The Bikeshite Thread

warren t claim

I bought this Beaver Brown Beauty last night - I've been hankering for an old nobber for a while and this is the spit of my first ever field bike, although it is in far nicer condition. I've ordered some XCP rust blocker to give it a good dowsing in, i'd quite like to keep its oily rag patina. It rode the 40 miles home quite happily, I had a right grin on :D

C90a.jpg

Suppose it was inevitable, really...

IMG_20200917_183047.thumb.jpg.f4c87594fa05395becc25f9327ff2c6b.jpg

IMG_20200917_183624.thumb.jpg.833fa91bc1242278e862cab20fa07160.jpg

The top photograph makes it look like it was collected, but actually the Supreme Leader of Glorious Mopeds (AKA @strangeangel) very kindly delivered it today.

Later on went to collect the little Honda and the Lambretta was ready but didn't have enough room to collect that...

IMG_20200917_181927.thumb.jpg.971b2d55e8dc8a5503078137b9044a70.jpg

IMG_20200917_182911.thumb.jpg.c323333f8dfe6b13c85a27ae7da5a500.jpg

Actually out of room now, time for a small clear out.

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

one for the bikeshite people I think?

been trying to figure out what this is, I did not think Tomos's went back to 1929? or just good ol DVLA shenanigans? 

image.thumb.png.6396dfec6a8de71204bb4b4d5483a367.png

(as a side note, I have noticed a amount of pre 1931 vehicles being registered today with the DVLA are motorcycles...)

Looks like a DVLA cock-up. Either the vehicle name is wrong or the year of manufacture is. Tomos started in the mid 50's and went bust last year. Their peak in the UK was in the 80's, so if it is a Tomos the year of manufacture could be 1979 or 1989 (in theory it could also be '59, '69 or '99 assuming the 19 is correct).

I can't think of any motorbike made in the 1920's that had a name similar enough to Tomos for it to be mis-interpreted.

Another strange aspect is the number itself, when numbers where manually issued the 'short' ones were often reserved for motorbikes as space was at a premium - in particular the front mudguard goolie chopper. Of course this was not a rule and some old bikes did have long numbers. In fact I have just googled  ' motorcycle "1929" uk'  and there are three bikes with a BF reg on the first page. Has the DVLA issued a block of BF numbers which weren't used in 1929?

1929 AJS M5 350cc SOLD (picture 1 of 6)Bygone Bikes - Classic MotorbikesFor Sale: Ariel Model F 1929 - Ariel Owners Motorcycle Club

interesting, yeah I had a feeling it was a cockup somewhere, I did a little bit of googling and as you say Tomos looks to have started in the 50s, not 1929!

BFxxxx is the current age related series issued to vehicles manufactured before 1931, (BF only very briefly  got issued in period as back then BF stood for Bloody fool and people did not want that on their cars!)

I brought it up in my thread, a few days ago as you can see they are nearing the end, and I am wondering what they will issue when they run out, off the top of my head the only 2 letter 4 digit plate series not issued is WCxxxx so we might finally see that issued (although there might be some remote scottish 2 letter 4 number combos that never fully got issued, they have used these in the past but i figured they would have issued them all first before moving onto BF, however I know for example ASxxxx was issued right until December 1964, when suffix plates became mandatory on January 1st 1965, so may have unused numbers still, that would be amusing if it got issued after BF :mrgreen: )

but since only 1 pre 1931 age related plate series is currently being issued, you can track all the fresh imports and re-registrations etc via the DVLA checker :)

heres another interesting one! Pre 1931 age related plate but Year of manufacture 2011! I suspect, it accidentally got registered as a 2011 motorcycle, but then someone just now in 2020 corrected the mistake and so the bike got issued a new appropriate age related plate, but the rest of the system is yet to update

1999496899_Screenshot2020-09-18at12_02_18.thumb.png.3f1aaca2d7fbbcb8ac549d75acf1b5ff.png

does correctly show up on the MOT checker, with a daytime MOT which is not something you see all that often!

image.thumb.png.e049847a4f13faf5e38a66de1b4ae668.png

Would guess the trumpet was first registered in 2011, whether that is imported or dragged out of a hedge and put on the computerized system.

Could it have been on a Q and now been put on age related?

Or imported 2011, motd on chassis number, sat since then and now registered without an MOT as not needed.

24 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Would guess the trumpet was first registered in 2011, whether that is imported or dragged out of a hedge and put on the computerized system.

Could it have been on a Q and now been put on age related?

Or imported 2011, motd on chassis number, sat since then and now registered without an MOT as not needed.

yeah its still "fresh" so not showing up on the ol special 3rd party tool just yet, but ill revisit it in a few days and see if I can figure out whats what :)

(I find vehicles MOT'ed on chassis numbers or foreign reg numbers dont show that MOT on their British registration number, but I have not had a particularly large sample size there)

7 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

interesting, yeah I had a feeling it was a cockup somewhere, I did a little bit of googling and as you say Tomos looks to have started in the 50s, not 1929!

