The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I'm a snob when it comes to cruisers.  Got to be V twin and either shaft or belt drive hence why I won't touch one of these or the newer Vulcan 650.  I can't have another bike until I sell the Divvy, which is in need of repair.
I understand that, there is something a wee bit wrong about a parallel twin in a cruiser chassis.

My wife likes Harleys. But she's short and in the process of doing her big test so not very experienced beyond her 125.

The CMX on paper has similar performance as a Sportster 883, but is waaaay lighter and has a really low seat (did I mention she's a short arse).

It's A2 compliant so won't set the world on fire but it handles better than you'd expect, has Honda build quality and only really feels lacking when you try pushing it on a bit. It will do the ton if you really want it to but is much happier cruising.

The engine is the CBR500R lump but tuned for more low down torque. It doesn't really have much top end as a result, but feels reasonably torquey from low rpms

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

From Russia/Belarus -

image.png.b052d9ee61ef2f630dcc93bdf7dacc3e.png

TARUS 2x2 Off-road Motorcycle

image.png.16ee388292bef41985845ea5857a758b.png

Minsk R250. 'Minsk Motorcycles' have been manufacturing motorcycles for 70 years since 1951 (in the USSR, then Belarus) and has sold more than 6.5 million motorcycles around the world! An improvement over my Minsk (Neval) 125 - the first 'proper' motorbike I owned.

I think I'm going to throw in the towel with this.
It's the 400cc.
Has an issue that feels like fuel starvation but only at a constant speed above say 50.
Acceleration is fine and hauls my 22 stone arse up to 80.
It is rideable but just feels like someone is rolling the throttle off and on.
Ive put new Pirelli Scooter Angel tyres on it and you can see the recent spend to get it MOT tested.
Also had a new battery.
I bought it for 600 and ideally that's what I'd like.
Would swap for something else, even a smaller bike like a 50.

8408365ad074055c71ea7f2034545562.jpg
64453e79c5e1412799c2dfaa464f6823.jpg
b71f94dd9696853ae7a3f636d0bff543.jpg
5a41df190a560da8dcf069e48b53c78d.jpg32051e92424588d38456e445b030a807.jpg
504edfb9ae587e9ad2db62c46373370d.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, hairnet said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255092130990?hash=item3b64ad04ae:g:cogAAOSwS95hF33l

FFS

s-l1600.jpg

so much want

cant as dont have the room (no shit)

anyone want a metal filing cabinet?

Prefer the CL350 that the Indian dealer near me has in.

IMG-20210618-WA0009.thumb.jpg.c1040dac11c4e76abeacb8d1725925c0.jpg

IMG-20210618-WA0010.thumb.jpg.abb053c574405296f444adaf00d9ffd2.jpg

Sadly destined for renovation for the owners private collection. Wanted one of these for years

My SV is being a dick, it started smelling of petrol a bit when i'd take the cover off and generally when stationary and warm, smelt like it was running rich but otherwise was ok. Stripped the carbs down, cleaned all the jets through, all the tiny air-correction nozzles, new gaskets, new float seats and needles and now it runs like a sack of crap. Carb sync is fine, removed a washer from the needle jet (different carbs to yours @Jerzy Woking, the linkage on that one had, fairly, worn a bit after 60k) ao its at about stock now, no exhaust smell, no hanging idle just running rough. Swapped the float arrangement over with the spare carb and put a stock airfilter back on and will see what its like tomorrow or over the weekend.

real question though.

VFR800s. Any experience? I like that they have fairings, are powerful enough without being silly but aren't really a sport bike but they appear unservicable and the single-swing-arm arrangement looks like it isn't very clever.

I had a 1994 VFR 750, so similar. Got me to the TT and Nurbergring in comfort, plenty quick enough and did handle really well, bare in mind tho I am no sports rider! Sounds great with a slightly* noisier pipe. As for servicing, mine went to a bike shop, sod that for a game of soldiers. I was much younger then, and I would like another. But the servicing part puts me off, especially as they are another 20 years older. The 800 IIRC had variable valve timing and side mount radiators, I wouldn't know where to start. I think with both versions rear spark plugs are a 'challenge' 

Its just off idle thats where its the worst, when you are just ambling along its rough as. the idle is smooth and giving it the beans is ok but throttle just slightly on is horrible. Maybe i dislodged some crap and now the needle is wandering all over the place, will investigate.

800s look like a decent proposition so will check out one at the nearby bike shop - they had one in last time i was there, didn't have the time to make enquiries. Wouldn't be the end of the world to have to have them service it, I'd just feel better about being able to do it myself.

I think on any VFR the exhaust is a big thing to look for as the 2+2 into one (or two, depending) setup is quite complex and mostly hung out in the road spray. 

They are a lot more likely to have been ridden in actual weather than a sports bike so think that makes it worse.

I had a G reg VFR, servicing was OK I had the carbs off with no issues, the engines are pretty much bombproof.

I think I do recall the general bike mag opinion is a non-VTEC 800 is the one to go for.

On 8/19/2021 at 8:45 PM, tobyd said:

My SV is being a dick, it started smelling of petrol a bit when i'd take the cover off and generally when stationary and warm, smelt like it was running rich but otherwise was ok. Stripped the carbs down, cleaned all the jets through, all the tiny air-correction nozzles, new gaskets, new float seats and needles and now it runs like a sack of crap. Carb sync is fine, removed a washer from the needle jet (different carbs to yours @Jerzy Woking, the linkage on that one had, fairly, worn a bit after 60k) ao its at about stock now, no exhaust smell, no hanging idle just running rough. Swapped the float arrangement over with the spare carb and put a stock airfilter back on and will see what its like tomorrow or over the weekend.

real question though.

VFR800s. Any experience? I like that they have fairings, are powerful enough without being silly but aren't really a sport bike but they appear unservicable and the single-swing-arm arrangement looks like it isn't very clever.

What you need is a lovely Thundercat . The thinking mans vfr 

2FC1B262-60FE-44E7-95AD-BE4DCEDEDD7A.jpeg

I have bought the Guzzi from Mathewsons auctions and have not seen it yet. It should be getting delivered by the end of next week. I am guessing it will need a bit of work to get it on the road as its not be on the road since 2007/2008.
I have had 2 mk2s before some years ago. The last one I had some 20 years ago was identical to the one I have just bought. I just hope it is not as fucked as the last one.3d91768725cb23004880a5379dc988ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk