You only have to look at the used Yamaha YBR market to see how even (Chinese made) Jap small bikes can fester and dissolve when not maintained.

I keep thinking of pulling the trigger on something - Blurock/Bullit or Sinnis scrambler style bikes keep winking at me for £40/month for 3 years.

Seen a couple of Chinese 125's (mostly with Suzuki GN125 clone engines) with 40,000 miles on them. Its all about maintenance. Ride them gently for a couple of miles before thrashing them. Change the oil and filter every couple of thousand miles. And protect from rust.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:18 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

Problem is that the 1150’s sneak under the ULEZ NOx limit whereas the 1100’s do not. 

Yes though you can get that sorted for a few hundred quid. Love my gs 1100, didn’t think I would as only bought it for a euro tour though quickly became a keeper. Chuffers still broken now mine had loads of four wheel stuff taking up my free time so not much action of late. Mine shat the bevel box and now has ants one on it which has made it a lot less buzzy on the autobahn. The extra gear of the 1150 was missing for me before this though is perfect now. 
It’s not been trouble free though hasn’t had the easiest of lives since I’ve had it. Clutch is long not hard if you don’t mind the diy. I’m of the if it looks ok it’s going back in school. 
Its a big bugger and not the best filtering bike because of it though upright and high gives me a cracking veiw which goes a long way. 
Everyone should try one I feel. Really didn’t think it would be for me but do like it lots. 
Few shenanigans in my tat thread I’ll find the link.

Here you go fair bit of it in there. 

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Had the faded one since aug / sept and rebuilt the engine etc over winter . Got the shiny one last week.

These are both 1970 90’s

Nice. I was trying to do a swap for an earlier one I think 1965 a few weeks ago. It had a Chinese 125 fitted though. Come with the original engine, it had trailing forks not like the better ones fitted on the newer ones like yours. 

Right, brace yourselves, I want to get this over as quickly as possible.

I have come into some money and like all reasonable people I have invested it into my pension bought a new, expensive and controversial motorbike.

The Guzzi is in part exchange for a Zero SR - yes an expensive, American, electric motorbike.

I won't be getting it until next month and won't be riding it until March or may be April; so can everyone  get whatever they want off their chests before then please.

image.thumb.png.f5cb9f5d33dee11add12408f5d9c8a34.png

1 hour ago, martc said:

I have come into some money and like all reasonable people I have invested it into my pension bought a new, expensive and controversial motorbike.

Its your money, you do what you want.

The acceleration on these is supposed to be good.

I'd rather buy a Trumpet Scrambler myself, but there you go, the world would be very dull if we all liked the same thing.