BFxxxx is the current age related series issued to vehicles manufactured before 1931, (BF only very briefly  got issued in period as back then BF stood for Bloody fool and people did not want that on their cars!)

I'm kicking myself - I should have spotted the BF reference. I started work in the early 80's and a wonderful old duffer working there was just about to retire; he'd started there in the mid 1930's and he regularly referred to the Senior Management as a 'bunch of BF's'.

It looks like the date maybe correct if BF's are issued for per 1931 it makes sense. I wonder if the DVLA scribe picks the manufacturers name from a drop down box? For bikes I think Tomos would be just above (or even directly above?)Triumph on the list and could have been selected by mistake.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:08 PM, Cavcraft said:

The top photograph makes it look like it was collected, but actually the Supreme Leader of Glorious Mopeds (AKA @strangeangel) very kindly delivered it today.

Later on went to collect the little Honda and the Lambretta was ready but didn't have enough room to collect that...

That looks better than they usually did 30 years ago- What a find.

1 hour ago, martc said:

I'm kicking myself - I should have spotted the BF reference. I started work in the early 80's and a wonderful old duffer working there was just about to retire; he'd started there in the mid 1930's and he regularly referred to the Senior Management as a 'bunch of BF's'.

It looks like the date maybe correct if BF's are issued for per 1931 it makes sense. I wonder if the DVLA scribe picks the manufacturers name from a drop down box? For bikes I think Tomos would be just above (or even directly above?)Triumph on the list and could have been selected by mistake.

thats not a bad theory, I do know that a lot of makes have their own "DTP Make code" which is a unique code for a given vehicle manufacture I think it is something that goes way back to the start of the computerisation, I would not be surprised if vehicle records where stored in codes rather then full words to save space, but im not 100% sure (googling DTP Make code does bring up much sadly!)

I know for example "INVACAR" is ZA, "AC (ELECTRIC)" is Z0 and "TIPPEN DELTA" is Z5, so it obviously goes some way back if they have a dedicated make code for Invacar and Tippen Delta!  (and for those curious all the obscure makes and things with typos etc just get lumped under the code G9)

and I know back in the day when looking up a vehicle on the DVLA checker you had to type it in and it would give you a drop down list chose the make it was

so perhaps they still use a similar system on the back end? (I know the body type of a vehicle is also stored in code "invalid vehicle" is 08 and "Tricycle" is 09 and 02 is "4 Door saloon" for example)

perhaps when the V55/5 or whatever reaches their end the clerk first checks if the make written on the form already exists on the DVLA computer already and if it does they chose it from the drop down menu, and if it does not they enter it manually?

heres a web archive link to an old version of the DLVA checker, obviously does not work, but you can start typing makes and it will bring up the drop down menu 

http://web.archive.org/web/20140716041918/https://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

and for those curious about past pre 1931 age related plate's issued

On 07/09/2020 at 17:16, LightBulbFun said:

I THINK all those have already been used up AFAIK LOL

EL1000-1500, DS6574+, SL9737+ BS8000+ SV4001+ and BF are all the pre 1931 age related marks  I know of issued or currently being issued

perhaps there are some more small scottish areas that never finished issuing all their original allocation of 2 letter 4 number plates? 

I know for example ASxxxx was issued right to December 1964, but I dont know if they happened to use all of them up or not

(they never issued any AAAxxx plates jumping to AAS-C when in 1965 the Ministry forced everyone onto suffix plates so perhaps after BFxxxx runs out we will see some ASxxxx plates issued? LOL)

(wonder if I should have just dragged this whole thing back over to my thread!)

The ex @UltraWomble CB250 passed her MOT this morning, no advisories. Dead chuffed. She really is all I need in a bike, a definite keeper. The tester said he hadn't seen one in a few years and couldn't believe the mileage on her, 60800 now. Still sounding sweet as a nut. She will be put into winter storage now along side my sons speedfight and my mobylette, out of shot as I am just changing the carburettor for a new dellorto as the 50+ year old Gurtner is well past its best. 

IMG-20200919-WA0036.jpeg

18 hours ago, LightBulbFun said:

Interesting link - if I type in Tom... I get a choice of Tomos or de Tomaso, Tri... gives Triumph, Norton Villiers Triumph and Trigano (one for the cars I didn't know about until recently thread - in fact they are a French caravan and carvanette maker). On the basis of this I think my theory is a dud.

My brother in law passed away on Wednesday,he was only 52 and I'm tasked with sorting some of his stuff out.

He has a Yamaha 125 DT (1984)in his shed, not sure about condition but its supposed to be in pretty good nick.

Are these worth a lot and where do you think its best to sell it?

On 9/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, schonker said:

My brother in law passed away on Wednesday,he was only 52 and I'm tasked with sorting some of his stuff out.

He has a Yamaha 125 DT (1984)in his shed, not sure about condition but its supposed to be in pretty good nick.

