The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

On 2/9/2021 at 12:20 PM, martc said:

Grom chat - have you thought about a Benelli TnT 125? From the same mould, but cheaper by £1500, and less likely to attract scrotes (?).

image.thumb.png.2d96adcb443f67154268d897903f452a.png

https://www.benelli.co.uk/new-bikes/bike/2020-benelli-tnt-125cc-571

I have one of these. picked it up at about 6 months old for £1500.

pros - cheaper than a grom, approx 90+mpg (im 100kg and managed that real world), tyres are cheap (ditch the stadard tyres, theyre deadly in the wet), great fun, easy to ride.

cons - upgrade parts availability is not as good as the Grom, but still ok if you can wait. stock gearing is not great for the heavier rider, but an £8 front sprocket change will see you topping out every gear with ease, and still hitting approx 65 in top.

i love it as a quick, fun alternative to the Mille it shares a driveway with. it's not as fast as a cbr125, but makes me smile every time i ride it.  it WILL make your arse tingle after 30+mins of riding lol

7 hours ago, groovylee said:

I have one of these. picked it up at about 6 months old for £1500.

pros - cheaper than a grom, approx 90+mpg (im 100kg and managed that real world), tyres are cheap (ditch the stadard tyres, theyre deadly in the wet), great fun, easy to ride.

cons - upgrade parts availability is not as good as the Grom, but still ok if you can wait. stock gearing is not great for the heavier rider, but an £8 front sprocket change will see you topping out every gear with ease, and still hitting approx 65 in top.

i love it as a quick, fun alternative to the Mille it shares a driveway with. it's not as fast as a cbr125, but makes me smile every time i ride it.  it WILL make your arse tingle after 30+mins of riding lol

65 isn't bad going. How heavy are you?

bike memories.

rode a cub 50 to school and back fromage 15. i was a bit if a wrong un. 

fitted knobblys and de plasticked it, and added a high rise zorst. swapped it age 17 for a shagged 76 dt250 in bits. 

built it and painted it fluro orange. sold to a mate age 18 after getting my first car. 

i owned a zxr750, 93 model for all of 4 weeks till muthasloth saw it and preceeded to belt me with a spatula till i promosed to sell it. i was 20....

unclesloth rode a zzr1100 then a thundercat v twin. 

t'other unclesloth had a 1958 triumph t110. loved that bike. was just perfect. 

37 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

s-l1600.jpg

Im bidding on this Froggy registered maxi scoot - no paperwork ( so might be nicked) assuming its legit - how much of an arse ache is it likely to be to get onto UK plates?

not sure about how you go sorting the lack of a NOVA, (but im sure theres ways of doing so, I know it has been done in the past!)

but on the actual registration side, if you dont have the french equivalent of its V5, then its just simply a case of proving its age to the DVLA, either via a Dating letter from an approved club or directly from the manufacturer

then its just a case of filling out a V55/5 paying all the fees and bobs your uncle (being a modern thing you might need to put it through an MOT tho)

but as you say the lack of paper work is a bit concerning do check its not stolen!

(not sure how the french registration system works, but I wonder if you can call up and check, since it still has a reg plate at least)

Potentially you could be looking at paying VAT on the value of the bike to get it on the NOVA database. Once on NOVA it's a relatively simple job to get it registered, as LBF says it's a dating certificate and a V55/5 form. Expect to pay in the region of £50 for a dating certificate on top of the (IIRC) £55 registration fee to DVLA.

To be honest for something like that I'd be looking to buy a frame with logbook or a scrap bike with logbook from ebay and use the French bike as a parts donor. For something relatively modern without paperwork and not on NOVA then jumping through the hoops and paying the fees to get a UK plate just isn't really worth it in my opinion.

1 hour ago, UltraWomble said:

Im bidding on this Froggy registered maxi scoot - no paperwork ( so might be nicked) assuming its legit - how much of an arse ache is it likely to be to get onto UK plates?

What is it - SH300? NOVA isn't the problem it once was, even if the bike is already in the UK. However, I suspect that is under 10 years old, in which case you might end up paying tax on it. Then you're looking at £55 plus whatever it costs to get the dating letter/certificate that you'll need in order to convince DVLA to give it a UK registration, plus the cost of a new number plate.

I would agree with blackboilersuit - it's a lot of ballache for a daily hack. If it can be had super cheap, then his suggestion of getting a wrecked one and doing a bit of jiggery pokery would be the way to go iMO.

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

What is it - SH300?

NOVA isn't the problem it once was, even if the bike is already in the UK.

Even better - a Kymco People GT300 from 2014! Not a common bike in the UK to start with!

EDIT - Im not actually convinced its a 300 - its the People" S" which comes in 50, 125, 150,. 200, 250 and 300cc variants - and this one from a bit of googling looks closest to a 125cc version with its plastics.

KYMCO-People-S-125-480_1.thumb.jpg.f83d9d417907a8b9fa87f6bfc1220fe3.jpg

125 factory fresh

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.9e880c198fde2a9a8268694b26fa1a5a.jpg

The one Im high bidder on....

kymco_people_kymco_people_200_gti_2016_euro3_accessoriato_rif_12660440_2260051578145613531.jpg.344fb20b4e212a2cd11d3f80e82a231d.jpg

And a 300 cc....

6 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

s-l1600.jpg

I had ab italian reg kymco people 200i. Actually a 163cc.

