The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I bought some bargainous Givi side cases from @pilninggas, so I spent a very pleasant, sunny day off today on the driveway fitting them to the DN.  All went well, up to the point that I realised the rear rack was for a Monolock case, and mine's a Monokey (or the other way round, I always get them mixed up), but a couple of bits of flat bar solved that problem.

dn1.thumb.jpeg.e24fbf97eef76b478718416fddf3465b.jpeg

dn2.thumb.jpeg.afcb5b1e6a64265c22c72d63f5f93f82.jpeg

Pleased with that; they'll be very useful when we're actually allowed to go out again!

On 1/18/2021 at 10:45 PM, Minimad5 said:

On the subject of bikes, I rather foolishly been using mine in the rain etc, got straight in to dry off and get changed BUT didn't dry the bike.

So now have very small rust spots on the exhaust silencer and pipe itself, with a load of grubby stains all over.

How is best to remove said rust and stains ? (Looking to buy something to protect it too - ACF50 or similar)

Bike cleaning and protection advice greatly recieved.

I moved to Spain.

Hello chaps , thought I would share the rebirth of an amazing piece of soviet two stroke bike shite with you, spent a  fair bit of lockdown time, fitting a new loom, left and right switchgear, coil, voltage rectifier, indicator relay and repro rusky indicators. It is a rare old beast in the UK, IZH Springbok 350 single cylinder, ankle breaker to start and so tall that I have to stand on a milk crate to get on it........

On 1/11/2021 at 9:52 PM, hairnet said:

2021-honda-ct125-hunter-cub.jpg

i want to buy one of these

the only thing i want is the cross brace on the bars and the rack thing above the headlight

when i found out how much the exhaust was 😮

when the big bore kit cost 1/3 that (and 50 quid to fit)

@Conan can you help :Dbow.gif

as an update

he only thing i want is the cross brace on the bars and the rack thing above the headlight - bought :D

when i found out how much the exhaust was 😮

when the big bore kit cost 1/3 that (and 50 quid to fit) been looking and takegawa 143cc kit supplied here in england

£1200 !!!!!!!!! 😮

https://www.takegawauk.co.uk/product-page/takegawa-e-stage-143cc-kit-inc-34mm-throttle-body-125-monkey-2018-2020

wtf is up with that!!!

also exhaust - there are yoshi and moriwaki and another ive not heard of

between 210 and 250 quid !!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!

eek - people in usa have been putting cbr 250 engines in groms :D if they fit those they fit ct also :D (frame is mostly the same) - it would be cheaper to buy a smashed 250

Had to nip into town to go to the bank, so the Honda got it's first proper run out. It held back/bogged down a little under load in second, but also mostly top gear. I don't think it's anything too worrying, but there is definitely (drive) chain slap  when slowing down, so will have to try and adjust it and see about having a new chain or links removed if that doesn't work.

Image may contain: tree, motorcycle, sky and outdoor

The choke is shit, but that's not too much of an issue as can hold it by hand for the few seconds it's needed when cold, but it's over-revving slightly at times, so if not left in gear there's the worry of it lurching forward when first is selected. Left a decent gap between the cars in front when stopped in traffic!

My NC failed the MOT earlier - both discs warped - which i knew.

Usually i sort this stuff myself, but the MOT bloke, who is fantastic, said he is very quiet, so i have given the work to him.

Only fair in these times, my job is secure, so seems reasonable to support local business.

On 1/26/2021 at 10:03 PM, RED2stroke said:

s a rare old beast in the UK, IZH Springbok 350 single cylinder, ankle breaker to start and so tall that I have to stand on a milk crate to get on it........

A rare old thing indeed, and ace. I had an IZH Planeta combo, it had an earlier version of the same engine. It is indeed an ankle breaker, and in my case, ankle trapper as you needed to kick through the scaffolding attaching the sidecar - a problem with RHD fitted 'cars.

I found the only reliable way to start it was squirting some Easy Start down the air filter. If you got it wrong it would back firing spectacularly, sometimes so spectacularly that it would blow the baffles out. Good times.

7 hours ago, martc said:

A rare old thing indeed, and ace. I had an IZH Planeta combo, it had an earlier version of the same engine. It is indeed an ankle breaker, and in my case, ankle trapper as you needed to kick through the scaffolding attaching the sidecar - a problem with RHD fitted 'cars.

I found the only reliable way to start it was squirting some Easy Start down the air filter. If you got it wrong it would back firing spectacularly, sometimes so spectacularly that it would blow the baffles out. Good times.

I  can't imagine how hard it must have been to try and fire up with a side car in the way, I also have a Planeta and a Jupiter 91 and 92 vintage respectively, I will see if I can drag them out and let you listen to the 2 stroke symphony. As you will know they aren't exactly lightweights and if they start to fall over it's best to let them go rather than being catapulted 10 feet into the air as you try and stop them.

