The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

1 hour ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Sometimes when tired in the rain and London traffic the gears and lack of pace on my LML starts to make me hanker after a twisty scooter. I love the idea of a maxi but I wonder if an SH300 would make the better all-rounder 

My mate put 85,000 miles on his SH300 in 4 years. Apart from consumables, it needed nothing

I had one on loan from Honda for a short while, and I loved it, 85 mph and 75 mpg achieved easily. That was until it rained and I got absolutely soaked. The maxi scooters offer far better in weather protection.

41 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

My mate put 85,000 miles on his SH300 in 4 years. Apart from consumables, it needed nothing

I had one on loan from Honda for a short while, and I loved it, 85 mph and 75 mpg achieved easily. That was until it rained and I got absolutely soaked. The maxi scooters offer far better in weather protection.

Flippin eck that is some mileage... had a bit of a scout around and the Kymco downtown 300 looks pretty good value and a bit more maxi-like. 

I like the look of the piaggio X10 too- spaceship styling FTW!! 

26 minutes ago, LostnotFound said:

I know this is a bit 2019, but I thought riding a maxi scoot in London meant you were lucky if it was stolen when parked rather than with you on it? Or has it got better down there?

Hmm not sure tbh. I thought it was the size down from Maxi scooters that was mostly in demand, the Vespa GTS being the zenith. 

2 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Hmm not sure tbh. I thought it was the size down from Maxi scooters that was mostly in demand, the Vespa GTS being the zenith. 

Scrotes are still nicking the Tmax for fun in and around London, largely because it's the fastest widely-available step-thru, then riding them two up in the pursuit of a variety of crimes, including nicking bikes from people at traffic lights. A chap I know on a scooter forum had his taken by scum only a couple of weeks ago.

2 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

The GTS is the favourite amongst the drug dealers. The 300 and 125 are identical, and the VIN plate is hard to get to without tools, so a roadside stop won't establish its identity. Buy a bashed up 125, insure it then bung the plate on your stolen 300. 

3 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

Scrotes are still nicking the Tmax for fun in and around London, largely because it's the fastest widely-available step-thru, then riding them two up in the pursuit of a variety of crimes, including nicking bikes from people at traffic lights. A chap I know on a scooter forum had his taken by scum only a couple of weeks ago.

When I had the 400 Piaggio, I used to hate stopping at traffic lights on the A13 in case it was hijacked.  I resorted to putting 125 badges on it as a futile deterrent.

Bought a pair of Ventura luggage L brackets for my Triumph from ebay. Tried to fit them today, but they are not from a Street Triple.

Contacted the seller who, without me asking, refunded me in full. He said he bought them as they were cheap, and he wanted them for a welding project. He never got around to it, so advertised them as they were advertised to him. Cannot say fairer than that.

So I've a set of brackets that I have no idea what they will fit. No doubt they will now gather dust in the workshop.

Got this rucksack bag from Decathlon for £40. It’s designed for paddle boarding so it’s ridiculously waterproof, but my favourite thing about it is the integrated straps which means it’s ultra handy and secure to attach it to the racks on my scooter. Has instantly improved my commute. 

BA9ED05C-BA90-40A3-8DA1-F7C9875EE856.jpeg

4 hours ago, Fabergé Greggs said:

Got this rucksack bag from Decathlon for £40. It’s designed for paddle boarding so it’s ridiculously waterproof, but my favourite thing about it is the integrated straps which means it’s ultra handy and secure to attach it to the racks on my scooter. Has instantly improved my commute. 

BA9ED05C-BA90-40A3-8DA1-F7C9875EE856.jpeg

at first I thought that was a Lithium ion battery thats ballooned LOL

I bought lomo panniers and top bag for my big road trip that never happened. They seem good quality and were pretty cheap. The top bag was something like £11.50 and the panniers were around £50 for the pair if I remember right.

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, doug said:

I bought lomo panniers and top bag for my big road trip that never happened. They seem good quality and were pretty cheap. The top bag was something like £11.50 and the panniers were around £50 for the pair if I remember right.

Yeah I've got a Lomo Dry bag that I strap to the rack which is great and was much cheaper, but for commuting and using various scooters you have to carry around straps too and remove them every time you park so they don't get pilfered. I really wanted something with integrated fixings and this is all I could find. It's also so secure given that the straps are fixed- I'm always paranoid that things will fall off. 

1 hour ago, doug said:

Same here! Bought them then found a bag in Lidl, combined with some small Rok Straps, was ideal for last years six week tour of France, Spain and Portugal

So if anyone is interested in the Lomo panniers and Lomo roll bag (unwrapped but never used) let me know. 