Check carefully the inside of petrol tank, if in tank petrol pump is showing signs of uncleanness be prepared for cost of new one,  i paid €200 for pump and a day fitting it myself.

That one with twin front disks is a 300cc. Lesser ccs have single front disk.  Very similar to Honda sh300, kymco is very nippy ! But suspension is pretty hard.

Be aware it is possible to lock yourself out of a scooter !.  Open seat , put scooter keys under seat then sit on it .

I think kymco scooters are well made and mechanically  survive just as long as honda here in italy.

Digging through some old photos, taken about 30 years ago, i was already living the dream, wish i still had the mini, c90 and z650. I paid £50 for the mini , £20 for the c90 and the yamaha 750 was free. the z650 cost a fair bit more.

i feel sorry for mum and dad, the mini i hand painted A team van style. shame i can't find a pic.

20200421_145148.thumb.jpg.a53d67953d8235558f8e9b05b77f20e0.jpg

How much slop/slack/clatter should there be on discs? My SV has developed a bit of a clunk under braking and under light braking some fairly chatty chatter. I've just taken the calipers off and move all the pistons around (they are non-opposing twin pots) and one piston was slightly less excited to appear than its partner. Cleaned all that up so they are now ok, greased pins, backs of pads the usual stuff.

But

If i move the disc against its carrier there is a fair amount of movement both laterally and back-and-forth. A lot more than the other side. It makes the same clanky noise as the i get whilst riding.

The sloppy side i can freely rotate and push the rivets about. The other side i can just about rotate the rivets in place by there isn't any play in them.

Knackered disc?

if theyre floaters (not one piece) the bobbins do clink a little but the noise or movement shouldnt be like it sounds its gonna fall off - if they move with hand pressure then fcuk them off

like a worn susp bush clonks - a little isnt so bad a lot means fix it

if its clonking at gentle braking id be looking at fresh ones

https://www.triumphrat.net/threads/clunk-when-front-brakes-applied.118074/

On 2/17/2021 at 9:20 PM, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Digging through some old photos, taken about 30 years ago, i was already living the dream, wish i still had the mini, c90 and z650. I paid £50 for the mini , £20 for the c90 and the yamaha 750 was free. the z650 cost a fair bit more.

i feel sorry for mum and dad, the mini i hand painted A team van style. shame i can't find a pic.

Was the 750 the 'SE' or 'US Custom'? I'd love one of them in any cc format.

Taxed the Burg(er)man 400 yesterday and went for a cheeky spin. F*ck me, that thing can move for a heavy old scooter. Only did about 2 miles tops, it's supposed to start 'getting warm' after 10 miles, and as there's no centre stand I can't leave it ticking over for ages to see what happens, as it's got a side stand inhibitor switch. Obvs. like the best thing would be an actual ten mile ride but either time is tight or it's too cold/wet/CBA.

I might just weigh up if the engine will drop into a Scomadi, an early TL with 125 stickers and 'L' plates would be a right laugh.

I do fancy a maxi scooter. Bloody everywhere in Europe. Fast, comfy and quite good rain protection. 

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

Taxed the Burg(er)man 400 yesterday and went for a cheeky spin. F*ck me, that thing can move for a heavy old scooter. Only did about 2 miles tops, it's supposed to start 'getting warm' after 10 miles, and as there's no centre stand I can't leave it ticking over for ages to see what happens, as it's got a side stand inhibitor switch. Obvs. like the best thing would be an actual ten mile ride but either time is tight or it's too cold/wet/CBA.

I might just weigh up if the engine will drop into a Scomadi, an early TL with 125 stickers and 'L' plates would be a right laugh.

Just now, andyberg said:

I do fancy a maxi scooter. Bloody everywhere in Europe. Fast, comfy and quite good rain protection. 

They do seem to have a lot. The screen seemed good even for someone of my height, plus the hand protectors are a nice touch.

Ok, long post warning.

TLDR version - Flashband gets pissed off

I used to have a friend, a close friend who happened to save my life in a very direct way. I would not be drunkly typing this if it wasent for her actions 

Any how's, post episode years later her partner and me retrieved a very sentimental bike to her from her ex partner.

20190711_190447.jpg

Cont

I agreed to store it with her partner claiming he would restore it.

This bike dates back from the AWOL days of the 90s and while I'm not stirring shit (other than me no one in this equation is likely to view this forum or our slightly deranged half cousins) anyone on the bike scene from that period in the derbs area associated with PIL will recognise it.

Gave partner keys to my workshop and told him use anything you can use or find in it.

Cont.

3 years later, not a sign and I'm selling the house.

My lad and me pushed a 70s 550 6 miles to where we were moving to due to lack of van and skintness.

Got in touch with matey, what do you want to do about this then to be met with silence.

Another 2 years passes and this shed ain't getting any better. 

My dark side says, push the POS on to the kerb with free scrap sign on it. I remember she saved my life and start having an investigatory prod.

Oh, fucking, dear.

Frame rotten as a pear, whole under side of frame gone, check out the picture 

Strip out revealed only useable parts to be

Engine and carbs

Petrol Tank

And that's fucking it

20190731_184046.jpg

I decided without expecting a round of applause to resurrect this POS cos you know she saved my life. Please realise the only contact I have with her at this date is through her partner. I get in tough give him the good* news and tell him this POS will live again cos I know the sentimental value it holds

20190903_173350.jpg

20190915_152749.jpg

20191106_183844.jpg

20200421_183422.jpg