The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 2/28/2022 at 10:14 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

Question: for long bits of motorway commuting, would you consider noise cancelling Bluetooth headphones or similar for listening to podcasts or whatnot? 

I have one similar to this fitted in each of my three helmets

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Helmet-Headset-Bluetooth-5-0-EDR-Headphones-Wireless-Earphone-UK-Y0Y8-/224853564852?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Bought one, was so good I bought two more. On Aliexpress they can be bought for less than €10 each.

Battery life is excellent, volume is high enough at three figure speeds. Links both my mobile phone and bike satnav at the same time, so can listen to music and still get my directions, as volume on the phone dips when receiving spoken directions. I've taken a couple of phone calls on the move too, and decent sound quality.

IMPORTANT NOTE Ear buds and in ear headsets are illegal to use when driving or riding in most of EU (certainly Spain, France, Germany, Czechia and Belgium) but "across the ear" headsets are legal.

3 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Ive got an occasional 60 mile (each way) motorway commute coming up, and I'm thinking that the Honda Integra is surely the perfect machine.. Auto, weather protection, mega MPG's. Am I wrong? 

s-l1600.jpg

I'd agree or a new X-ADV 350 thing at £5.5k if you want new with a warranty, I really want something like this but my commute doesn't warrant it.

I'm a fan of the massive scooter concept, only concern on that would be it's a dual clutch robot auto rather than a more traditional variated auto so you would deffo need to ride one first to check its not annoying. 

Jazoli has a good point on the X-ADV, mega popular in Europe where they have much more taste than we do about big scooters. 

Alternatively the Forza 300/350 would also be a good shout, got to be better mpgs than your 750 there but 97% as fast in the real world.

Looks similar to a Burgman type position though so best to be a short arse, the Burgman didn't really fit me as not enough legroom.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324689478751

Image 1 - 2015 65 HONDA NSS 300 A-D ABS FORZA BLACK MAXI SCOOTER HPI CLEAR TRADE SALE 21K

Some great suggestions there lads. Indeed a 350 would probably do it, and they would deffo be more economical than the big capacity CVT scooters. 

However, that Integra (which is an NC750x underneath) is apparently mega economical at motorway speeds thanks to having "half of a Honda Jazz engine M8" and a looong 6th gear to drop into (indeed it's a DCT box- -would deffo hassle for a test ride first). 

So if you're maybe doing 80 or so, whereas the Burgmans/Forzas/Xevos etc would be a little strained, I'm wondering if this will still be in it's lazy low revving comfort zone. 

On 3/4/2022 at 8:36 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

Does anyone on here have a trusted motorbike courier? May possibly need a bike transporting down to me in Cornwall and don't want to entrust it to a £20 unknown who'll likely ruin the damn thing. 

Bertrand at Dolwolfian Logistics:  07974 410416.  Charges £109 for all of England and £139 for Scotland, absolutely brilliant service and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Build you own Vespa - or there seem to be a lot of rusty old bits,  The Bill Drake Collection - Vintage Vespa Scooters, Parts & Memorabilia,  comming up for auction.

https://www.ewbankauctions.co.uk/20220322BD-lot-118-Quantity-of-various-Vespa-fork-stems?arr=0&auction_id=712&box_filter=0&category=&department_id=&exclude_keyword=&export_issue=0&high_estimate=0&image_filter=0&keyword=&list_type=&lots_per_page=0&low_estimate=0&month=&page_no=10&paper_filter=0&search_type=&sort_by=&view=lot_detail&year=

Who would not want a fine collection of Vespa KickStart Spings ?

Lot Image

On 3/9/2022 at 5:23 PM, Fabergé Greggs said:

So if you're maybe doing 80 or so, whereas the Burgmans/Forzas/Xevos etc would be a little strained, I'm wondering if this will still be in it's lazy low revving comfort zone. 

7k redline hence mega effcient - dct if light throttle youll be in top under 35 mph

you  need to have a go of the auto cos it takes getting used to going under 15 mph/walking pace

when i boought one after 6 years i bought a manuel :)

Either drill a 5 or 6mm hole (not all the way through) towards the edge and use a punch to get it to turn or dremel a big slot and use an impact screwdriver with the widest flat bit you can get, it will come out, a can of plumbers freeze spray sprayed directly onto the nut will also help.

1 hour ago, twosmoke300 said:

You ain’t getting that out ! 😂

I have easy outs but they're far too small

I feel a coupla holes and a grinder key happening

Wuldnt have minded but it's not stopping me using the bike thank fek

17 quid for a.new cap ffs choclate.muthfuka

Well, after infinity cajillion years stored upstairs in a motorbike shop, the C200/S90/whatever it's called is running again. My feeble attempts to just stick a battery on and see what happened were later hampered by managing to  smash the ignition  barrel to pieces. A replacement was found, and a key cut, though it's not seemingly done anything. Fast forward to today, my mate came down, discovered a disconnected wire and promptly got himself a decent belt off the points. Coil works, HT lead works, spare plug sought and working, nice fat spark. Bit of fuel down the carb (the tap on the tank isn't releasing any fuel) and after a few attempts and working out which way the choke went, it only bleeding well fired up!

Note use of quality workshop approved tools here. 

May be an image of outdoors

No photo description available.

So much excite was had by us both, those there's the small issue of silly things like a cleaned and working fuel tap, ignition key and then lights looking at, and whatever else presents itself. 

On 09/03/2022 at 17:42, Cavcraft said:

Bertrand at Dolwolfian Logistics:  07974 410416.  Charges £109 for all of England and £139 for Scotland, absolutely brilliant service and one of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Opposite journey for me (from Cornwall), but may very well contact him myself.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for comparisons/options sake?