17 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Same here! Bought them then found a bag in Lidl, combined with some small Rok Straps, was ideal for last years six week tour of France, Spain and Portugal

So if anyone is interested in the Lomo panniers and Lomo roll bag (unwrapped but never used) let me know. 

I'd definitely be interested - are the panniers the 30l ones?

It's a bit shit only have one full weekend off in two, so today had an extremely rare lie in and then forgot to drain the fuel out of the DMW, add new (and pre-mix it) before getting it going. 

Got as far as draining the old fuel and adding more before sloshing it about, fair play it absolutely stunk and looked like trucker's Tizer' after 15 pints of Stella...

IMG_20201010_180856.thumb.jpg.9366e4355ca436805c11e2d2acfad330.jpg

...even that picture flatters, it's much worse IRL.  Anyhow, will hopefully have another go tomorrow and then see what happens. It's starting to come through clear now and some of that colour might be the 2T oil from last time it was filled up, possibly years ago.

IMG_20201010_174704.thumb.jpg.98fca13054c127f72424d519a1de2623.jpg

On 07/10/2020 at 11:52, twosmoke300 said:

Off to Donny again . 300 quid shitter will have done 4 track days this year . Only had to change the front discs ( secondhand natch) and pads after I cooked them at cadwell in August . 

3004EEF8-EE13-4189-B2E8-1A1FF98543D8.jpeg

Where does one find a 300 quid shitter like that. 

1 hour ago, Cavcraft said:

It's a bit shit only have one full weekend off in two, so today had an extremely rare lie in and then forgot to drain the fuel out of the DMW, add new (and pre-mix it) before getting it going. 

Got as far as draining the old fuel and adding more before sloshing it about, fair play it absolutely stunk and looked like trucker's Tizer' after 15 pints of Stella...

IMG_20201010_180856.thumb.jpg.9366e4355ca436805c11e2d2acfad330.jpg

...even that picture flatters, it's much worse IRL.  Anyhow, will hopefully have another go tomorrow and then see what happens. It's starting to come through clear now and some of that colour might be the 2T oil from last time it was filled up, possibly years ago.

IMG_20201010_174704.thumb.jpg.98fca13054c127f72424d519a1de2623.jpg

The fuel in the bike was fresh just before you got it with some very expensive synthetic 2t oil in it (it was all I had). The stuff that I had to drain out was about 14 years old and was used to clean the chain on my 2 post lift. The sediment has been in there years and is a free extra* as it was supplied to me by the previous owner! Great to see something happening with it, more updates soon please....

6 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

The fuel in the bike was fresh just before you got it with some very expensive synthetic 2t oil in it (it was all I had). The stuff that I had to drain out was about 14 years old and was used to clean the chain on my 2 post lift. The sediment has been in there years and is a free extra* as it was supplied to me by the previous owner! Great to see something happening with it, more updates soon please....

Sorry, captain, hadn't realised it was new when I got it, it certainly wasn't intended as a snipe, just assumed it was old fuel.  Anyhow, it had started on it previously so can't be all bad, plus it saves me going too mad tomorrow doing it again! Do you think the gearbox oil will want changing, by the way?

It'll probably absolutely piss down tomorrow, but if it doesn't it'll get a run round the block and I'll post an update, absolutely itching to get out on it.

18 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

Sorry, captain, hadn't realised it was new when I got it, it certainly wasn't intended as a snipe, just assumed it was old fuel.  Anyhow, it had started on it previously so can't be all bad, plus it saves me going too mad tomorrow doing it again! Do you think the gearbox oil will want changing, by the way?

It'll probably absolutely piss down tomorrow, but if it doesn't it'll get a run round the block and I'll post an update, absolutely itching to get out on it.

I would guess the gearbox oil is from when it was restored n years ago (where n is a lot) certainly I have never even checked it. As a result it will probably be old but perfect as I don't think it did many miles, certainly in my ownership it covered less than 100 yards! :-) 

@Saabnut Maiden voyage complete

IMG_20201011_101119.thumb.jpg.d66a403afad1dfca1e19c57b8765d646.jpg

IMG_20201011_101127.thumb.jpg.ac8f808f3c6433ba95b0538307eef7da.jpg

Had to pull this Lambretta over though, the owner was far too cool to be out on the road

IMG_20201011_105222.thumb.jpg.fd2f6c8142e9e244619a72d954ea1fa5.jpg

IMG_20201011_105203.thumb.jpg.b2020d314844cd89985e90b3b73166f6.jpg

DMW was great fun, ran fine but likes a bit of choke to tick over. Struggling with gears and brakes being in the wrong place though.