The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

1 hour ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Have any of you seen the fortnine youtube report on 1st oil change quality findings. Royal endield come out very well indeed.

Lots of haters commenting on it. I would imagine from people that have never ridden one, or ever owned a bike.

He does some great scientifically based tests, and the one on batteries saved me from wasting a load of money.

On 3/16/2021 at 9:55 PM, twosmoke300 said:

Good !

This isn't aimed at you at all, just a little rant on general!

I personally always wear gloves, from learnt experience on the push bike hands are a shit part of the body to lose skin off.

However... I'm against compulsion. Letting some touch screen enabled beemer's insurance company off the fact he was busy curating his Duran Duran playlist just as someone's gloves weren't ec 1234567 approved doesn't sit well with me.

They give you a good lecture on your CBT about gear, it's not like there are people riding about who don't know about it so leave em be is my view.

Much more skin would be saved actually doing people on driving while using phones, but it's much easier to blame bike riders for their gear.

Straps on tin foil hat

It's not just one step but only a couple of jumps from compulsory gloves to complusery safety cage with four wheels to stop it falling over.

Banning bikes tomorrow would cut road deaths and cheer up nimbys who moan about bikes speeding everywhere and making a racket.

Phew thank God it's Friday, I need a beer after getting worked up over a problem that I've just invented in my head.

The problem here is that so many bike crashes, even at low speeds, result in nasty hand injuries. From my observations, most bike riders wear gloves, whereas riders of scooters and mopeds don't. 

I have always worn gloves following a crash, aged 14, when four of us fell off the C90 we were all on. It was on a disused railway line, and I was picking out tiny bits of gravel from my palms for weeks.

32 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

This isn't aimed at you at all, just a little rant on general!

I personally always wear gloves, from learnt experience on the push bike hands are a shit part of the body to lose skin off.

However... I'm against compulsion. Letting some touch screen enabled beemer's insurance company off the fact he was busy curating his Duran Duran playlist just as someone's gloves weren't ec 1234567 approved doesn't sit well with me.

They give you a good lecture on your CBT about gear, it's not like there are people riding about who don't know about it so leave em be is my view.

Much more skin would be saved actually doing people on driving while using phones, but it's much easier to blame bike riders for their gear.

Straps on tin foil hat

It's not just one step but only a couple of jumps from compulsory gloves to complusery safety cage with four wheels to stop it falling over.

Banning bikes tomorrow would cut road deaths and cheer up nimbys who moan about bikes speeding everywhere and making a racket.

Phew thank God it's Friday, I need a beer after getting worked up over a problem that I've just invented in my head.

My personal opinion is crash helmets should not be compulsory.  Yes the benefits are self evident and given a choice to wear one or not I would wear one most of the time, but why should the state arbitrarily dictate bikers wear one.

One of the usual responses is NHS resources, my reply to that would be contact sports or dangerous sports (rock climbing, hand gliding etc) haven't had state intervention

30 minutes ago, Flashband said:

My personal opinion is crash helmets should not be compulsory.  Yes the benefits are self evident and given a choice to wear one or not I would wear one most of the time, but why should the state arbitrarily dictate bikers wear one.

One of the usual responses is NHS resources, my reply to that would be contact sports or dangerous sports (rock climbing, hand gliding etc) haven't had state intervention

Ok then, I've never heard anything so ridiculous personally.

5 minutes ago, Flashband said:

I see it as a matter of choice

There is no choice, not wearing a helmet is probably the most stupid one you can make, my cousin fell off his pushbike at 5mph and cracked his head wide open, he now lives in a wheelchair and was lucky to live, on the other hand my daughter fell off her pushbike on a rocky trail, she smashed her head into a rock and left an ostrich egg sized dent in her helmet, she walked away (she sustained other injuries but was ambulatory), without the helmet she was wearing she'd have been dead, so I'm speaking from experience and not being sensationalist.

Your head your choice, its an easy way to spot the muppets :D

I also believe gloves should be compulsory PPE on a motorcycle btw

I find it difficult to understand not wanting to wear a crash helmet, on any two wheeled thing,  bicycles and electric scooters included  , plus gloves !

Here in italy it makes me cringe the complete lack of glove wearing on bikes (motor), i understand it in summer as it is baking hot but the standard of car driving terrifies me, especially in towns, there must be loads of italians with scarred hands !

Even on a moped, helmet and gloves always is my motto.

Sometimes free choice  needs to be taken away !

numerous things in at least the last 20 years of in the usa at least

people dying cos of no requirement for helmets (in certain states)

https://abcnews.go.com/US/york-rider-dies-protesting-motorcycle-helmet-law/story?id=13993417

where doctors have said after if theyd worn one thered be no victim

There is also a push to get riders to wear air vests/jackets too.

