The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 3/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, yellowperil said:

My mate had one of those about ten years ago and it blew up.

Even then Honda didn't supply pistons for them unbelievably, for a two stroke.

I remember him searching for months

Eventually I managed to find a second-hand piston and barrel on eBay, they weren't great, but they had to do.

He fitted those and got rid of it, a bloody shame because it was a pretty decent bike, with a fair amount of power and hardly any weight.

I was talking to my nephew on the phone last night, about the old Mtx200 he said it was the first bike he ever rode.

I mentioned the lack of pistons and he did a bit of Googling and found some, it seems someone is manufacturing them again, the listing also mentioned Lambretta's, so that is probably where the market lies.

It was over a decade ago when we were looking for one.

When I was a CBT instructor, as part of my safety talk I used to talk about protective clothing, I knew it would fall on stoney ground a lot of time, especially with the 16 year old lads, but I would try and make it interesting and make them see the point in wearing it.

I used to ask them "what's the first thing you do if you are running along and you trip?"

The answer was generally "You put your hands out."

if there was no answer I would put my hands out in front of me and say "that's what you do, it's instinctive, now imagine doing that at 30mph or more."

I would then talk about all the grit and muck you would get in the wounds in your palms and the unpleasant ways the nurses would deal with it, basically trying to make it sound as unsavoury as possible.

One day I had three sixteen year olds on their first CBT and a thirty something who used to ride in the eighties and now wanted to get his full licence, so was taking his first steps towards that by doing his CBT.

While I was talking I suddenly realised that he had extended both arms out and had his hands on the table, palms upwards and was just looking at the three 16 year olds.

I cottoned on quite quickly.

So I said to him... "You know what I'm talking about from experience, don't you?"

He  replied,  "Yup, RD125LC, no gloves on, when I was 18."

So I let him take over for the next few minutes and he described exactly what it felt like when his hands slapped the hot tarmac, and what it felt like when they were cleaning up the wounds and trying to get all the bits of gravel out in A&E (they failed, there were still a few bits in there, you could feel them), every little detail, right down to going to the toilet with heavily bandaged hands.

I think it was they only time I ever managed to get the message across to everyone.

1 hour ago, AlsoMike said:

Hopefully thats all it is and its not chewed up anything else!

On a more positive note, I bought this a couple of weeks ago to tinker with:

20210312_121523.jpg

I had an old Z400 a few years ago.

It had straight through "silencers" on it, I think they were Dunstall Decibels.

It had a mechanical regulator/ rectifier on it and in pre internet days I couldn't find any parts for it, or even a manual. The Speedo never worked,  but it would buzz along happily flat out as long as my ears could take it.

I used to ride around with a spare battery and swap them over when one went flat.

Couldn't wait to get rid of it especially as it was my only transport and after a year I bought  a 350LC and gave the Zed to my brother.

The funny thing is after I had tidied it up and got rid of the ridiculous rear mudguard for a shorter one, it was a real.looker, I always used to look over my shoulder at it when walking away.

Never liked it when I had it, but for the last few years I wish I still owned it as a second bike.

These days with the internet and a bit more knowledge and money in my pocket it would be fixed and maybe I would enjoy riding it more.

BT cancelled my contract when I moved, so lost access to MotoGP. Found out that Servustv.com in Austria have it showing on free to air all season. That includes practice and qualifying sessions too.

Can either download their app or just go to servustv.com to watch. BUT you will need to have a VPN to show you are in Austria. All legitimate too.

Perfect coverage, commentary is available in English too, using Dorna's own commentators Matt Birt and Steve Day.

front caliper stripped and cleaned - after went to lymm on it to test kriega bag that was bought for a non trip 12 months ago

10 mins - took longer to open garage door and push pistons back after

cba attacking exhaust pipe to get it off for fart cannon

might have a go tomorrow

fart cannon?

no

did this tho

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Adventure-Pannier-Dry-Bags-Medium.html#SID=118

like a kriega but way cheaper - was looking at a sw motech bag which was similar but for yer 50 quid it was only 8 litres

these are 13 and you get a pair - their video on their site is good too unlike the revzilla or most usa ones where theyre shoutly and loud and dont give you the info you want - they also do all sorts of outdoor and watersport equipment so these bags should be no problem

just gotta find somewhere to go to make use of them :D

IMG_20210401_143501_1CS.jpg

On 4/1/2021 at 3:40 PM, hairnet said:

fart cannon?

no

did this tho

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/Motorcycle-Adventure-Pannier-Dry-Bags-Medium.html#SID=118

like a kriega but way cheaper - was looking at a sw motech bag which was similar but for yer 50 quid it was only 8 litres

these are 13 and you get a pair - their video on their site is good too unlike the revzilla or most usa ones where theyre shoutly and loud and dont give you the info you want - they also do all sorts of outdoor and watersport equipment so these bags should be no problem

just gotta find somewhere to go to make use of them :D

IMG_20210401_143501_1CS.jpg

Perfect for the tank rails on my Himalayan. Left one contains tools, jump pack and hi-viz (legal requirement here), right one carries spare innertubes, tyre levers and repair kit, with a little space for more.

