The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Bought something yesterday that is far more suited to longer trips to places such as Albania and Czechia in the not too distant future (🙏) as the Himalayan isnt for long trips on motorways and main roads, and i would simply have to firebomb the Street Triple after a day or two, as its so uncomfortable.

So, this came up cheap (it would be cheap in the UK, so that means really cheap here).

20210421_164246.thumb.jpg.ce778090a0f3389f9dbe3b93f71f7265.jpg

20210421_164325.thumb.jpg.5e0632384896dd41732bbdd64a848343.jpg

Runs well, excellent condition (only 40,000 kms) very comfy, and I'll have no worries over the security of luggage when off the bike. Does live up to its nickname i suppose, but very competent at what it does.

Seller even delivered it, so getting the bike transferred to my name is not so immediate now. I've got 30 days to do it, but cannot ride it until the paperwork is back from the traffic department.

Next job is to sell the Street Triple.....

1 hour ago, MT606 said:

how do tyres wear in spain, they made from a different compound to deal with the higher temps?

My Himalayan needs a new rear tyre after 10,000kms  as the Pirelli MT60 is on the wear markers. This sounds about the same as most owners get from a rear in the UK. 

50 minutes ago, MT606 said:

how do tyres wear in spain, they made from a different compound to deal with the higher temps?

I finished 2 sets of Dunlop D207's off at 800km's/pair a few years back, I did used to ride like a twat and it was a heavy old FZR1000 Exup, still it was an expensive couple of months, I used to get 6000km out of the conti road attacks I had on my Fazer 600 which was more palatable.

Finally gave in to the fact that the Mille will be the death of me - I’m just too old/fat/broken to be tooling around on a sports bike. 
so I went and did something.... vanilla. A 2014 BMW R1200GS. So far I’m loving it, comfortable, plenty fast enough, and has great hard luggage 👍

9908A16F-D965-4349-BB71-A416AB7FCAE5.jpeg

8 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

And I thought my Varadero was ugly ...but that bmw!

I still would though

it does have a face only a mother could love 🤣  so far tough, I'm smitten. i didn't think i'd like the upright riding position as much as i do, but it just eats up miles with no drama at all.  hopefully i'll be going for a ride out around bedfordshire on the weekend sans luggage, so I'll get a chance to see what she behaves like on some twistier stuff than the A1(m) and the M25....

On 4/11/2021 at 9:05 AM, Heidel_Kakao said:

1891540514_CAFE_KawasakiZ900RS_01.jpg.4773984b2cb1c22512525098fdea63e0.jpg

I have fallen in love with this, better start saving!

I've got one of these, they are great :)

They can be had very cheaply on a PCP if you look around as they haven't sold well at all, I paid £500 down and £130/month for mine, can't remember what the balloon is but I don't intend keeping it at the end of the term.

The only bad bits is that the screen doesn't offer any wind protection and the seat is uncomfortable after an hour.

4 hours ago, groovylee said:

it does have a face only a mother could love 🤣  so far tough, I'm smitten. i didn't think i'd like the upright riding position as much as i do, but it just eats up miles with no drama at all.  hopefully i'll be going for a ride out around bedfordshire on the weekend sans luggage, so I'll get a chance to see what she behaves like on some twistier stuff than the A1(m) and the M25....

I rented a GS for a weekend and found it a pretty handy weapon on bendy roads, I was surprised (I'd wanted a sports tourer but all they had was this or a Suzuki Intruder).  Did 20 hours in the saddle without any real discomfort, AND it was the only time I've had a woman come up to me and say "cool bike mate".  She'd have run away if I'd taken my helmet off, of course.

32 minutes ago, Barry Cade said:

Lol, "only" 110bhp. How times have changed. The original "pocket rocket" Golf GTi had "only" 110bhp. 😄

I can't imagine having a bike on PCP. Bikes seem too personal somehow  and renting it with a date to give it back just seems wrong somehow. I get it with cars though. 

