The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 6/23/2022 at 11:05 AM, Dave_Q said:

I think I might want a Grom.

Can anyone who's had one tell me why I should/shouldn't do this? Are any of the copies like a Benelli or Yamasaki any good or best to just get the real thing?

I had one up until about two weeks ago. Fantastic fun, even with my fat arse on it. I only got rid as I haven't got space for two bikes and wanted something more practical for longer runs, but I do miss it.

They hold their money well so are expensive for what they are but you tend to get your money back if you sell them on. 

I've got a upgraded rear shock, a fuel controller and some other bits that I removed from mine before I sold it that I really need to get around to sticking on eBay.

6 hours ago, Youngteam said:

I had one up until about two weeks ago. Fantastic fun, even with my fat arse on it. I only got rid as I haven't got space for two bikes and wanted something more practical for longer runs, but I do miss it.

They hold their money well so are expensive for what they are but you tend to get your money back if you sell them on. 

I've got a upgraded rear shock, a fuel controller and some other bits that I removed from mine before I sold it that I really need to get around to sticking on eBay.

Grom parts you say ? 

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Grom parts you say ? 

I'll dig through what I've got but the main bits are:

Kitaco rear shock - less that 200 miles

Kitaco iMap - I was thinking about a 181 big bore kit but never got around to it but this works well even just for an aftermarket exhaust 

Adaptor to fit Brembo caliper to front brake

On 6/2/2022 at 8:16 PM, andyberg said:

Finally got this running smoothly with the expansion chambers. For the purists these are temporary until I get the original pipes rechromed. Just waiting for the DVLA to send me a registration number and I can take her out for a run.

IMG_20220601_173118.jpg

Must be left on if I'm not too late. Looks and sounds wonderful

A potential cheap grom popped up near me, TBF I should have heeded the warnings of the 9,999,999 price, "offers or swaps" and vague failure description but I messaged him just in case.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/739696153843570

Been offered a grand already, apparently but holding out for more. I can't see a reason why the engine cutting out for fuel related reasons would cause the starter not to work so tried to offer much less than this on the basis that it might need a rebuild.

I should just keep on with getting this Chaly on the road as its kinda like a Grom only MOT and tax free and cheaper to insure.

48 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

A potential cheap grom popped up near me, TBF I should have heeded the warnings of the 9,999,999 price, "offers or swaps" and vague failure description but I messaged him just in case.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/739696153843570

Been offered a grand already, apparently but holding out for more. I can't see a reason why the engine cutting out for fuel related reasons would cause the starter not to work so tried to offer much less than this on the basis that it might need a rebuild.

I should just keep on with getting this Chaly on the road as its kinda like a Grom only MOT and tax free and cheaper to insure.

'chain was running but not no more'

Between the advert and the messages I have determined it should have said:

Honda grom 2015

Needs tail tidy, number plate and chain. Was running but not currently. Started bogging and electric start stopped so I suspect the fuel pump needs changing or something.
Someone that knows what they are doing will know whats up.
Offers or swaps got V5C logbook there

Listing the logbook as some sort of rare optional extra is another red flag 

It’s alive ! 
If the weather is favourable the plan is to ride it to work morro and twist the mot stations arm next door to test it then take it out green laning on Sunday with the other half on the VanVan . 
I’ve got new road tyres for it too but fancied trying the knobblies first . 

3167E1ED-DC09-4611-B8B8-2547D354EAA1.jpeg

44D20A6A-BB2C-449D-9686-672148AC11FD.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

PXL_20220624_114101596.thumb.jpg.a422d6ba8a51622568adf94f189c0973.jpg

PXL_20220709_121256790.jpg

Done a few jobs on this now - new rear brakes, battery, ignition & steering locks, spark plug, air filter, oil change, chain clean/lube/adjustment, stripped & cleaned carb. Runs very well now.

I sent a V62 off 2.5 weeks ago, hopefully hear something by the end of July as I've got my CBT on the 23rd. Once all that is sorted I'll order some new tyres and get them fitted then hit the road!

I want a smaller number plate for my grom, any recommendations on what size to go for that is still kinda legal looking?

I've got a 6x4 on my Vespa but it looks OK as it dates from before standardised sizes, don't really want something that will get me hassle.

Plus makers marks etc to consider as its a 14 plate.

16 hours ago, Jazoli said:

Just keep it legal, why give the police any reason to pull you at all? 

There's no such thing as kinda legal and if the plod are having a bad day it might just get you a FPN and a thorough check of your bike and documents, not worth the hassle IMO. 

Also smaller the plate it is less likely to be picked up on anpr should the bike be nicked,  appreciate it may get cloned plates at some point though 

18 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

I want a smaller number plate for my grom, any recommendations on what size to go for that is still kinda legal looking?

I've got a 6x4 on my Vespa but it looks OK as it dates from before standardised sizes, don't really want something that will get me hassle.

It also depends what letters/numbers are in your registration a legally spaced 1 takes up less room than a legally spaced Z, but an overly small plate is one thing that actually draws attention from a grumpy police officer, who will dig deep into their bag for the fine tooth comb to go over the bike with, so it's a trade off against what else you might not want them to see once they've got you stopped at the side of the road IMO.

I've got a completely legal plate, even with an obvious reflector, because I might not want them to have a reason to look elsewhere..

This old rascal is in for its MOT on thursday. Not ridden it in a while and whilst checking it over found both fork seals have popped.

bike.thumb.jpg.6538477a9976208ffafba0a83044f166.jpg

Hottest day of the year...changing fork seals outside. I'd be lying if i said i wasn't in my pants...

stuff.thumb.jpg.cc026d3663ba51843d5106295fbe85fe.jpg

Not a hard job but took 5 times longer with breaks to cool* off inside.

On 7/14/2022 at 10:41 PM, Dave_Q said:

Last week on the way to Elan I was following a group of around 10 bikers. There were all doing the speed limit (at that moment in time), passed a cop at the side of the road, he put his blues and twos on and races around to the back of the group of bikers. Sat there for a few minutes, as he had tuned his lights off at this point, then pulled over one of the chaps at the back. I assume this was because he had got a small plate fitted as I couldn't see anything else obvious (I know it could have been tax or insurance related possibly) but just don't give them too much of an excuse.

Please help me, I've been happily married for many years but just recently I've become attracted to Goldwings.  My wife is aware of, and tolerates, my Honda fetish but she'd chuck me out if she found about this.wing1.jpg.f9d4f22dcbbf2c45fa647a28106d71a5.jpg

Behold it's great majesty!  It's a 1985 Aspencade, which means you get this dash too:

wingdash.jpg.1dfeb750498e6d42718b59f86b1e7d8f.jpg

wing2.jpg.e7738d0aca7b5ecd2078d3b1afe214e1.jpg

Custom artwork too, which by chance celebrates my ancestry (if that picture is of King's Lynn sugar beet factory, which I think it is).

This started out as looking at ST1300 Pan Europeans (this was sat alongside an absolutely shite example I'd visited this place to look at), but my inner Raymond-boy craves the absurdity of this.  It's nearly £4K though.