The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

[mention=5569]They_all_do_that_sir[/mention]
nice fart cannon for your handbag
i was either gonna buy that
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-for-Honda-NC750-X-S-NC700-X-S-12-19-GRmoto-Muffler-Carbon/274024541737
s-l1600.jpg
or that
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NC750S-NC750X-2014-2017-200mm-ROUND-STAINLESS-SILENCER-EXHAUST-KIT/293730474026
s-l1600.jpgreason for buying one is havent for aaaages also the delkevic one it clears the caliper making rear brake message easier
its been 12 months since i bought the bike i cba tho

Delkevic are well made but loud without the baffle. No idea on the GR ones but they seem well priced

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

this makes me laugh

hes got all sorts of bikes grom cb500x ryker cub 125

hes just ordered an aprilia rs660 (no idea) without even looking at it

saw this and 9:15 - he comes across a gtr on the freeway

obvs no match ryker might do 120 flat - he was doing 85 in places and the gtr gassed it - he went to 105 at one point and gtr was still gone

nice noise tho

I bought one of those carbon fibre £29 endcans from ebay (even came with an aluminium Akropovic badge which is now on my toolbox). Quality is really good as three and a half years my brother says it's still in great condition. Not much louder than stock, just a different tone, and 100 times better looking than the standard silencer.

2 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

I bought one of those carbon fibre £29 endcans from ebay (even came with an aluminium Akropovic badge which is now on my toolbox). Quality is really good as three and a half years my brother says it's still in great condition. Not much louder than stock, just a different tone, and 100 times better looking than the standard silencer.

if you mean the danmoto ones

utter shite - maybe he was lucky

less than 200 quid for one of these type is cheap - but then its took me 12 months to decide not to buy one but i still keep looking

i might one day :D

No, not a Danmoto one, just a cheap Chinese one from ebay. I stuck it on the CBR 600 and ran it through a winter, and it washed up like new. Sold the bike to my brother and he says the endcan is still in great condition. Must be about 30% of the weight of the Honda one.

Wondering now if two of them will fit the Speed Triple.

So I did buy the GSXR I posted about and am shopping for the bits it needs. 

Are the dogs on these gears OK?

Not sure if this is showing wear or what they are supposed to look like.

s-l1600.jpg

More pics on the ebay listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-GSXR-600-GSXR600-K2-Engine-Gears-Gearbox/353119996529?hash=item5237978a71:g:X~EAAOSw6VRe9hCi

the right hand one looks ok iin that pic - the bits missing thats looks like its supposed to be like that

the left one - again looks ok - the tooth 3 up from the bottom theres marks on the end of the tooth but it doesnt look broken

same as a car does it make noises in gear does it make shit noises when you select gears?

if not id say you might be ok

I've not even ridden the bike yet but the seller told me 6th gear sounds like putting your foot down when reversing a car.

From looking online it's not unusual for GSXRs of this age.

You can still get the bits new from Suzuki but to get the two 6th gear cogs is about 200 quid hence looking 2nd hand.

But I don't want to buy pre-broken or warn second hand.

Cheers. I also remembered that I actually have some pictures of worn dogs in my own flipping thread from the last time I bought a turn of the century sports bike with a broken gearbox (evidently I never learn)

4c01940a6ea6e336053ba544ed828516.jpg

That's a honda box but you can see the wear to the dogs, they're all rounded from the previous owner booting it into second while on the back wheel.

A mere 8 months or so after collecting the BMW from Cavcraft it is finally home. I collected it the weekend before the first lockdown and parked it in my late mothers garage as it was empty after the previous tenant had done a runner. Shortly after I went to work in Norway and I let the house out in my absence to really nice people. They were in no rush for me to move it and I was as ever short of space, so...... 

