The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 1/27/2022 at 8:14 PM, Dave_Q said:

Where do you lot buy bike tyres from?

I need a rear for my TMax, its a bit of a weird size 160/60 15. 

Finding I can get Pirelli Diablo for £95 from mytyres.co.uk or Michelin Pilot Power scooter tyres for £101 from Demon Tweeks.

Not terrible although would obviously like to pay less if possible, would just like to check other sites before ordering.

Just need a tyre, will fit myself with tyre levers etc as am a masochist

There's a place called 'Bob's Tyres' in Deeside who could probably get you one. If they won't post out let me know and I'll happily collect and send it to you.

Meantime, the fleet reduction didn't go quite as planned. Was supposed to have just picked this...

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

(and a Chinese 125 bike) up and moved them for somebody, but actually ended up buying them both. The SV is pretty cool to be fair and sounds nice, but isn't a keeper.  I don't half fancy a KH250/400, a Suzuki triple or a 350LC (Kenny Roberts rep, ideally) but they're just ridiculous money now.

More tyre chat. It goes without saying that my Moto Guzzi v7 III is ace but it's Achilles heal is the tyres - Pirelli Speed Demons. They were never brilliant but now they are wearing down a bit they are white-lining very badly. They need replacing.

I have a short list of three tyres, all seem to be well regarded. In alphabetical order - Avon Roadrider II, Contiental Roadattack 3 or Michelin Road Classic.

(it's a shame the Pirellis are mediocre as I'd like to stick with the Italian vibe, but they really are white lining very badly, some new Guzzi's did come with Michelins in the past so I'm sort of wavering a bit in that direction).

Which would you choose?

10 hours ago, Jazoli said:

I'd probably go for the Michelin's first, I'd be assuming they'd be a similar compound to the 'Road' range which are awesome, what size are your tyres?

Thanks - the Michelins do get good reviews. The front tyre is 100/90-18 56H and the back is 130/80-17 65H.

Two (decent) attempts to clean out the carb on the SS50, but it still continues to only run on a minimum of 1/4 choke and doesn't seem to be as fast (as if) as it was before. Took it to a garage who said the carb mount (engine end) was fitted with the gasket the wrong way round, which restricted it a bit. They're hoping that will sort it out, all being well I'll find out next week.

May be an image of motorcycle

Looked at the tyres when it was there, and they are absolutely shagged, good job it's not been ridden for a while. The front is a 2.50 and the rear is a 2.25, which appears to be daft. Will price a new pair up (and tubes) and get them sorted.

If the running issue is sorted, I'll do a comparison between this, the FS1M and the AP50. Back in the day everyone who had the Yamaha said it'd do 80MPH up hill with a fat lad on the back because they changed the spark plug, anyone with the Suzuki said it'd pass them in 1st gear and Honda owners suggested they were holding back as they overtook RD250s. In real world terms this SS seems to struggle to get even close to 40, the AP (albeit a French 4 speed 'A50P') I haven't tried yet (but is a little faster) and the FS1M was hitting 38-40 on the clock, but with a carb clean and a nice shiny new Allspeed it once showed 49, with a little more to go. They are 'speedo speeds' though, not GPS. People in the know reckon a real world 40-ish is a bout the limit on the FS1, unless further modified. The pipe did make a big difference though, so potentially a big bore kit is on the cards, along with a re-jet.

To compare further with these, there's an (import) RD50M which does seem quite crap in comparison, though finding the right jet for it has been quite trying. A new (and ridiculously cheap) power pipe' has arrived, needs a bracket fabricating before it goes on though. Another lad fitted the same pipe to his FS1 and said it sounded great. It probably seems silly trying to get a 50 to go faster, and with most of them I'm not arsed, but the FS1 is a fun challenge. It's changed dramatically since buying it (in looks and performance) and remains my favourite of the 49cc bikes to ride, by some margin.

Not in the UK but there's a some road/offroad trails which are surprisingly accepting to motorcyclists, the Portuguese one is scheduled to take 5 days.

https://adventurecountrytracks.com/elementor-24724/#elementor-action%3Aaction%3Dpopup%3Aopen%26settings%3DeyJpZCI6IjI1MTE2IiwidG9nZ2xlIjpmYWxzZX0%3D

And some random bikes have used part of it.

PortugalMoped.thumb.jpg.dba35823011a8f7f6894efdf8f25f6e0.jpg

2 hours ago, groovylee said:

plan is some light lane use to start with, then at least one long distance trial, and maybe a few one day events.

Nice. I have trialed a quite a few C15s over the years which have similar geo and a James with a very similar engine. Ride my dads Bantam on the road from to time as well. Yours will be a great all rounder as it looks relatively standard.

I don't like the newer style Drayton ones as much as traditional. Although the higher front end of the more modern style geo is nice from time to time to make it feel a bit lighter.

You will enjoy the one days on it you should give it a go. What area are you in?

Telford classic show is on the weekend at the ICC if you find yourself needing any parts.