Got a new toy. Needs a little work. One cylinder is miss firing, I'll get new points and condensers first. The leccy start doesn't, the charge light stays on, it's a dynamo rather than alternator. Currently de-rusting the inside of the tank. It's a German import, I reckon 1977. Takes me back many years, I had RD's and KH's but never a Suzuki 2 stroke. 

IMG_20220326_142241.jpg

IMG_20220326_142230.jpg

On 09/03/2022 at 17:42, Cavcraft said:

His prices seem to have gone up, I've been quoted £159 Cornwall to Buckinghamshire. Still a good deal for trustworthy transport?

On 3/26/2022 at 6:28 PM, andyberg said:

Got a new toy. Needs a little work. One cylinder is miss firing, I'll get new points and condensers first. The leccy start doesn't, the charge light stays on, it's a dynamo rather than alternator. Currently de-rusting the inside of the tank. It's a German import, I reckon 1977. Takes me back many years, I had RD's and KH's but never a Suzuki 2 stroke. 

IMG_20220326_142241.jpg

IMG_20220326_142230.jpg

Very popular bikes and for good reason.  That looks class, well bought.

On 3/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, Cavcraft said:

Well, after infinity cajillion years stored upstairs in a motorbike shop, the C200/S90/whatever it's called is running again. My feeble attempts to just stick a battery on and see what happened were later hampered by managing to  smash the ignition  barrel to pieces. A replacement was found, and a key cut, though it's not seemingly done anything. Fast forward to today, my mate came down, discovered a disconnected wire and promptly got himself a decent belt off the points. Coil works, HT lead works, spare plug sought and working, nice fat spark. Bit of fuel down the carb (the tap on the tank isn't releasing any fuel) and after a few attempts and working out which way the choke went, it only bleeding well fired up!

Note use of quality workshop approved tools here. 

May be an image of outdoors

No photo description available.

So much excite was had by us both, those there's the small issue of silly things like a cleaned and working fuel tap, ignition key and then lights looking at, and whatever else presents itself. 

I might have a new air filter here to fit. From memory,  the C200 was a pushrod engine and the S90 OHC.

I need a first bike. Thinking something around the 600cc mark. What I really want is a CBR600F in Benneton colours obvs. 

I missed out on this NTV650 which I feel a bit silly about- looked like a great contender. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-NTV-600-Revere-/203866924203?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

seems like you get some great value from this era of Japanese bike 

8D3B10EB-87E5-4A11-9196-996E7C8C59C0.jpeg

You do but bear in mind a lot of them are 25-30 years old and completely fucked by now, hoses perish, carb rubbers fall to bits, exhausts are rotted through, panels are cracked and falling apart, wiring is brittle and prone to failure.

My money would be on a 10yr old SV650 or similar, sod buying knackered old heaps, they end up costing more than a much newer one usually.

58 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

You do but bear in mind a lot of them are 25-30 years old and completely fucked by now, hoses perish, carb rubbers fall to bits, exhausts are rotted through, panels are cracked and falling apart, wiring is brittle and prone to failure.

My money would be on a 10yr old SV650 or similar, sod buying knackered old heaps, they end up costing more than a much newer one usually.

My son bought this 2000 SV650S about 6 months ago. It had less than 2K miles on the clock and looks nearly brand new. The lack of ABS is no big deal and the twin carbs have not given any problems. He loves it.

1647796279098.JPEG

Can anybody out there give me some advice?

Back in January I did a CBT on an auto 50 scooter. First time I’ve been on a bike (except maybe 25 years ago as a 15 yr old on a field). It’s something I’ve always wanted to do but my parents are so anti-bike I never did it. At 40 this year I figured it was now or never but I have no immediate plans to buy a bike. The CBT was a bit steady but I enjoyed it.

I’m not an overly confident person but the instructor told me that I seemed to be good enough to go further with the bike test so I booked in and did an afternoon on a geared 125. That was much more fun. I had a great time on that with a cracking instructor.

I booked and passed my theory test this week and the next day did a full day training on a 650. Again, good instructor who didn’t bark at me when I made mistakes. BUT….. I enjoyed the 125, nice and steady, a bit bouncy but I was comfortable at 45-50mph. I don’t like driving fast either. In order to pass an actual test they want you to ‘make progress’. Basically means doing the speed limit unless obviously unsafe to do so.

At 60mph on national speed limit back roads I felt so unsafe. I did an overtake accelerating upto 60mph, thought it was one of the most stupid/irresponsible  things I’ve done in years and the instructor congratulated me for it saying my riding was improving so much. The roads are terrible and the wind buffeting so uncomfortable. Likewise, 70mph on the dual carriageway was 100% miserable.

Doing shoulder checks at this speed felt downright dangerous, even moving my head a little to check mirrors felt like my head was about to get blown off. After a days training I was absolutely exhausted and aching.

I’m on a Kawasaki z650, is this normal? Is it just something you get used to? Have I completely missed the point about biking? I’m booked in for 2 consecutive days late next week with the aim to do the mod1 test on the 2nd day but I’m debating whether to carry on.

I went from a year on a 50, to a 125

Couldn't believe the speed, and couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground. 

Then I went to a 600, and thought I'd bought a rocket, and couldn't believe how much braking power it had. Then I bought an RD350LC and couldn't believe how close I could get my knee to the floor. 

Then I bought a mini 1000. And couldn't believe how much camping gear I could carry.