Last week they called to say they now needed the space, so today myself and a friend went over with his trailer. I have wanted a BMW Boxer since I was a youth, so I was so pleased to get this one. Once at the bike, the sun was shining so decided before loading it on the trailer I decided to take it for my first run. Lovely day, empty roads, and my long longed for dream bike. And - shock, horror, I don't like it! It is comfortable, rapid and handles far better than my riding ability. But it is too big, too heavy and too modern. Not for me, what do they say, never meet your heroes! Whilst it is home, I fear it will not be here long. A friend of mine has already expressed interest in it but if he decides not to go for it, up for sale it will go. I am currently thinking a Velo-Solex will be the perfect replacement!

778688779_IMG_05241.thumb.JPG.f20d585759f8597f8a4b4817e521ba1f.JPG

It's a strange thing if you're not used to them. Struggled as not used to big bikes and don't do big mileage trips, but that BMW is a lovely machine none the less.

Meanwhile, my mate needed his garage space back so I collected the Yamaha back from him today. It was essentially just a frame, engine and boxes of bits, but is now up and running. Still needs a lot of work but at least it's (mostly) together now. 

Had to muck about moving things round to get my Vespa out of the garage and shift another bike to another lock-up, so there's no room or time to finish this off, sadly.

IMG_20201107_115127.thumb.jpg.65d5105a8d747cc9577ff9fd2f8adc01.jpg

IMG_20201107_115135.thumb.jpg.0863750e5d1e43d8c21c8d5b763cdc3a.jpg

22 hours ago, Saabnut said:

A mere 8 months or so after collecting the BMW from Cavcraft it is finally home. I collected it the weekend before the first lockdown and parked it in my late mothers garage as it was empty after the previous tenant had done a runner. Shortly after I went to work in Norway and I let the house out in my absence to really nice people. They were in no rush for me to move it and I was as ever short of space, so...... 

Last week they called to say they now needed the space, so today myself and a friend went over with his trailer. I have wanted a BMW Boxer since I was a youth, so I was so pleased to get this one. Once at the bike, the sun was shining so decided before loading it on the trailer I decided to take it for my first run. Lovely day, empty roads, and my long longed for dream bike. And - shock, horror, I don't like it! It is comfortable, rapid and handles far better than my riding ability. But it is too big, too heavy and too modern. Not for me, what do they say, never meet your heroes! Whilst it is home, I fear it will not be here long. A friend of mine has already expressed interest in it but if he decides not to go for it, up for sale it will go. I am currently thinking a Velo-Solex will be the perfect replacement!

I loved mine, after I'd done a good few hundred miles on it.. I hated it at first and riding it home I was already writing the advert in my head. Ended up doing a thousand mile day on it, and taking it to Poland.  They do take a bit of getting used to!

22 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Wish I had stolen a quick ride of that before Billy sold it. Weirdly ended up buying a BMW after selling the CBR1000F and trading in the Transalp.

Someone at work is after a big cruiser, so if your sale falls through, p.m me some details of which I can pass on.

I've never owned a boxer BMW but... I did a load of work on a GS1150 (or a 1200, can't recall) for a mate and was told to ride it a lot to find any more problems. Like you, I hated it, hated everything about it from the rocking thing they do whe you blip the throttle to the stupid switchgear, the appalling gearchange the brakes, the power delivery...

Used it for a month or so and loved it so much I seriously contemplated buying it, problem with that was: I'd done such a brilliant job of cleaning eery bit of the sod, changed a load of rusty fasteners, painted the front engine case etc, the sod mate wanted a bloody fortune for it! He got it as well.

They are odd, they need a certain amount of time to 'get it'. Another mate of mine had drooled over R90s since they first came out. He finally got one about 2008 and he rode it home and I could see from the way he rode it, his body language etc that he was wildly disappointd. A month later he was trying to get the law changed so he could marry the sodding thing and he bored everyne to bits about how wonderful it was.

Stick with it for a while, they come to you slowly...

19 hours ago, Barry Cade said:

... riding it home I was already writing the advert in my head.