IMG_20200611_163420.jpg

Getting withdrawal symptoms, I've not ridden a bike this year yet. Last time was a run out on the SV just before Christmas. Hoping the weather drys up a bit soon as I want to use it to go to work.

Keep looking at the 650GS and wondering whether to sell it, its a cracking bike but realistically I don't use it much now - it's done 100 miles since MoT 4 months ago. 

My bikes are pretty much laid up, have been all year really, the same as everyone else. And I miss riding them. Yes I know it seems a waste BUT I know I would instantly regret selling them if and when we are allowed out again. I had an ex that completely disapproved of bikes and I didn't realise how much I missed one until I got myself the CB250. Its not fast but you simply cannot beat the feeling of riding on a warm day. Gentlemen keep your bikes you will regret selling them. Whilst they are in the shed/garage life is good 😁

On 26/01/2021 at 10:03 PM, RED2stroke said:

Hello chaps , thought I would share the rebirth of an amazing piece of soviet two stroke bike shite with you, spent a  fair bit of lockdown time, fitting a new loom, left and right switchgear, coil, voltage rectifier, indicator relay and repro rusky indicators. It is a rare old beast in the UK, IZH Springbok 350 single cylinder, ankle breaker to start and so tall that I have to stand on a milk crate to get on it........

Very nice, love a good ring ding ding 😂 As I have said before I have a strong urge for a Soviet 2 stroke, but they keep getting more and more pricy, ho hum...

QZvPfZC.jpg

knackered shitta was dragging front brake so pulled caliper off and wazzed pistons with brake cleaner to free it off - back oddly was ok - couldnt find allen keys to get slider pin out for a clean and lube tho

took longer to get tools than to do it :D cleaned lubed chain also - bike needs a clean really but cba - might get one at work when the machine isnt used now its light in the afternoons

and no the bike isnt there at this moment :D

18 hours ago, RED2stroke said:

I  can't imagine how hard it must have been to try and fire up with a side car in the way, I also have a Planeta and a Jupiter 91 and 92 vintage respectively, I will see if I can drag them out and let you listen to the 2 stroke symphony. As you will know they aren't exactly lightweights and if they start to fall over it's best to let them go rather than being catapulted 10 feet into the air as you try and stop them.

IMG_20200611_163420.jpg

That's what mine looked like, but in maroon. I seem to remember it having a Hella headlight and a VDO speedo, don't know if that made it posh, or just compliant to UK regs. Would love to hear it run, but be careful...

Not sure if this fits here, but I'm back on a motorbike for the first time in 6 years! 

received_2487409074738420.thumb.jpeg.66aefed068d75460294a59de6e225ecf.jpeg

We've been left some trials bikes, so me and my wife are getting to grips with going as slowly as possible! It's surprisingly good fun, and the engineering which has gone into them is interesting to see. A tiny radiator and cooling fan - makes sense as they are next to stationary for most of the time. Everything tucked away to avoid damage when you drop it.

Pleased that it's a hobby we can do together, as that means no complaining :-)

20210116_151321.thumb.jpg.80fe437ac26913d6f73fb3b2d49b011b.jpg

Bit the bullet and listed the GS for sale - its the one bike out of the fleet of three that I can just about consider selling. The ZZR is hopefully a very long term machine and the little SV is huge fun without costing the earth. Thing is I'm not hardly using any of them at the moment and even when spring is here I won't get much chance. Will probably regret selling the GS because its been a laugh owning it, but such is life. On the upside, the next dryish dayI'm determined to take the SV for a blat - I've got 8 weeks of commuting to Chester ahead of me and I really want to use the bike if possible.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:08 PM, mat_the_cat said:

Not sure if this fits here, but I'm back on a motorbike for the first time in 6 years! 

received_2487409074738420.thumb.jpeg.66aefed068d75460294a59de6e225ecf.jpeg

We've been left some trials bikes, so me and my wife are getting to grips with going as slowly as possible! It's surprisingly good fun, and the engineering which has gone into them is interesting to see. A tiny radiator and cooling fan - makes sense as they are next to stationary for most of the time. Everything tucked away to avoid damage when you drop it.

Pleased that it's a hobby we can do together, as that means no complaining :-)

20210116_151321.thumb.jpg.80fe437ac26913d6f73fb3b2d49b011b.jpg

how much to hire one m9? :D

I may have previously posted this but has anyone on here got a Grom?

I just love the appeal of them. I have watched quite a few reviews, saw people saying the quality was built to last but also cheap feeling at the same time. I'm around 95kg so would like to know how much that would effect performance. I have my full bike license and have had quite a range of bikes but this little 125 just looks like a lot of fun and ideal for most of the type of riding I have time for at the moment (Pre Covid) which is just shorter evening/weekend blasts.

If anyone has bought one from new did you manage to get a test ride? I enquired around Autumn last year and I was told by a couple of places that they didn't have Grom demo bikes. I really need to try one before I commit to one. Not set on new or used and I'm not fussed on year, I personally quite like the older style light as well.