The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

2 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Pondering a move out of London at the mo (isn’t everyone).. what kind of MPG’s did you see from the Xevo? My potential commute would be similar to your old one. 

At a steady indicated 65 to 70 mph, around 90 mpg. Takes some restraint to do that though, although my commute was 3 miles of country lanes and 57 miles of motorway/dual carriageway so keeping a light and steady throttle was best for mpg. Ragging it saw that drop to around 55mpg but indicated speed was three figures.

I have just got a 2007 Yamaha X-Max 250, which is exceeding my  expectations. Really quick up to 100 kph, easily holds an indicated 120kph. It feels so much better than the Aprilia Leonardo I had that has the same engine.

Have done 100kms on it so far, and fuel gauge hasn't moved from Full. Storage under the seat is great, altough the seat doesnt tip right foward as it did on the X-Evo, and it needs a top box for even more storage/carrying capacity. 

I really like the maxi scooters for local trips to do the shopping, or just going to the beach where I can shove my jacket and helmet under the seat and off I go.

3 hours ago, bangernomics said:

I’m shopping for new tyres for my heavy vfr1200x and my usual suppler has offered me some stock stuff that I can have today.

Anyone used metzler 01 se? £300 a set

Or Bridgestone T32’s? £275 a set

There’s nothing in the price but I do lots of long sadly motorway commute type stuff so could do with something that doesn’t square off in a day.

I'd avoid the Bridgestones, pretty sure that's what my S1000XR came with, and they made the dashboard light up at the sight of rain. 

Metzler have good reviews & I was torn between them and the Michelin Road 5, ended up with the Road 5 in the end which are MILES better than the Bridgestones.

Oh make sure you get the touring version if you go Michelin, as they have a slightly different carcass made for the heavier bike.

1 hour ago, Minimad5 said:

I'd avoid the Bridgestones, pretty sure that's what my S1000XR came with, and they made the dashboard light up at the sight of rain. 

Metzler have good reviews & I was torn between them and the Michelin Road 5, ended up with the Road 5 in the end which are MILES better than the Bridgestones.

Oh make sure you get the touring version if you go Michelin, as they have a slightly different carcass made for the heavier bike.

We had Metzler Sportec M7RR's on the works BMW K1300's, and they were really good in the dry and gave confidence to push it in the wet. So pleased that I had a pair fitted to my Guzzi V1200 Sport the day before setting off to Albania in a 5000 mile round trip.

They were absolutely crap on the Guzzi. It broke traction far too easily when opening it up and in the wet through Montenegro I wondered if I was going to make it with falling off. Speeds were much lower than they should have been. The date on the sidewall showed they were made 6 weeks earlier. Very odd, but there you go.

Our VFR1200's had Dunlop's on them (Sportmax's I think), but I never rode them much, as just couldn't get on with the bikes at all.

Nice, guessing it's a GT125 or 200 from the carb?

I had a GTS250 for a short while this year but it was stolen so keep it locked up. And get some rust prevention into the battery box bit at the bottom of the frame.

I'm a fan of the Italian industry and thought I knew a bit about it, but this has jumped out of the wood work, not heard of them before - Miller Balsamo. They were relatively short lived, originally importers of Excellsior (USA version) and Aerial; they turned their hands to making bikes themselves, in Milan, from the 1920's until they went pop in the late 50's. Mainly cooking commuter bikes using propitiatory engines, often the brilliantly named Python Kopklepmotor from Holland (with connections to Rudge). Boringly Kopklepmotor just means valves in the head.

image.png.deb2fbe87495cbb9082fd49726a842a4.png

A cooking Miller Balsamo - just look at that kopklepmotor. But just look at these two -

image.png.860115214123846568bc5b63abd2b706.png

200cc of art deco brilliance.

image.png.af237397c99c35d32470de79ab72ff28.png

This one held many world records in the 175cc class. It was streamlined by an engineer working for Savoia Marchetti famous for it's aeroplanes.

@martc Thanks for the photos and information. I love the fact that there were many companies back then making competition  bikes based on what were just utilitarian vehicles used to get around on way before cars were affordable.

Looks like the one in the bottom photo put the dustbin fairing in the wrong place, but what do I know about aero dynamics?

1 hour ago, Jerzy Woking said:

@martc Thanks for the photos and information. I love the fact that there were many companies back then making competition  bikes based on what were just utilitarian vehicles used to get around on way before cars were affordable.

Looks like the one in the bottom photo put the dustbin fairing in the wrong place, but what do I know about aero dynamics?

The Italian industry, like the British, had plenty of smaller factories and they all seemed to want to have a go at going as fast as possible! Fortunately for the world of motorcycling there are still plenty of Italian factories about to add a little colour and character otherwise the bike world would be a little more like the car world - dominated by the Germans and Japanese, both of whom could not be accused of colour or character.

Incidently it seems the 175cc record breaker still exists and is in the 'Leonardo da Vinci National Museum of Science and Technology' in Milan.

The fairing does look like it's on backwards but the designer must have known what they were doing. I like the way you can see were the riders arse and legs would slot into the pressings.

image.png.4c903f833ccc9fcb475aed526214e711.png

here it is in the museum but I can't find any pictures of it in action though.

Just now, Bradders59 said:

I restored one a couple of years ago (1988 C90) and sold it for £1300. If I had space to keep it a few years I would have done, as Im pretty sure prices will only go one way.

Had I been a bit more confident and cheeky, I could have got more for it. The buyer was over the moon with it for the price.

I think there,s some pics of it somewhere earlier in this thread.

14 hours ago, Snake Charmer said:

Are chicken chasers still making silly money?

I know that tatty runners are fetching the best part of a grand! Nice bikes are stupid money now. I’ve mine 14 years and have never ridden it. In fact the guy I got it from 14 years ago was the last person to start it! I think it owes me £700! 

On 7/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, Faker said:

I know that tatty runners are fetching the best part of a grand! Nice bikes are stupid money now. I’ve mine 14 years and have never ridden it. In fact the guy I got it from 14 years ago was the last person to start it! I think it owes me £700! 

I have one we were going to do the PLOP Enduro on, not likely to happen now.