I did that! The one and only time I rode my Vespa Sprint; back from the MOT station. That bastard was on eBay the same afternoon 🤣

Joking apart, though, I've never owned a boxer but all the UMG articles I've read about them - stuff actually written by owners, remember - suggest, as Barry says, that they are bikes that you grow into rather than love immediately. Maybe give it a bit longer, @Saabnut?

You have to reprogram how you ride, especially if you've come from Japan fours. Ride on the torque, don't go chasing revs as they get a bit breathless above 6k, you can brake, hard, into and around a corner.. telelever doesn't dive so you can carry a surprising amount of speed in , and the brakes are superb.  I found I settled in to it after about an hour and could go scraping pegs and embarrassing gsxr's once my head was in it, but before this I was wobbling around like a learner.

The bike is lovely in a lot of ways, and I am sure I could get to love it except for two things.

1. I am an old git and I live in the North East of Scotland, I have not ridden regularly for 20 years and I am now very much a fair weather short trip biker. Based on this, getting used to it in a couple of thousand miles will take 4 or 5 years! :-)

2. The big one. Literally.  I am not particularly tall and I have always ridden physically smaller bikes, RD400, 400/550/750 Four, BSA 650, AJS 650 etc etc. The two exceptions I had were a CBX 1000 (the 6 cylinder one) and a Goldwing 1500 both of which I disliked due to physical size and neither lasted that long. The BMW is also a physically big bike and it is that I don't like.

9 hours ago, Saabnut said:

The bike is lovely in a lot of ways, and I am sure I could get to love it except for two things.

1. I am an old git and I live in the North East of Scotland, I have not ridden regularly for 20 years and I am now very much a fair weather short trip biker. Based on this, getting used to it in a couple of thousand miles will take 4 or 5 years! :-)

2. The big one. Literally.  I am not particularly tall and I have always ridden physically smaller bikes, RD400, 400/550/750 Four, BSA 650, AJS 650 etc etc. The two exceptions I had were a CBX 1000 (the 6 cylinder one) and a Goldwing 1500 both of which I disliked due to physical size and neither lasted that long. The BMW is also a physically big bike and it is that I don't like.

The seat and bars are adjustable..if it helps?

This arrived last week:
1fe0037266a3f3cd0c02ce61567d30e5.jpg

Much lighter than the standard one, and feels nicely made. Tidies the rear end up nicely.

This had to come out too, with it in it sounded close to standard.

9267ce2467aaa3e314f994ba47c8e0c8.jpg

It doesn't look like much but makes a big enough difference. It was rivetted in place too - taking a drill to your nice new exhaust is fun......I guess they have to do this to pass type approval?

I even made a wee video. I'll do a better one on the bike it it ever stops raining'

4 hours ago, They_all_do_that_sir said:

This arrived last week:
1fe0037266a3f3cd0c02ce61567d30e5.jpg

Much lighter than the standard one, and feels nicely made. Tidies the rear end up nicely.

This had to come out too, with it in it sounded close to standard.

9267ce2467aaa3e314f994ba47c8e0c8.jpg

It doesn't look like much but makes a big enough difference. It was rivetted in place too - taking a drill to your nice new exhaust is fun......I guess they have to do this to pass type approval?

I even made a wee video. I'll do a better one on the bike it it ever stops raining'

fly bai obvs :D

Back in lockdown and on furlough again. Weather is to wet to work outside so it's time to start the winyer rebuild come mini resto of the mighty GeePeeZed.

Before

DSC_9563.thumb.JPG.2b3b13a564b8c6c0a766d383bcfac12f.JPG

And after day 1 in the garage.....

DSC_9731.thumb.JPG.bfe3febcc0904b36d1e4fe6c6c93433e.JPG

It's getting pulled completely apart to get a powder coated frame, head gasket replaced and a hundred other small jobs done. 

Can highly reccommend the £60 "screw jack" style lift platform. Bought for trail bikes but perfect for this job too.