20191205_135820.thumb.jpg.c42f9d32c1e52730f2fef9b92f525345.jpg

The old track slag £300 Thundercat has had some love . Replaced the tyres that had done 5 trackdays ( sold em for £50 too ) and got the awful flakey red paint on the wheels taken off and powder coated grey .

Gave the brakes some attention , fitted braided hoses ( bloody awful things to fit - just as I remembered)They never seem to sit right and take far too much twisting to get them to line up . Next time I’ll go for venhill ones you can adjust but this HEL set were cheap on eBay .

Even gave it its second wash in my ownership . 

Mot next week so I can road test before Mallory at the end of the month .

E99B713F-69E1-4C15-ADD3-D705919A306E.jpeg

6E75DBF6-92CD-409E-A1F6-878365D26AF2.jpeg

0CE85D0A-1EE2-4E0C-A7A1-C5D192214F9D.jpeg

656491C6-980E-406A-BA05-BEE91C5B1A45.jpeg

2DC9CEB3-0F22-48F3-8555-73D7BB27685A.jpeg

13 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

Which KE ? 😂

I would be happy with any working  2 stroke😁 

Taking my son's speedfight for its first MOT in 3 years tomorrow. Bought as a non runner in 2019, been a COVID mission for me. It's a 2 stroke version but it's not quite the same. I have had a run on private* land and it appears to be unrestricted which is a bonus.

Did 30 miles on the yellow KE yesterday . Only ride over 2 miles I’ve done on it . Other than the speedo making a screaming noise it was faultless and I really enjoyed it . But a decision has been made . It’s going up for sale !

The missis is scared to use it cos it’s in such nice nick , so I will put some of the money from its sale into the red one to make it more pleasant to ride .

Cant believe I have only just found this thread. Love my bikes!

I submit my shite for disapproval. A 1989 (probably) Suzuki DR600. A big single cylinder thumper with a red line of 6k. I bought it first lockdown after a hiatus of 3 years or so, although Ive been a biker for about 15 years.  Turns out it was an import so no idea on the history although its obviously been styled to look like a 60s scrambler including a totally impractical 5L fuel tank. Its had a frame chop at some point too. Since then ive had to service it, rebuild the carb, front master cylinder, rear caliper, new tyres and inner tubes, new chain & sprocket, cylinder head rebuild and head gasket, weld and fix the exhaust properly, replace the entire indicator circuit after it was clearly wired in by a chimp. Basically I paid too much and it needed loads of work, but I love it!

I have realised how shoddy this picture is but its about all I have...

bike.jpg

Thats it, had enough of the Street Triple now. Sadly, although the engine and chassis are superb, the riding ergonomics for me are crap. It gives me lots of discomfort after about 40 miles, which is hopeless as i hoped to use it for faster, longer runs in preference to the Himalayan.

Selling bikes here in Spain is a bit of an arseache too, so probably easier to trade it in at a dealers. 

I have found a replacement long distance tourer here, but the seller isn't back here from the UK until 24th. Absolute bargain as he is asking UK price and not Spanish price. Not the most exciting of bikes, but gives me the option of looking for something like a CBR 600 for the bendy tarmac roads and also a few trackdays when travel restrictions here are relaxed.

I teresting list of the top 10 selling bikes in Spain in February. I say bikes, but:

1. Kymco Agility City - 565 units

2. Silence S02 - 412 units

3. Honda PCX 125 - 404 units

4. Piaggio Liberty IGET ABS - 341 units

5. Yamaha NMAX 125 - 330 units

6. Honda SH125i - 317 units

7. Kawasaki Z900 - 295 units

8. Yamaha X-MAX 125 - 294 units

9. Piaggio Medley 125 - 245 units

10. Yamaha T-MAX 500 - 242 units

So, only one bike in the top ten. The Silence S02 is a bit of an odd one-an electric scooter-until you realise Madrid and Barcelona have banned petrol and diesel vehicles from parts of their cities, so food delivery riders need something which allows them to cross the cities.

22 hours ago, andyberg said:

I would be happy with any working  2 stroke😁 

Taking my son's speedfight for its first MOT in 3 years tomorrow. Bought as a non runner in 2019, been a COVID mission for me. It's a 2 stroke version but it's not quite the same. I have had a run on private* land and it appears to be unrestricted which is a bonus.

Sons bike failed. Last MOT was in 2016. Rear shock, no damping. Front suspension slightly seized, it's a weird single sided affair, I think it's the bushes. Tiny, and I mean tiny, hole in the exhaust. I really should have noticed that, but could mean acquiring a suitable expansion chamber 😉Nothing major so it's the bay of E to source the required items. 

41 minutes ago, twosmoke300 said:

He sucks the cool right out of motorcycling 

at no stage could he suck anything even remotely

it was mainly because i got home and put tv on and worlds greatest motorcycle rides was on

he was doing new zealand :(

where was i supposed to be 3 weeks ago

Thundercat breezed the mot yesterday and now I have all 4 of my bikes all fully road legal and rideable . That doesn’t happen very often . 
Celebrated by booking another track day , Brands GP , for the end of July 😁

Thats two booked this year so far - would like to do donny again too this year . I think I have a problem