The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Yo @Fabergé Greggs, did you know you can Up-LEZ any non-LEZ LEZzers at this place?

https://www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com/

@jollyfkr2 mentioned them when he came to collect my old SV. 

They charge £180 nowadays but basically any bike will pass the test, NOx is created by direct injection and high combustion pressures which as you can imagine (for example) a carb-fed Piaggio has not. 

They claim that most bikes just pass anyway because their NOxes are low enough and for others they do something or other (or nothing, it happens behind a closed door) and then they do pass the test and get put on the TFL database the following working day. 

Probs worth considering if you didn't know already as the pool of "non-compliant" cheap 2 wheeled shitters must be greater, especially in DA SOUF

33 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Yo @Fabergé Greggs, did you know you can Up-LEZ any non-LEZ LEZzers at this place?

https://www.nationalemissionstestcentre.com/

@jollyfkr2 mentioned them when he came to collect my old SV. 

They charge £180 nowadays but basically any bike will pass the test, NOx is created by direct injection and high combustion pressures which as you can imagine (for example) a carb-fed Piaggio has not. 

They claim that most bikes just pass anyway because their NOxes are low enough and for others they do something or other (or nothing, it happens behind a closed door) and then they do pass the test and get put on the TFL database the following working day. 

Probs worth considering if you didn't know already as the pool of "non-compliant" cheap 2 wheeled shitters must be greater, especially in DA SOUF

Yeah totes & cheers m8! I've spoken with a few folks who have had their bikes done there, and they range from testing them and charging £180, to charging them £450 for testing and fitting a catalyser. 

I gave them a ring a week or so back cos I was interested in a Honda FJS Silverwing- big 600cc fucker. Honda were super helpful and gave me the NOx data which was sadly over the 0.15g/km limit- something like 0.21g/km. I then saw that someone had got their silverwing tested and it passed, so I gave them a ring with a question along the lines of "if i brought my Honda Silverwing to you, would it pass?" To which they replied "couldn't possibly say mate, they usually test okay though". I then said, "cool, in case it doesn't, how much would it be?" to which they said "Look mate, ask the question as many times as you like, but we just can't say ok? There's a couple of things that we might be able to do" with a surprising dose of attitude. 

The attitude, combined with the closed door will they/won't they charge me whatever the fuck they want puts me off a bit but yeah I've deffo been considering cheaper bikes with the test fee in mind. 

Weird though innit, that they can pass a bike that the manufacturer reckons wouldn't pass? Further reinforces your "closed door" theory. 

Hmm yeah that does sound pretty shit. I've got no actual tales I just thought most bikes only needed the test.

On some bikes if there is a manual adjustment just making it a bit richer might get the NOx down, obviously at the cost of some HC or CO/CO2 but they are only regulating/measuring NOx.

I understand they are the only place that is authorised to test as well which gives them licence to be knobs about it as you can't exactly go somewhere else.

But yeah, hard to budget on a coin flip of "maybe £180/maybe £450"

Great day at the classic track day at Castle Combe yesterday .

Took the cat and the new toy but stuck with the 660 for the day . That is a great handling bike and I was grinning from ear to ear . 
Throttle cable must be strong tho cos that fucker was pulled tight about 90% of the lap .

Onky about 40hp on a good day but was still holding its own . 

I took the Thundercat just in case the 660 played up but it was my mates tzr that needed a fettle so he used the cat for one session . Came back grinning from ear to ear and well used knee sliders the bastard . I’m too stiff and short in the leg for such activities .

Some stunning old bikes in the paddock too and generally a more friendly vibe than a normal track day . 
Roll on Donington in June I say !

6D0794AB-BFB1-4E40-A9CD-E71F4731A307.jpeg

EA4FF1B2-767F-487D-9C61-7FE27C942F7E.jpeg

So, it's been a long time since I've ridden a 50cc scooter, I was also many stones lighter, I've just been out on the ex cavcraft Piaggio sfera and it seems to do about 25mph with a 17st man with the aerodynamics of a caravan piloting it, though I don't have a long flat section very near (Wales) to get a real flat out figure.

Is this to be expected do you think? I will add that I got up a hill (13mph), over it and back again and managed to get 45mph on the downhill segments.

Opinions?

I have been using my son's speedfight for work, again no long straights. I get around 35ish on the flat, but feels it has a bit more to go. Up hills around 25 and I have seen 50 down a long, not very steep hill. So I would say the sfera may be restricted? Maybe take the exhaust off and see if there is a washer in the bit where it bolts to the barrel (in the exhaust, not the port in the barrel) this was a common way to restrict 2 strokes back it the day, also an easy way to unrestrict them!

5 minutes ago, andyberg said:

I have been using my son's speedfight for work, again no long straights. I get around 35ish on the flat, but feels it has a bit more to go. Up hills around 25 and I have seen 50 down a long, not very steep hill. So I would say the sfera may be restricted? Maybe take the exhaust off and see if there is a washer in the bit where it bolts to the barrel (in the exhaust, not the port in the barrel) this was a common way to restrict 2 strokes back it the day, also an easy way to unrestrict them!

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I am yet to investigate the exhaust for restriction, there isn't any on the intake or the variator so if there is some I think it would be in the world's tiniest zorst.

Also, is his restricted? And are you also a gentleman of the more ample dimensions?

5 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

Thanks for the input.

Yes, I am yet to investigate the exhaust for restriction, there isn't any on the intake or the variator so if there is some I think it would be in the world's tiniest zorst.