Are these worth a lot and where do you think its best to sell it?

Sorry for your loss, chap. Like most classic 125s, this bike has significant value - subject to condition, of course. There's a tidy-looking 1984 DT125 on eBay at the moment being offered for £3000. Even if it's a basket case it'll be worth something. Do an advanced search on eBay for sold listings to get a more accurate idea.

I would shove it on eBay, personally, but not an auction as they seem to attract far too many throbbers for my liking. I'd stick it on as a classified with best offer and see how that goes.

Right, the Lambretta is back from the garage. Some sort of exhaust thing had loosened itself and caused the problem. Seems ok now (ha!) and a very pleasant maybe 4 mile test ride was enjoyed today. If there's a better mechanical sound than a two stroke with an expansion pipe as it's coming off a bit of throttle, I haven't heard it.

Obvs. though, not content with the back lens nearly coming off as one of the screws had worked its way loose and the other was nearly off, today the leg shield rubber trim tried to jump ship.

Log book here for the Derbi, so charged battery ready. 

Takes a few goes to start, then is an absolute bastard once even mildly warmed up. Some v.quick on line research suggests the plug is probably the culprit, and the one in it is not what the recommended one is supposed to be. Think I have a spare BR8ES somewhere, will try that or a 9 and see what it's like.

The back brake is quite shit, but everything else seems to work so might try and get it for an MOT and see what they say.

IMG_20200922_132237.thumb.jpg.8f36be7e5f19dbe38ad74358fe553192.jpg

18 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

The back brake is quite shit, but everything else seems to work so might try and get it for an MOT and see what they say.

I find rear discs a ballache on smaller bikes; the rear brake does so little in reality that it's easy for the caliper to partially seize. The C1 I'm working on now has done exactly this.

1 hour ago, strangeangel said:

I find rear discs a ballache on smaller bikes; the rear brake does so little in reality that it's easy for the caliper to partially seize. The C1 I'm working on now has done exactly this.

Cheers, will try and look at caliper to see if it needs freeing off a bit. The pedal does work/move as expected, and at pushing speed it seems ok, but actually riding the bike it seems a bit crap. 

Oddly enough, currently on 'phone trying to insure the Golden Showers at the moment.

Anyone got any ideas on a noise. On an SV650.

Sort of a grinding / whirring noise related to road speed, not engine speed (noise still there if i pull the clutch) that gets worse with speed and distance travelled - I.E its not that noticable first thing but after a few miles its worse. Mostly becomes apparent after about 20mph. Speedo gear on the wheel was recently greased. Chain is aligned and lubed. Bike Has always made the noise over the few thousand miles i've had it - its just more apparent since I put the exhaust back to stock.

Quite hard to tell where its coming from, sounds like its the front somewhere. Changed the wheel bearings to no effect. Not sure if it made the noise before I bought it as I replaced the chain and sprockets since they were an MOT fail. There is no vibration through the bars or anything so I don't think its the brakes. Engine performance is fine.

Wondering if its either a gearbox bearing going home, the front sprocket is wrong somehow (its a JT one, apparently the OEM ones have a dampener?), or the speedo itself is noisy.

I've yet to try removing the speedo drive gear or flipping the front sprocket - I don't think the JT one had an alignment i've managed to get wrong.

Thoughts?

16 minutes ago, tobyd said:

I've yet to try removing the speedo drive gear or flipping the front sprocket - I don't think the JT one had an alignment i've managed to get wrong.

Bad speedo drives can make some hideous noises; personally I have had this happen twice... I would definitely try the bike without it before spending coin on anything else.

On 9/7/2020 at 10:09 PM, Cavcraft said:

That Car Jeeva is absolutely class, be impressed if you can reach 90mph on it.

Be impressed. It did it and a bit on Sunday.

In a more controlled environment, like a better private test track than mine, there is definitely a ton in that bike. I absolutely fucking love it.

I'll be passing the Mito on in due course I think, can't see it getting ridden with this about.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:08 PM, Cavcraft said:

How much ur MBX M8?

Gives me the horn. I had an MTX 125 that was stolen years ago and loved it. 

A pal had the MBX, his was nicked too!

If it is for sale, P.M me please.

On 19/09/2020 at 16:18, martc said:

Interesting link - if I type in Tom... I get a choice of Tomos or de Tomaso, Tri... gives Triumph, Norton Villiers Triumph and Trigano (one for the cars I didn't know about until recently thread - in fact they are a French caravan and carvanette maker). On the basis of this I think my theory is a dud.

follow up on this: BF9326 is now showing on the 3rd party tools and its DTP Make code is VC which I checked is the make code for Tomos (I checked by just finding a random genuine tomos registration and shoving it in there and seeing what the make code came back as) so yeah go figure! maybe on the DVLA things are laid out a bit differently and the data entry clerk did miss click? LOL

(and for those curious BF9321 aint showing up yet sadly)