All well and good , but you are looking at £400 plus for even the most basic vest.

Can anyone tell me why air vests (such as the Helite) are subject to VAT in the UK? It's a safety product, and hardly something you would put on for a night down the pub. The VAT adds nearly £100 to the price. Scandalous.

Speaking from personal experience I'd say you have to be nuts if you don't want to wear a helmet. I had a dozy bint pull out in front of me and stop. With nowhere to go I laid my bike down and went along the tarmac on my arse and body slammed lengthways down the side of her vw. Amongst my injuries was my jaw broken in six places, 5 teeth out, nose hanging off, lip hanging off, the helmet had to be cut off my head because it had gone sideways with my face inside it. It was a brand new Shoei £300+ (1997) full face helmet that probably saved my life. I was only doing 30 mph. I have a pin and three plates holding my face together, a fucked jaw and teeth and head problems. 

Don't be a dick, wear a lid. You might not appreciate your own life but I'm sure your family and friends might. 

On 3/16/2021 at 11:46 PM, Barry Cade said:

Spotted this today.. had to stop for a pic. Didnt ask the price though!..

20210316_125738.jpg

My mate had one of those about ten years ago and it blew up.

Even then Honda didn't supply pistons for them unbelievably, for a two stroke.

I remember him searching for months

Eventually I managed to find a second-hand piston and barrel on eBay, they weren't great, but they had to do.

He fitted those and got rid of it, a bloody shame because it was a pretty decent bike, with a fair amount of power and hardly any weight.

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

There is also a push to get riders to wear air vests/jackets too.

All well and good , but you are looking at £400 plus for even the most basic vest.

Can anyone tell me why air vests (such as the Helite) are subject to VAT in the UK? It's a safety product, and hardly something you would put on for a night down the pub. The VAT adds nearly £100 to the price. Scandalous.

Same reason why sanitary pads are subject to VAT.... Because they are

15 hours ago, Flashband said:

If you want to organise rock climbing, through a club, through a climbing centre you will need insurance. The requirements of that insurance dictate a level of training and PPE for those in charge and those participating. 

With rock climbing there are risks associated with your own ability, with the suitability of the equipment and the unknowns of the rock face. That does not stop accidents, but then again, nobody tried to pull out in front of a moving climber in a  pink.metro from a side road, with the excuse "Sorry mate I didn't see you" 

It would be almost impossible to police.  

In this country at least,I'd want a helmet solely to keep the weather out,let alone the obvious safety reasons.i wear gloves 99% of the time,but will admit on the on or two scorchin days of the year to nipping out to the shop without.I had a 50mph off after hitting a dead deer,and aside from an eye injury,was lucky to not break or rash anything,for the record I was wearing a budget (but ACU gold) helmet,40 year old German police leather jacket,ex army goretex over trousers,Derri boots and polish police gauntlets.

2 hours ago, plasticvandan said:

In this country at least,I'd want a helmet solely to keep the weather out,let alone the obvious safety reasons.i wear gloves 99% of the time,but will admit on the on or two scorchin days of the year to nipping out to the shop without.I had a 50mph off after hitting a dead deer,and aside from an eye injury,was lucky to not break or rash anything,for the record I was wearing a budget (but ACU gold) helmet,40 year old German police leather jacket,ex army goretex over trousers,Derri boots and polish police gauntlets.

Anything covering the skin will save the immediate loss of skin when hitting the tarmac, even Derri boots!

Finally got to take the two KE’s out together . Missis took the yellow one and did really well. She hasn’t ridden for years and was super nervous . Bike was a bit tall for her too . Going to go from a 4.00 18 to a 3.50 18 rear tyre to lower it a bit for her . Also got a spare seat which I will chop down 

FF1C9CD9-BF31-4439-B41F-49AE3E985113.jpeg

My SV disgraced itself at the weekend, seems like something major has happened with the gearbox or clutch. I was merrily blatting along and it made a screeching/crunching noise and then the engine cut out. I coasted to a stop and got off the road ok, but now while it will start it wont go in gear or roll freely... Not taken clutch cover off yet, not sure I want to.

20 minutes ago, AlsoMike said:

My SV disgraced itself at the weekend, seems like something major has happened with the gearbox or clutch. I was merrily blatting along and it made a screeching/crunching noise and then the engine cut out. I coasted to a stop and got off the road ok, but now while it will start it wont go in gear or roll freely... Not taken clutch cover off yet, not sure I want to.

Oh dear, parts are cheap and plentiful thankfully, it sounds like the clutch basket has disintegrated.