The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

Valve was out, I wasn't using a ratchet strap, I don't have a compressor any more (did have until recently but sold as it was in the shed never used.)

I was thinking about going out and buying a compressor earlier but instead scored some free fire extinguishers, emptied out this one and bodged a valve in the hose.

80psi with my track pump in the fire extinguisher and on she popped. 

IMG_20210312_142432.thumb.jpg.69353feda14aab22217141bd0e322fbe.jpg

Still a lot of work to pump the bastard up to pressure so will be keeping an eye out for a compressor in the long term I think.

I can't take credit for the original idea as I saw it online as a way to seat push iron tubeless tyres.

Just got lucky seeing the extinguishers today just as they were listed and for free as well.

Also got 2 CO2 ones which I will actually keep in my workshop in case of fire, which I hear they are also handy for.

I put the 14 year old Tourances on my spoked  wheels on the Vstrom on Monday. Had a proper sweat on, its hard work! Had to break the beads with the focus towbar and jack. Never balanced bike tyres and never noticed any difference. The old tourances were as soft and supple as the 2 year old ones that came off. Will report back if I don't crash at the first corner. 

Pre season prep begins ! New tyres and get the wheels painted back to original colours first . 
Will be selling the part worn tyres of anyone needs any . Bt016pros . Not many miles ( will check later ) but a few trackdays so you can look like a hero with the bobbled edges .

120 60 17 and 160 60 17 

£50 ?

82C56225-FD6C-484E-8FA9-80D8692B3B31.jpeg

On 3/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, Cavcraft said:

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

Today it was time to get the AP50 (or A50P, as I think the non-UK European ones were called) 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:21 PM, Cavcraft said:

May be an image of motorcycle and outdoors

My first bike at 16 was a 1975 A50 mk2, No pedals, just pegs, smaller tank, speedo moulded into headlight, top speed just over 60, eventually swapped it out to a A100 engine, no faster😕

4 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

My first bike at 16 was a 1975 A50 mk2, No pedals, just pegs, smaller tank, speedo moulded into headlight, top speed just over 60, eventually swapped it out to a A100 engine, no faster😕

identical to mine.

Ah, those were the days...song in there somewhere.

2 hours ago, brandersnatch said:

I loved the Niken I rode a while ago. The odd thing is that it doesn’t feel odd. Good choice. Looks great in that colour too. 

i took my NC to work this morning - nearly ran off of the road on the first bend, as it steers very lazily compared to the niken.

Took one of my bikes for a MOT on Friday and it was a bit of a shocker how un-bikefit I've become.  All my kit felt really heavy too, probably as I've spent months just bumming around the house wearing a t-shirt and jeans.  And it rained.  Then hailed.  But it was GOOD.

After 10 consecutive days redecorating my house, I decided enough was enough for now. The sun was shining so I went out on the Enfield, hopeful that I would get the smell of paint out of my nostrils.

Had a great run zig zagging across the country to the coast, using a quite a few unpaved roads for good measure. Even stopped for lunch.

20210315_164746.thumb.jpg.e5e9f8c4d87201721b0f33900258911f.jpg

IMG-20210315-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.c7b1c40a2ad761ce9aa2a4dcd9cb4bf2.jpeg

Car needs its ITV (MOT) tomorrow, and some essential gardening needed, so decorating on the back burner for another couple of days at least.

7 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

After 10 consecutive days redecorating my house, I decided enough was enough for now. The sun was shining so I went out on the Enfield, hopeful that I would get the smell of paint out of my nostrils.

Had a great run zig zagging across the country to the coast, using a quite a few unpaved roads for good measure. Even stopped for lunch.

20210315_164746.thumb.jpg.e5e9f8c4d87201721b0f33900258911f.jpg

IMG-20210315-WA0001.thumb.jpeg.c7b1c40a2ad761ce9aa2a4dcd9cb4bf2.jpeg

Car needs its ITV (MOT) tomorrow, and some essential gardening needed, so decorating on the back burner for another couple of days at least.

That looks horrible mate. I can tell you’re missing the charms of the A12. 

I think that Royal Enfield are the oldest company still manufacturing bikes.

I have a Guzzi and an Enfield (although both modern models),  and still surprised how many slag them off without ever riding one (or possibly even owning a bike at all). They don't get to where they are by producing rubbish.

48 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I think that Royal Enfield are the oldest company still manufacturing bikes.

I have a Guzzi and an Enfield (although both modern models),  and still surprised how many slag them off without ever riding one (or possibly even owning a bike at all). They don't get to where they are by producing rubbish.

Pedant mode on - technically speaking the Royal Enfield company  in existence today was founded in 1955 as a subsidiary of the now long gone UK company. It does have links back to 1901 but I'm not sure if it falls into my 'continuous' proviso. - pedant mode off.

But I agree about bar room critics who are the sort of people who think a Hardly Dangerous is the peak of motorcycle technology/cool, who repeat what their anonymous mate said/what they read in Bike magazine in 1974. The bollocks about Italian electrics for example, or Royal Oilfields are incontinent are just some of the old hoary chestnuts they churn out.

2 hours ago, martc said:

Pedant mode on - technically speaking the Royal Enfield company  in existence today was founded in 1955 as a subsidiary of the now long gone UK company. It does have links back to 1901 but I'm not sure if it falls into my 'continuous' proviso. - pedant mode off.

But I agree about bar room critics who are the sort of people who think a Hardly Dangerous is the peak of motorcycle technology/cool, who repeat what their anonymous mate said/what they read in Bike magazine in 1974. The bollocks about Italian electrics for example, or Royal Oilfields are incontinent are just some of the old hoary chestnuts they churn out.

The pedant mode is most welcome, and I have looked again and you are right. So I've told myself ner-ner-ne-ner-ner for that.

I have toured extensively all over Europe on my Guzzi (right down to Greece) and it's been reliable. Only issue I have had was burning the clutch out when stuck in sand, but instead of getting it done, I nursed it for another 6000 miles. So bye bye flywheel.

10,000 kms on the Enfield now, and apart from knackering the (rubbish) battery by leaving the USB I fitted on, its needed nothing.

It's really annoying that there are a lot of haters for Enfield, mostly from those that have never ever ridden one, such as many of the vloggers on YouTube.

At least the bikes I slag off I have at least owned.

1 hour ago, martc said:

image.png.33fc13061a95a5ebe3b04623e16eabea.png

'El uso del casco no fue obligatorio en España hasta 1989. Que ir sin él era peligroso no se discute'.

The use of the helmet was not compulsory in Spain until 1989. That going without it was dangerous was not discussed .

Great photo. 

Soon it will be compulsory to wear gloves when riding.