On 2/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, Cavcraft said:

May be an image of motorcycle

Looked at the tyres when it was there, and they are absolutely shagged, good job it's not been ridden for a while. The front is a 2.50 and the rear is a 2.25, which appears to be daft. Will price a new pair up (and tubes) and get them sorted.

Nice 'ped. I think it's got the wrong tyres on it - shouldn't they be 2.75 front and back?

28 minutes ago, martc said:

Nice 'ped. I think it's got the wrong tyres on it - shouldn't they be 2.75 front and back?

I honestly don't know, just assumed 2.50 front and back.

2 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Narrow tyres are more aerodynamic innit, my mate said he got 39mph out of his by fitting 2 inch tyres and lying on the tank in the superman position

But don't you need extra wide tyres to put all that power down?

Further to my comments about the tyre size - they could be 2.50 wide at both ends...

22 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Narrow tyres are more aerodynamic innit, my mate said he got 39mph out of his by fitting 2 inch tyres and lying on the tank in the superman position

If I lay on it, it'd crush like a coke can being run over by a cement lorry.

The garage have now found an oil leak from one of the exhaust studs. All kinds of possibilities it seems, option 244 (ignoring it for now) is probably the one to be chosen. 

Still not had a proper run out on the (right hand) Bantam yet...

bsatwins.thumb.jpg.05b4c7406e53a1af235ad5e305a78f10.jpg

..the other doesn't run, said it needed a new wiring loom, which he gave me for it.

15 hours ago, tom13 said:

Nice. I have trialed a quite a few C15s over the years which have similar geo and a James with a very similar engine. Ride my dads Bantam on the road from to time as well. Yours will be a great all rounder as it looks relatively standard.

I don't like the newer style Drayton ones as much as traditional. Although the higher front end of the more modern style geo is nice from time to time to make it feel a bit lighter.

You will enjoy the one days on it you should give it a go. What area are you in?

Telford classic show is on the weekend at the ICC if you find yourself needing any parts.

im in shefford, bedfordshire.  will definitely be giving a few events a go :-)

Lee

On 2/1/2022 at 7:43 PM, martc said:

More tyre chat. It goes without saying that my Moto Guzzi v7 III is ace but it's Achilles heal is the tyres - Pirelli Speed Demons. They were never brilliant but now they are wearing down a bit they are white-lining very badly. They need replacing.

I have a short list of three tyres, all seem to be well regarded. In alphabetical order - Avon Roadrider II, Contiental Roadattack 3 or Michelin Road Classic.

(it's a shame the Pirellis are mediocre as I'd like to stick with the Italian vibe, but they really are white lining very badly, some new Guzzi's did come with Michelins in the past so I'm sort of wavering a bit in that direction).

Which would you choose?

You've probably invested by now but I'd go Conti. Not used the 3's but on previous iterations I liked the profile and they were a comfy tyre with more grip than normal people need like most modern tyres.

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

If I lay on it, it'd crush like a coke can being run over by a cement lorry.

The garage have now found an oil leak from one of the exhaust studs. All kinds of possibilities it seems, option 244 (ignoring it for now) is probably the one to be chosen. 

Still not had a proper run out on the (right hand) Bantam yet...

bsatwins.thumb.jpg.05b4c7406e53a1af235ad5e305a78f10.jpg

..the other doesn't run, said it needed a new om which he gave me for it.

Snap

IMG_20210912_132503611_HDR.jpg

2 hours ago, 5speedracer said:

You've probably invested by now but I'd go Conti. Not used the 3's but on previous iterations I liked the profile and they were a comfy tyre with more grip than normal people need like most modern tyres.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've not bought any tyres yet, probably get them next month, so we've got 1 vote for the Michelins and 1 vote for the Continentals. Anyone else care to comment?

In related matters, the Guzzi's back wheel has a cush drive and it can be a clart getting it back on with the rubber inserts sticking/falling out. Some people have recommended smearing the rubber with a little Vaseline to help the cushes slide into the orifices  (fnarr fnarr). Would this be OK or would the Vaseline attack the rubber? Any other lubrication suggestions?

So I've been bored on ebay and found this...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255331268368?hash=item3b72edf710:g:kY8AAOSwaLRh4Vvp

I now have a lockup and bike insurance is biblically cheap according to confused.com, sub <£100 with CN. I insured with them in the past when I had an ER5, which I also remember being ridiculously cheap. Why should I not buy another bike???? I Haven't had one in about five years but loved it when I did.

P1070559.thumb.JPG.9e099f13fd201d1c010ad32596bb6ef1.JPG

Why are you even asking? Do it already.

£900 for that is not bad but if all he's done is drag it out of storage and whang on a part worn and some exhaust wob he might take less.

It's not really too bad in the current market but the NTVs have never been that popular and even a full MOT example would probably have been 5-600 a couple of years ago

I look now and then and they're mainly up for dealer premium - which is ofc a lot. I like simple bikes, no more than 2 cylinder ideally but a basic Bandit 600 is appealing too. I remember when @hairnet appeared on his at an old SF. No idea what the bike market is doing these days but then I haven't bought one in nearly ten years.