Also, is his restricted? And are you also a gentleman of the more ample dimensions?

Easiest step is exhaust first. Some manufacturers, honda I'm looking at you, went well overboard with restrictions and put throttle stops in the carb and possibly meddled with the variators.

My son's was restricted in the exhaust, Peugeot put an extra pipe a few inches from the manifold. I just simply cut it off and welded a plate over it, theory is it should hit 40-45 given a run on the flat. I'm 6 ft and about 14st.

18 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Easiest step is exhaust first. 

If it's not very rusty.....

(Though it is smothered in WD already in preparation)

I'm not especially after de-restricting it, just wondered if it sounded about right as it is for a 30 year old fifty

8 minutes ago, Iamgroot said:

If it's not very rusty.....

(Though it is smothered in WD already in preparation)

I'm not especially after de-restricting it, just wondered if it sounded about right as it is for a 30 year old fifty

It's still faster than a modern 50. In my opinion they are downright dangerous, no acceleration and woeful top speed, even down hill.

On 5/1/2022 at 6:15 PM, Iamgroot said:

Thanks for the input.

That's about right, imho.

Incidentally: Paging @UltraWombleas he's after a 'ped for his daughter.

Cheers @Cavcraft, I haven't re -mot'd this sfera yet, but i think it is finally running properly now I've fitted new reeds, cleaned the original carb and refitted it (after junking the Chinese one I bought for it), put a new electric choke on it, rebuilt the variator and put a new drive belt in it, I've also even put a battery in the time clock on the dash. Of course I replaced the non shock absorbing front shock with a real one too.

Edited by Iamgroot
Forgot about the new shock

1 hour ago, Iamgroot said:

Cheers @Cavcraft, I haven't re -mot'd this sfera yet, but i think it is finally running properly now I've fitted new reeds, cleaned the original carb and refitted it (after junking the Chinese one I bought for it), put a new electric choke on it, rebuilt the variator and put a new drive belt in it, I've also even put a battery in the time clock on the dash. Of course I replaced the non shock absorbing front shock with a real one too.

Want it taking for a test run up the canal, M8?

On 5/1/2022 at 6:27 PM, andyberg said:

Easiest step is exhaust first. Some manufacturers, honda I'm looking at you, went well overboard with restrictions and put throttle stops in the carb and possibly meddled with the variators.

My son's was restricted in the exhaust, Peugeot put an extra pipe a few inches from the manifold. I just simply cut it off and welded a plate over it, theory is it should hit 40-45 given a run on the flat. I'm 6 ft and about 14st.

I had a Honda Melody, scary wobbly thing until you became used to it. The variable drive had a longer spacer in one of the pulleys that restricted the ratio to exactly 28mph. I turned it down to let the pulleys close up, hard work as it was case hardened. On a down hill it would exceed 40mph!

I regularly met another muppet on a Melody commuting the same route and it was comical that we did exactly same speed and a tribute to Honda accuracy, we only caught up at traffic lights! After I shortened the spacer  he was gobsmacked after we hit 28mph side by side and I carried on pulling away. 🤣

Didn't that Peugeot exhaust have a restrictor ring in the flange and a brass plate on the carb inlet plus airbox restrictions?

On 4/29/2022 at 5:51 PM, Dave_Q said:

Hmm yeah that does sound pretty shit. I've got no actual tales I just thought most bikes only needed the test.

On some bikes if there is a manual adjustment just making it a bit richer might get the NOx down, obviously at the cost of some HC or CO/CO2 but they are only regulating/measuring NOx.

I understand they are the only place that is authorised to test as well which gives them licence to be knobs about it as you can't exactly go somewhere else.

But yeah, hard to budget on a coin flip of "maybe £180/maybe £450"

Fun fact: 

I spoke to another ULEZ tester up Cambridge way who was a bit more frank about their process to get it to pass. 

They work on mixture first, either with a "fuel module" which I guess is a resister on the ECU somehere, to richen the mixture, or, get this: BY RESTRICTING THE AIR INTAKE which usually costs in the region of £60.

If that fails, they fit a cat. 

He didn't say in so many words but I'm guessing that you remove the old sock from your intake manifold as soon as you roll out of the yard £240 lighter. 

5 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Of course being flat out at work , over run with motor bikes at home and work and being a 17st fatty meant I had to buy a grom with a broken engine

D8D1D43F-BFF1-4F25-8E15-4165E0444A96.jpeg

Love it! Sell it to me.

I really want to try one of these. Report back on your findings. 

On 5/10/2022 at 12:38 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

Airbags. Anyone wear them? I'm considering one for my motorway commute on my recently acquired Maxi scoot 

I've been using a Helite Turtle 2 for the past few weeks... when I remember to put it on... and when I remember to attach the tether... it's taking some getting used to.  I was in the queue with it in Sportsbikeshop when a guy wearing one walked in, I asked him how he was finding it and he reckoned it had saved his bacon when he ran into the back of a car, bounced head-first off that and into another car coming the other way (the vest fixed his helmet in place).  No injuries, though the vest becomes very tight and he was shrieking for somebody to get it off him.  Said he carries a spare gas canister under his seat now, presumably planning to test it further :)

It feels heavy when you pick it up, but I don't notice it once on.  It's more faff of course, but then there's already loads of faff with helmet, gloves, etc.  Wouldn't recommend for track days, you need the tether pretty short.  Would it make any difference in a big crash?  Dunno, I think of it as just buying more lottery tickets.