There's nothing wrong with it, its just another bike, there is no personal attachment for me, I've had over 40 bikes, it means I get a new bike with all the latest toys with a warranty every 2 or 3 years, this will be my last one on pcp though as I'm fed up of paying for the 6 months of the year I can't or won't ride due to the weather.

2 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

There's nothing wrong with it, its just another bike, there is no personal attachment for me, I've had over 40 bikes, it means I get a new bike with all the latest toys with a warranty every 2 or 3 years, this will be my last one on pcp though as I'm fed up of paying for the 6 months of the year I can't or won't ride due to the weather.

Fair enough,  I just can't get my head around not adding accessories,  watching the mileage, taking it to the dealer for service etc.  A bike to me is my free time, my hobby, my holidays and my buddy. Never thought of any of my bikes as just a piece of machinery. 

Sad, I know. On my phone, there's pictures of my bike, and my dog. 

3 hours ago, Jazoli said:

I'm fed up of paying for the 6 months of the year I can't or won't ride due to the weather.

I used to ride 12 months of the year because it was the quickest way to get to work. Come rain, shine and snow.

Once retired I became a Fair Weather Biker, because I gained no pleasure in riding for fun in the depths or winter. Saying that, I did miss not riding for four months over the winter of 2019/20.

Now I'm living in a warmer, drier climate, riding all year round is back on again. I just hope I'm not one of those that complains "it's too hot" when summer arrives here.

5 hours ago, Fat_Pirate said:

I rented a GS for a weekend and found it a pretty handy weapon on bendy roads, I was surprised (I'd wanted a sports tourer but all they had was this or a Suzuki Intruder).  Did 20 hours in the saddle without any real discomfort, AND it was the only time I've had a woman come up to me and say "cool bike mate".  She'd have run away if I'd taken my helmet off, of course.

We had a couple of R1250RS's at work, which, much as I wanted to dislike it, really grew on me. Did a few 16 hour days in a row without issue. Cruise control and quickshifter were not the gimmicks I thought, especially when having to do 300 miles at 50 mph on one day.

1 minute ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I used to ride 12 months of the year because it was the quickest way to get to work. Come rain, shine and snow.

Once retired I became a Fair Weather Biker, because I gained no pleasure in riding for fun in the depths or winter. Saying that, I did miss not riding for four months over the winter of 2019/20.

Now I'm living in a warmer, drier climate, riding all year round is back on again. I just hope I'm not one of those that complains "it's too hot" when summer arrives here.

Yeah I didn't ride much in summer when I lived near where you are now, it was too bloody hot to wear leather! I remember filling my helmet with cold water then putting it on to try and cool down, I used to get up at 5am to try and beat the heat, i gave up in the end and just did it the Spanish way in jeans, t shirt and gloves and took it easier.

Back here its quicker and easier for me to drive to work so I don't use the bike much and definitely don't ride in the rain or below 10 degrees so living in the North of England opportunities are limited :D

1 minute ago, Jazoli said:

Yeah I didn't ride much in summer when I lived near where you are now, it was too bloody hot to wear leather! I remember filling my helmet with cold water then putting it on to try and cool down, I used to get up at 5am to try and beat the heat, i gave up in the end and just did it the Spanish way in jeans, t shirt and gloves and took it easier.

Back here its quicker and easier for me to drive to work so I don't use the bike much and definitely don't ride in the rain or below 10 degrees so living in the North of England opportunities are limited :D

I have a very heavily perforated jacket with fitted armour and kevlar lined jeans that i wear when its really hot. And i take it easy with that in mind. 

Due to the provincial border controls here, looks like i won't be able to do a track day here until summer, and the thought of wearing leathers then fills me with dread, so I'll wait until late autumn (presuming I'll be able to cross into Murcia by then).

Track day No 5 completed on the Thundertwat . Mallory Park this time . Few issues with a binding front brake despite recently overhauled calipers . Gonna do them again with genuine seals . That’s what sorted the rear one in the end . I guess the tolerances on the pattern ones are a bit tight for the increased heat on track . 
Bone dry and warm al day . Loving picking off newish r6’s esp round the outside of them on Gerrards 😂