The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

2 hours ago, hairnet said:

Bottom

Status

Hopefully comfy

Screenshot_20210306-144300.png

I got one of those for my NC when I had it. It was more comfortable, but not spectacularly so  and the line of stitching on the front one didn't align with the back one, soz for the less than encouraging news, but everyone's arses are different so the proof of the pudding is in the sitting.

Things are looking a bit more hopeful on the C1 front today... the Owners' Forum finally got rid of the broken Captcha that stopped me joining so I was able to post there last night. By this morning, thanks to the good people therein I had annotated wiring schematics and photos of the engine bay of a non-fucked about C1 for comparison purposes. Nice folks.

c1.thumb.jpeg.ada9f4950d7bbc74ebb3510d023d888c.jpeg

I thanked them profusely... at least I stand a chance of fixing this mess now!

On 3/6/2021 at 6:59 PM, strangeangel said:

@UltraWomble here's my Velosolex, it's a 1964 2200 model. Original paint and everything!

52171126_WhatsAppImage2020-08-15at12_30_25.thumb.jpeg.d0d0ea6093756400b7e657d910130305.jpeg

That looks like enormous fun to wobble home from the pub* approved non alcoholic beverage serving social venue, on

20 hours ago, Joey spud said:

20210304_133919.thumb.jpg.a17c7565004843609f9856ac9d51df89.jpg

Ever wondered where all the old "leccy" scooters go to after their lease is up ?

East Grinstead.

I'll echo the sentiments - seems like a waste. Im assuming the lease company at some point will dispose of them en mass via the auctions or some such?

2 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Fucking hell, what a waste.  Are all those leccy scooters knackered?

I see your Spidey senses twitching....

And in other news....

Fresh MOT on the Lead. Needs a tyre though. 

Untitled.png

3 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

Fucking hell, what a waste.  Are all those leccy scooters knackered?

I'm guessing some will be bolloxed, others maybe still OK and they'll all get punted through the local auction house for not much dosh... I could spend a happy hour or two in there with some spanners trying to make one good one out of the wreckage!

for sale

nc700x pillion seat  - chap i bought from said he had it on nc750x

shad gel version

i dont carry pillions and i bought this with the front which is the only bit i want

it also has nc700 embroidered  into it so im def not fitting it :D

who said they had one here?

pics when i go back down stairs :D

IMG_20210310_181701_125.jpg

IMG_20210310_181709_974.jpg

IMG_20210310_181721_025.jpg

Are any of you lot tight enough to change your own tyres, and if so do you balance them?

Have got a 12" tyre here for the rear of my new scooter, was going to get the levers out and do it myself as I had read that you don't really need to bother with bike tyres. But it has quite a few weights on the old wheel?

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Are any of you lot tight enough to change your own tyres, and if so do you balance them?

Have got a 12" tyre here for the rear of my new scooter, was going to get the levers out and do it myself as I had read that you don't really need to bother with bike tyres. But it has quite a few weights on the old wheel?

I've tried, and while it's OK with a Cub or some such, changing anything 12" or less is a bastard IME. I ruined one Metzeler trying to do the 10" rear on one of my Helixes, and used a garage thereafter. I always get them balanced as - to my mind -  they get out of shape just like a car wheel can, except of course you've only got one at each end.

I know people who don't bother, and they're not dead, but then neither am I and I'm not prepared to change my stance in the absence of a considerably larger focus group than me and my M8s.

Is this one of those Vespas?

I've tried, and while it's OK with a Cub or some such, changing anything 12" or less is a bastard IME. I ruined one Metzeler trying to do the 10" rear on one of my Helixes, and used a garage thereafter. I always get them balanced as - to my mind -  they get out of shape just like a car wheel can, except of course you've only got one at each end.

I know people who don't bother, and they're not dead, but then neither am I and I'm not prepared to change my stance in the absence of a considerably larger focus group than me and my M8s.

Have you got those Vespas yet??

Yeah the tyre is for the GTS250, I put some pictures in my thread.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

I have changed bike tyres regularly. Some are a pain some are a breeze (relatively) smaller is usually harder. Never had a single wheel balanced to my knowledge?  By that I mean I have never taken one to be done. I can't comment about the rf600 I had as it had new tyres when I got it and it got written off before they died.

I should also mention most of the bikes I have owned have had spoked wheels. Maybe mags need more of a balance but I assume from factory they must be pretty good. 

Right the tyre is on at least. 

IMG_20210311_204054.thumb.jpg.9f42eb0d42890fd976f4039f790132a5.jpg

It was quite hard work so I can see how a 10" wheel would be almost impossible.

I've left the weights on it as they were opposite the valve so maybe they are balancing the wheel more than the tyre? It's a Michelin POWAH pure SC which didn't have a spot on for the light bit, some reading suggests that Michelin don't put dots on any more, maybe tyres come better balanced than they used to?

Anyway one thing I did learn is you can't seat a tyre like this with a footpump, no matter how hard you pump.

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Right the tyre is on at least. 

IMG_20210311_204054.thumb.jpg.9f42eb0d42890fd976f4039f790132a5.jpg

It was quite hard work so I can see how a 10" wheel would be almost impossible.

I've left the weights on it as they were opposite the valve so maybe they are balancing the wheel more than the tyre? It's a Michelin POWAH pure SC which didn't have a spot on for the light bit, some reading suggests that Michelin don't put dots on any more, maybe tyres come better balanced than they used to?

Anyway one thing I did learn is you can't seat a tyre like this with a footpump, no matter how hard you pump.

Oh you can. Washing up liquid and a brave pill. Don't stop till she pops. 

26 minutes ago, tom13 said:

Oh you can. Washing up liquid and a brave pill. Don't stop till she pops. 

Inspired by these words I had another go but it's nowhere near, the most I can manhandle the tyre onto the bead is about 60% of one side and I just think the air is leaking out as fast as I can put it in, the tyre is quite small and stiff. Needs a big burst of air at once to get it over the line I think.

14 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Inspired by these words I had another go but it's nowhere near, the most I can manhandle the tyre onto the bead is about 60% of one side and I just think the air is leaking out as fast as I can put it in, the tyre is quite small and stiff. Needs a big burst of air at once to get it over the line I think.

Have you got a compressor? You're welcome to borrow mine if not.

14 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Ratchet strap around the circumference if you have one or some rope and a stick to tighten it.