The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

10 minutes ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Bit of a grump here. 

Have been offered for free a kymco yup!. 250 cc.

Think vespa px that has eaten way too much.

Been stood for 4 years.

Grump is here costs min 150 euros transfer ownership and 50 odd immediately for ownership tax even before i can see if is savable.

This annoys me 

That's a bummer, but being stood for four years is unlikely to kill a Kymco; they're pretty decent little scooters. The main problem will be getting parts - it's been hit and miss here over the years, but a lot better these days. No idea what it's like in Euro-land. 

Have you at least got pictures of the beast?

1 hour ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Bit of a grump here. 

Been stood for 4 years.

Grump is here costs min 150 euros transfer ownership and 50 odd immediately for ownership tax even before i can see if is savable.

This annoys me 

bolox to that

Brake caliper rebuild kits, are all aftermarket bits of rubber equally shit?

Need some for the SV, £28 on ebay for everything or probably £100+ for genuine Suzuki.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV650S-Front-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Seals-Nipples-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-x-2/193593338166

Is there anything inbetween or are more expensive aftermarket the same shit in a different box?

4 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Bit of a grump here. 

Been stood for 4 years.

This annoys me 

Very similar here in Spain.

My days of regularly purchasing bikes on a whim are now officially over.

17 hours ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

Bit of a grump here about continental bureaucracy.

13 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Very similar here in Spain.

My days of regularly purchasing bikes on a whim are now officially over.

We have a lot to moan about in the UK, but not when it comes to buying/selling  motorised vehicles. Its an absolute cinch with very little bureaucracy and what there is is usually free and seamless. It just seems to be so difficult in the rest of the world.

13 minutes ago, martc said:

We have a lot to moan about in the UK, but not when it comes to buying/selling  motorised vehicles. Its an absolute cinch with very little bureaucracy and what there is is usually free and seamless. It just seems to be so difficult in the rest of the world.

And, because of our geography, location and lack of any other country who wants our used cars we are swimming in cheap used cars that can be had for less than a weeks wage.

We are not the only right hand drive Island nation surrounded in continental left handers actually. But the upshot is that cheap cars don't get pushed out of our market to poorer continental neighbours so we end up swimming in our own shite in terms of use cars and used parts.

Good for us!

15 hours ago, Dave_Q said:

Brake caliper rebuild kits, are all aftermarket bits of rubber equally shit?

Need some for the SV, £28 on ebay for everything or probably £100+ for genuine Suzuki.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-SV650S-Front-Brake-Caliper-Piston-Seals-Nipples-Repair-Rebuild-Kit-x-2/193593338166

Is there anything inbetween or are more expensive aftermarket the same shit in a different box?

IME with Honda there's no appreciable difference between aftermarket tat and their own (apart from the aforementioned cost, obv).

I sold my UK car here in Spain within 2 minutes of advertising it. Buyer (a Spanish based dealer but  with a trading address in the UK) had a very quick look over the car, then went on line and did the transfer. He drove off as the new owner within 10 minutes.

Had to wait 6 days for the transfer of the Spanish registered car I bought to be done before I could drive it away.

30 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

And, because of our geography, location and lack of any other country who wants our used cars we are swimming in cheap used cars that can be had for less than a weeks wage.

We are not the only right hand drive Island nation surrounded in continental left handers actually. But the upshot is that cheap cars don't get pushed out of our market to poorer continental neighbours so we end up swimming in our own shite in terms of use cars and used parts.

Good for us!

@Tim_Ejust noticed your profile, are you sure you want the whole world to know exactly where you live? is the field outside yours and your conservatory door is unlocked :D

5 hours ago, Jazoli said:

@Tim_Ejust noticed your profile, are you sure you want the whole world to know exactly where you live? is the field outside yours and your conservatory door is unlocked :D

No, not if people are starting to cotton on!

Although, there are forums I would not trust, some that I would.

I imagine in this thread there will still be riders 'of a certain age' who were fans of the Used Motorcycle Guide, the only bike mag that didn't take advertising and could therefore say whatever it liked about bikes, dealers... whatever. Plus most of the content was written by actual owners, as opposed to some journo who had done two laps of a car park on the machine in question.

The editor, Bill Fowler, sold up and it wasn't long before the magazine was absorbed into the altogether inferior Used Bike Guide, and arguably the most radical writer on the subject of motorcycling disappeared off the face of the earth.  And now, he's back; with a blog here for anyone interested.

Might be a bit new for in here but worth a go.
2001 GSXR 750, advertised as:

"Starts first time everytime, runs quiet but bogs over 6krpm any gear, never stalls just won't go anywhere fast.

I have changed the tea bag fuel filter, still bogs"

Any clues as to if this is an easy fix m8 or run for the hills? Think this is a fuel injected model.

This is the bike although it's now on FB for £1100. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164391196913

1 hour ago, Dave_Q said:

Might be a bit new for in here but worth a go.
2001 GSXR 750, advertised as:

"Starts first time everytime, runs quiet but bogs over 6krpm any gear, never stalls just won't go anywhere fast.

I have changed the tea bag fuel filter, still bogs"

Any clues as to if this is an easy fix m8 or run for the hills? Think this is a fuel injected model.

This is the bike although it's now on FB for £1100. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164391196913

Way too modern for me to comment on, soz. It's gone now though - did you bag the beast??

No it didn't sell on eBay, it's still advertised on fb marketplace.

I spotted one of his pictures was a screenshot of an eBay picture so found the eBay listing which has slightly more description.

A bit of searching suggests it could be the fuel pump which is cheap and cheerful or it could be some sort of sensors or flaps to do with the injection which is less so.

Also 6th gear is not meant to whine and that's a couple of hundred in bits to fix properly.

The bike is only about £1500 worth fixed due to the cosmetics and miles so it may or may not stack up depending on how easy the engine side of the fix is...

On 10/31/2020 at 9:17 PM, strangeangel said:

I imagine in this thread there will still be riders 'of a certain age' who were fans of the Used Motorcycle Guide, the only bike mag that didn't take advertising and could therefore say whatever it liked about bikes, dealers... whatever. Plus most of the content was written by actual owners, as opposed to some journo who had done two laps of a car park on the machine in question.

The editor, Bill Fowler, sold up and it wasn't long before the magazine was absorbed into the altogether inferior Used Bike Guide, and arguably the most radical writer on the subject of motorcycling disappeared off the face of the earth.  And now, he's back; with a blog here for anyone interested.

I still have lots of these. Happy Henry - with his penchant for old women and swinging his tyre iron.

1 minute ago, Bren said:

I still have lots of these. Happy Henry - with his penchant for old women and swinging his tyre iron.

Fowler/The UMG put out a few paperbacks during the mag's heyday, there was at least one Happy Henry one. The guy who wrote HH was called George Lee, but it was widely suspected that Fowler and George Lee were one and the same.

1 minute ago, martc said:

I used to 'take' (I think that is the correct olde worlde word) UMG and had a few tales I can remember thinking I should submit but I didn't.

Is 'Happy Henry' Henry Cole? I think he was associated with either UMG or UBG.

No, HH is a fictional character. To the best of my knowledge Cole never had anything to do with the UMG. It was all the work of Bill Fowler and guest contributors; albeit more than a couple of the regular ones were - as I alluded to above - often alleged to be Fowler's own work. George Lee, Johnny Malone and Al Culler (another one who had a paperback in his name) spring immediately to mind.

I'd love to know for sure! Now he's turned up again I might have to ask him.

16 minutes ago, martc said:

Re: HC - perhaps I'm thinking about him having something to do with Classic Bike Guide?

Turns out he also invented the Christmas card.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cole

Possibly? That was run by a bloke called Frank Westworth (who had an article published in one of the very early UMGs) and was a bit shit, if I'm honest; like a watered-down, sanitised version of the UMG, so it's entirely believable that Henry Cole might have been involved.

Have found Italian motorcycle parts and accessories company who trade loads on eBay, who had a reasonably priced link pipe and silencer for the V85.

Order placed, and then I read some shit reviews on uktrustpilot......and on some forums. I looked up their address on street-view and it's just some flats.

https://www.omniaracing.net

To be fair to them all their eBay ratings seem good so I'll give them a chance. Especially as I've already made the order

Exhaust in question:

3e2d3d9bd46be8a22c730da61925aa08.jpg

Cost £180 including postage. That's for a stainless slip on + link pipe. Everything else for the V85 is in the sort of £500 to £1000 range which is mental.

Storm seem to be an alright brand, owned I think by MIVV. It's probably not Akra quality but it's also not ££££££ so we shall see.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

just had a retail therapy for the shit honda :D

givi handguards 80 + post - a cheeky twat on ebay is asking 120 ffs

missed out on a set of second hand ones in the summer so look every now and again

google searched the givi part no and there was a listing via wish for 31 quid (!)

looked at the pics and info and they are identical in shape and come with the fixings

thats prolly where givi have them made ffs

40 quid delivered

just gotta wait now :D

@They_all_do_that_sir

nice fart cannon for your handbag :P

i was either gonna buy that

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-for-Honda-NC750-X-S-NC700-X-S-12-19-GRmoto-Muffler-Carbon/274024541737

s-l1600.jpg

or that

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NC750S-NC750X-2014-2017-200mm-ROUND-STAINLESS-SILENCER-EXHAUST-KIT/293730474026

s-l1600.jpgreason for buying one is havent for aaaages also the delkevic one it clears the caliper making rear brake message easier

its been 12 months since i bought the bike i cba tho :D